Painkiller: Hell and Damnation Doses Up Multiplayer

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Painkiller: Hell and Damnation Doses Up Multiplayer

The new DLC pack adds landmines and more to Painkiller: HD.

Painkiller: HD. What's the HD stand for? Harley Davidson? Home Depot? High Definition? Well, the last one works, but it's really Hell and Damnation, of course. It's the fancier remake of everyone's favorite horror shooter. Yes, it has that gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. It also has the one that pounds six foot stakes into beings both alive and undead. Now, it's about to get a little more of everything, thanks to the the [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/229250/]Full Metal Rocket[/a] DLC pack. While the previous packs primarily added single player content, this addition is all about expanding the multiplayer.

Full Metal Rocket adds little bits to almost everything. Three classic Painkiller maps are returning, as well as two new additions, each one rendered in gore-ious HD (according to the press release). You can play multiplayer with the new SS Zombie and Leper skins and blow your enemies apart with the new landmines. If direct social interaction isn't your thing, there's also a new Survival game mode that you can play all by your lonesome. In Survival, you'll run around, blowing apart new enemies while fighting with limited ammo. The best scores get tracked on a leaderboard, which is the perfect place to be passive-aggressive with the rest of the playerbase.

[a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/229250/]Full Metal Rocket[/a] is available on Steam for $3.99. Those just tuning in can grab it and the three previous three DLC packs for $14.99 as part of the [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/sub/27278/]DLC Bundle 1[/a].

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
too much DLC for a remake that was so half-assed. Bought it just to play the splitscreen and it works ...terribly.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
That game is a joke. You'd think it's a real remake but no, it doesn't have all of the levels from the original and it's terribly optimized. I'm seriously thinking it may be a get-rich-quick scheme with all the DLC etc. Also, multiplayer? LOL there are no servers at all!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, Painkiller Black Edition is still the best one you can have and this remake is just shoddy.
Plus the DLC pumps running mad you might be looking at $60 by the time they end this nonsense, maybe pick it up once the full content is made and comes down to $20, right now they are just after stupid money with a poor game.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Aren't landmines sort of against the point of the Painkiller style? Having to look where you're stepping all the time doesn't seem to mesh with the run and gun formula.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Ya I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, Painkiller Black Edition is still the best one you can have and this remake is just shoddy.
Plus the DLC pumps running mad you might be looking at $60 by the time they end this nonsense, maybe pick it up once the full content is made and comes down to $20, right now they are just after stupid money with a poor game.
The fact that this remake sucks is particularly frustrating to me, because I can't just take your advice. The original barely works on my modern rig (I'm defining work here as it starts up some of the time, it's glitched to...well hell).

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
FWIW, I liked the Hell and Damnation engine so much better. It felt like stairs actually functioned normally instead of being all CLUNK STOP CLUNK STOP. It was just missing all the good levels and didn't look measurably better.