Pachter: Gamers "Have No Clue" About Recession

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i have purposely stopped buying things that are beyond necessity the hope that there is a collapse[on a global scale of course] ...except for cigarettes and booze....gimme a break if you aint smoking or drinking you are dying too slowly :p

in other words be glad you are not receiving your christmas gifts from me, for they shall be lame

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I've stopped buying videogames for now. I know, shocking right? It's just while I don't have a job, but I've used the opportunity to go back to some old favourites and comprehensively beat the shit out of FIFA09 (Anyone up for a game? JimboRK1...look me up).

I think people are just in the habit of picking up games at retail instead of renting of swapping copies between friends. It's going to take a while to break that cycle, but when gamers do we'll either see a helluva lot more piracy, game swapping or going over to a friends place to play a single player game with a friend (like we did when we were kids).

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I don't really see the big surprise... If someone said: Smokers "have no clue" about recession, people would think the person was crazy for even saying that. Gaming isn't THAT expensive, it's not like we're buying a new car every month. The economic crisis might become twice worse than it is now, but the gaming industry still wouldn't fall, it would be damaged, that's for sure, but it definitely wouldn't fall. I guess it would fall if the crisis went to the "I either eat today or play games" then ya, but otherwise it's rooted pretty deep. The reason things like this even cause people to turn around and shrug their shoulders is that gaming and anything along with it is still considered to be a no lifer thing by the major community. For example, yesterday I went to a party with my classmates and me being the driver, I had to stay alcohol-less. This gave me a great chance, while being sober in a party for once, see everything from a third person perspective and see what defines the non gaming "lifers" who sometimes criticize me. I found it strange how it's considered cool to get drunk, act like a complete idiot, dance to shitty music and then go out in the snow and smoke for an hour. The point I'm trying to make is that as long as the majority does something, it's considered normal, if the minority does something it, it's considered a waste of time.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Since I buy a game every month or so (mostly after price drops), recession really has no effect. Honestly, if I were affected by the recession deeply, I'd probably scale down on my buying but I'm not and no one I know is really affected much.

Honestly, if they didn't keep up the 'OMG RECESSION' like they're keeping up the 'OMG TERROR THREAT' I wouldn't have known/noticed anything.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I spent about $65ish taking a girl on a date the other week. (And this is a relatively cheap date, ~9.75 each for movie tickets, ~15.00 each for food/drinks, and fuel.)
I spent $60 on Gears 2 and I'm still playing it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
right...so who the hell thought to themselves 'OMG a recession! To hell with buying games right now, our economy is in turmoil!'

Anyone? And I thought British News was a joke...

joystickjunki3 said:
I won't stop. Even if there's a video game prohibition, I'll set up a speakeasy.
Damn straight! i'll be in there every day damnit!

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Heh...won't us buying games help keep the economy up? Spending and keeping money flowing, all that?