Pandaren Monk Pet Grants $1.1 Million Worth of Wishes

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
geldonyetich said:
cooperace27 said:
What if I told you that one of the kid's wishes was to have their character leveled to 80 while we were there?
Well, if I was in his situation, I imagine I would too.

What else is there to say? Are you going to plead that turning a number to 80 was a terrible sacrifice on behalf of Blizzard that helped this kid gain a true appreciation for life?
I don't doubt the irony in the post at all, in fact, I dare you to find where I questioned your use of irony, but I can still find offense in the post.
Sure, you can find offense to anything. And I reserve the right to be offended you chose to find offense in misinterpreting me.

Yes, Blizzard can remain hypocritical. Sure. A company that donated 1 million dollars and its staff who made 20 kids have one of the greatest experiences of their lives? That's hypocritical?
You can choose not to understand the logic of what I wrote if you wish, but that only diminishes my interest in continuing to discuss anything with you.

Is Blizzard just this BIG BAD company with no heart? No, I met with and talked to developers, PR people, and creative designers who made that day one of the greatest days of my life. Heck, I even met the lead singer of Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftain and he drew a picture of me. So for you to go and make comments like the ones above really makes me crazy.
Nice emotional appeal. I respect the kids had a good time. I do not, however, respect what happened in the bigger picture that you have chosen to ignore.

An emotional appeal does nothing to refute my argument and (being an INTJ by nature) it's wasted on me.
Could Blizzard have donated the whole proceeds towards Make A Wish? Yes. Could they have just not done anything with the proceeds at all? Yes. They gave money to help out a charity, and the response was enormous, and you are sitting at your computer chastising them for only giving away half as much?
No. Try again.

What is your problem?
This should be my question to you, as you're the one who decided to start this whole line of discussion by choosing to express you were offended.

Honestly, the only problem I seem to have is that I've homework to avoid and apparently these forums are an excuse. That's not to say I'm trolling so much as I've an idle mind grasping for an excuse for an ill-conceived diversion which you provided.
I can see that me arguing with you obviously won't go anywhere.

I only want to clarify what you think the "big picture" was.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
cooperace27 said:
Welcome to Internet forums, where nobody reads but everybody finds something wrong with what the other guy said.

Already mentioned in my first post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.175915.5009785], third and fourth paragraph. Actually, let me make it even easier than that:

The irony should make itself evident pretty quickly: game that entices people into wasting their lives performs donation drive to an organization that is about making what little time a person has left worthwhile.

[removed two sentences here] It doesn't help the situation much that only half the proceeds went to Make A Wish - Blizzard just made another $1.1 million dollars through appropriation of the name of a cause which, in closer examination, is opposite their own.
Your charges, these sick kids, they are in need of attention, yes. However, the whole of human suffering of this situation extends beyond them.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Pandaren Monk Pet Grants $1.1 Million Worth of Wishes

Blizzard donated $1.1 million to the Make-A-Wish Foundation today, the result of selling 220,000 digital Pandarens.

Last year, Blizzard ran a promotion selling an in-game Pandaren Monk minipet to World of Warcraft players for $10. Blizzard promised that half the proceeds from selling the cute little guy up until December 31st would go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Today, the Irvine developers made good on their promise and delivered a big fat oversized check worth $1.1 million to the charity. As part of the ceremony, Blizzard invited 15 "wish" kids and their families into the company's hallowed headquarters to offer a glimpse at how its games are made.

"We've had a long relationship with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and we're proud to support the priceless work they do for children," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "This donation also reflects the spirit and generosity of our players -- their enthusiasm for World of Warcraft and for supporting a good cause made this possible."

While I think it's great that Blizzard is so charitable, I think it's more remarkable that all of that money was generated through the sale of something that exists only in a game. A digital object, which exists only on computer screens, is helping to make real wishes come true.

I'm not sure what that means, but it brings a smile to my face.

Hopefully this good deed and more to come will give those a$$hole politicians (who are trying to get rid of games and make it harder to purchase/play,) a punch to the mouth, before they start talking $hit about games and gamers.
God knows, they won't ever mention moments like this and when the guys from HALO did the Haiti fund.

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
geldonyetich said:
cooperace27 said:
Welcome to Internet forums, where nobody reads but everybody finds something wrong with what the other guy said.

Already mentioned in my first post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.175915.5009785], third and fourth paragraph. Actually, let me make it even easier than that:

The irony should make itself evident pretty quickly: game that entices people into wasting their lives performs donation drive to an organization that is about making what little time a person has left worthwhile.

[removed two sentences here] It doesn't help the situation much that only half the proceeds went to Make A Wish - Blizzard just made another $1.1 million dollars through appropriation of the name of a cause which, in closer examination, is opposite their own.
Your charges, these sick kids, they are in need of attention, yes. However, the whole of human suffering of this situation extends beyond them.
Thanks for clarifying, I guess.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
It was a good idea as a campaign, but why did they have to donate to the make-a-wish foundation, or as I like to call it, the least deserving charity on earth? There are so many more worthwhile causes than spending thousands of dollars on individual children who won't live long enough to reminisce about the memories anyway! I know I sound like an asshole, but this is my genuine belief, and I've been in countless arguments about it, most of them with my too sensitive for her own good sister.

EDIT: Actually, the least deserving charity award is in my mind a pretty close run between the make-a-wish foundation and the SPCA, but make-a-wish is just too frivolous to be believed.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
*sigh*
Greg Tito said:
While I think it's great that Blizzard is so charitable, I think it's more remarkable that all of that money was generated through the sale of something that exists only in a game. A digital object, which exists only on computer screens, is helping to make real wishes come true.
Just imagine if Valve took all the money that they spent paying for the Heavy's ammo and gave it to charity...

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
I wonder if they are still selling those guys. Or something better than what they have.

DyslexicWalrus

Nov 24, 2009
Erana said:
*sigh*
Greg Tito said:
Just imagine if Valve took all the money that they spent paying for the Heavy's ammo and gave it to charity...
I don't even think Blizzard could pay for that...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
DyslexicWalrus said:
Erana said:
*sigh*
Greg Tito said:
I don't even think Blizzard could pay for that...
Maybe TF Industries has a heart of gold...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
geldonyetich said:
Ironically, not a single dying kid's wish was to play World of Warcraft.
The case of Ezra 'Ephoenix' Chatterton [http://www.wowwiki.com/Ephoenix] seems to beg to differ.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Azmael Silverlance said:
And Blizz didnt include the lil Kel Thuzad pet in the charity...which is weird i mean...they make more than 100mil per month from subscrition alone...oh well i guess no need to look a gift horse in the mouth. Still thumbs up to Blizz for the donation...its more than other companies or ppl do/have done.
Lil K'T donations went to Childs Play.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm surprised Activision would allow this, it's good karma, which is bad for Activision's image.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Would have been cool if they donated it all, they could definitely afford it. But I'm not going to ***** about it, they could have just as easily donated nothing. Good to see another corporation proving that it isn't full of heartless bastards.