Pandaren Join World Of Warcraft In Next Expansion

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Pandaren Join World Of Warcraft In Next Expansion

Mists Of Pandaria brings with it a new level cap, a host of gameplay additions and everyone's favorite race of Asiatic, boozy bears.

Announced during the currently ongoing BlizzCon 2011 gathering in Anaheim, California, the Mists of Pandaria expansion pack adds both a new race (the aforementioned Pandaren) as well as a new class (the martial arts-themed Monk) to World of Warcraft.

What's a Pandaren, you ask? Originally, the Pandaren started as something of a gag character. Prior to the release of WarCraft 3, Blizzard issued an April Fool's Day joke claiming the Pandaren would be the game's fifth playable race. Likewise, in 2005, the company announced that "Pandaren Xpress," an in-game food delivery service, would be opening in World of Warcraft. Again, this was an April Fools' Day gag.

Surprisingly, the fan reaction to these jokes was incredibly positive. Even when the deception was revealed, fans held out (very vocal) hope that Blizzard would somehow incorporate the kung fu-themed, anthropomorphic pandas into World of Warcraft. With Mists of Pandaria, Blizzard, always willing to capitalize on fan affection, has done just that.

As a playable race, the World of Warcraft Pandaren [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/pandaren/] can be either Horde or Alliance, can assume the role of almost any class, and even manage to facilitate a baffling reference to Disney's Gummi Bears cartoon via their resistance to falling damage.

Those of you who want explicit details on the expansion can visit Blizzard's site [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/]. I'd write it up here, but to be honest with you, there isn't much there to write about. So far the expansion lacks a release date and any sort of pricing information. It will extend the game's level cap to 90, but is anyone actually surprised to see that?

That said, the important non-panda bit of this expansion is the game's upcoming "Pet Battle System." A quick glance at the official page [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/pet-battle] might convince you that this is an attempt by Blizzard to replicate Pokémon within World of Warcraft, and according to every source I'm hearing from that's exactly correct. In place of Nintendo's beloved 'mon, Blizzard is using creatures from throughout the vast Azerothian bestiary, but otherwise the basic ideas of capturing, collecting and battling miniature beasts is entirely intact.

Say what you will about the lack of originality here, but this combination of hyper-addictive gameplay mechanics has leaped over the line separating "clever business move" from "diabolical supervillain plot."

Blizzard, I wish I knew how to quit you.

Source: Mists Of Pandaria [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/]

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
I called it! When all the WoW "know-hows" said picking your faction at the end of a Pandaren starting area was stupid, and not even worthy of consdieration, I stood by my suggestion, and I WAS RIGHT! Also, WoW Pokémon battles sounds so fucking rad.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
What's a Pandaren, you ask? Originally, the Pandaren started as something of a gag character. Prior to the release of WarCraft 3, Blizzard issued an April Fool's Day joke claiming the Pandaren would be the game's fifth playable race. Likewise, in 2005, the company announced that "Pandaren Xpress," an in-game food delivery service, would be opening in World of Warcraft. Again, this was an April Fools' Day gag.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Pandaren have always been in the Warcraft lore, way before these april fools jokes. The people getting all uppity about it really don't seem to know their lore that well (hell I don't even know it well, but I knew this).

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
So, But Wait! There's Lore! was right, and the implementation was just as they said it probably would be. Not surprised in the slightest.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I honestly don't understand Blizzards thinking behind this. As someone who was a huge fan of the Warcraft franchise and who tried to keep up with the story in WOW while I played I know there are easily dozens of better established and, bluntly put, more interesting places the developers could have chosen to explore. Places with ties to ongoing thread throughout the over-arching story and which could advance the story as a whole.

But they went with the panda? Really? The in-game joke from Warcraft 3 which other than being a pile of walking amusing cliche serves no real purpose? Was there really some tiny demographic of people out there saying to themselves "WOW just isn't silly or cartoony enough for my tastes yet, it's needs more Kung-Fu Pandas!"?

Would have though Blizzard would be trying to go after lapsed players like myself by tugging my lingering interest in the setting by introducing something, you know, important. Make an expansion where we travel to the Twisting Nether and discover the fate of Turalyon and Alleria from Warcraft 2 for example, that would have been amazing.

This, erm, not so much. Guess I was wrong. Bit of a missed opportunity in my mind, pity.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Pandas are neat I guess. I think it's silly that people would rage about them when the game already has something like 15 anthropomorphic animals in it but goddamnit if they're black and white GET OUT.

And really? REALLY? REEAAAALLY? Pokemon battles?

It's difficult to even wrap my head around how fucking awesome that is. Couple that with that diablo 3 promotion and blizzard is driving a very hard bargain.

Karthak

Feb 8, 2010
I find it amusing that people say they ripped off Kung Fu Panda. The first Pandaren to appear in Warcraft was Chen Stormstout, who was in the Horde campaign in The Frozen Throne, way back in 2003 (five years before Kung Fu Panda came out).

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Pandaren have always been in the Warcraft lore, way before these april fools jokes. The people getting all uppity about it really don't seem to know their lore that well (hell I don't even know it well, but I knew this).
Forget it.

ZeroMachine's post a few comments down defends me better than I did. Go read his thing on why I'm right.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Somehow I knew they were going to pull crap like this again. They should have just turned that in to a Dragon Age like RPG. And then switch the main game to a F2P model that doesn't suck (it's a trial, ffs. Not f2p)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren#A_history_of_rumors

No, they haven't. They weren't ALWAYS in Warcraft lore. I've been a Warcraft fan since II, and there wasn't a single reference, and there also wasn't one in the original.

Pandarens are a product of the more outrageous turns that Warcraft started to take during the Warcraft 3 era. Before you try to call out other people on being dead wrong about things, make sure you aren't dead wrong yourself.

Not that I got that out of the way, as much as I LOVE Pandarens, having an entire expansion based around them rather than a hefty patch just seems kind of silly and self defeating. Ever since Burning Crusade, the expansions have tackled ENORMOUS loose ends in Warcraft lore (the defeat of Illidan, the long-awaited war against the Lich King, the return of Deathwing) but this? It's a step in a strange, backwards, and sideways direction.

But I guess they just needed to do something light hearted.

Ah, I'm not complaining. The environments look beautiful, as usual, and the new race/class intrigues me.

Looking forward to it.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The Madman said:
Was there really some tiny demographic of people out there saying to themselves "WOW just isn't silly or cartoony enough for my tastes yet, it's needs more Kung-Fu Pandas!"?
Apparently so. Though I suspect that demographic is smaller than Blizzard thinks. They've yet to learn that no matter how outspoken some forumites are, they only represent a slim minority of players.

In other news, I have absolutely zero worry about being tempted to re-sub.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Pandarens joining as a playable race? The new Monk class? WoW-style pokemon battles?

Dammit, I thought I had FINALLY quit WoW. But... I cannot resist this.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Leemaster777 said:
Pandarens joining as a playable race? The new Monk class? WoW-style pokemon battles?

Perfect usage of the Fry-meme. I might get on board for this again...NO. I CAN'T. MUST RESIST.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
The Madman said:
I honestly don't understand Blizzards thinking behind this. As someone who was a huge fan of the Warcraft franchise and who tried to keep up with the story in WOW while I played I know there are easily dozens of better established and, bluntly put, more interesting places the developers could have chosen to explore. Places with ties to ongoing thread throughout the over-arching story and which could advance the story as a whole.

But they went with the panda? Really? The in-game joke from Warcraft 3 which other than being a pile of walking amusing cliche serves no real purpose? Was there really some tiny demographic of people out there saying to themselves "WOW just isn't silly or cartoony enough for my tastes yet, it's needs more Kung-Fu Pandas!"?

Would have though Blizzard would be trying to go after lapsed players like myself by tugging my lingering interest in the setting by introducing something, you know, important. Make an expansion where we travel to the Twisting Nether and discover the fate of Turalyon and Alleria from Warcraft 2 for example, that would have been amazing.

This, erm, not so much. Guess I was wrong. Bit of a missed opportunity in my mind, pity.
I understand this, it's easy and by now the majority of the playerbase doesn't really care about lore anymore. It seems to me Blizzard are now just trying to keep everyone playing while they work on their next MMO which will, finally, be the death of WoW.

I don't think it's such a weird move not to pour lots of money and original thought into an expansion of a dying game.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
Leemaster777 said:

Perfect usage of the Fry-meme. I might get on board for this again...NO. I CAN'T. MUST RESIST.
I'm sorry, but I find your avatar HIGHLY appropriate to this thread.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I've only just gotten into WoW, and I'm still trying to figure out how to afford the expansions that are out now. I'm going to have to shell out about $100 just to keep playing. I' not even uber-addicted to it as I was promised I would be. It's fun, fun enough to want to play, but not enough that I have to spend every waking moment of every day playing. Given a choice between playing and screwing, I took screwing (not a difficult decision).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So they this is like Guild Wars: Faction of WOW? Nothing wrong with that since I like Asian theme in rpg (no suprise there). I wonder what is the big threat in this expansion

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I'm sorry but if this is serious, this is just sad. I can probably name numerous better ideas off my head.

Hey, kill the lords of shadow and flame in an alien world, kill death itself, kill the destroyer of worlds, hey make friends with a bunch of pandas.

Seriously... It makes every freeplay MMO on Steam look 50X more appetizing.