Pandaren Monk Pet Grants $1.1 Million Worth of Wishes

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Pandaren Monk Pet Grants $1.1 Million Worth of Wishes

Blizzard donated $1.1 million to the Make-A-Wish Foundation today, the result of selling 220,000 digital Pandarens.

Last year, Blizzard ran a promotion selling an in-game Pandaren Monk minipet to World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Pc/dp/B000067FDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969746&sr=1-3] players for $10. Blizzard promised that half the proceeds from selling the cute little guy up until December 31st would go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Today, the Irvine developers made good on their promise and delivered a big fat oversized check worth $1.1 million to the charity. As part of the ceremony, Blizzard invited 15 "wish" kids and their families into the company's hallowed headquarters to offer a glimpse at how its games are made.

"We've had a long relationship with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and we're proud to support the priceless work they do for children," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "This donation also reflects the spirit and generosity of our players -- their enthusiasm for World of Warcraft and for supporting a good cause made this possible."

While I think it's great that Blizzard is so charitable, I think it's more remarkable that all of that money was generated through the sale of something that exists only in a game. A digital object, which exists only on computer screens, is helping to make real wishes come true.

I'm not sure what that means, but it brings a smile to my face.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Wait...so gamers did something nice for once? (and by that I mean it's recognized in the news)
Well this is certainly a step forward.

And I'm proud that so many were willing to donate to the cause.
Good job guys.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Of course, it would have been spectacular if they'd donated a bit more but it's good they fulfilled their promise.
+BlizzRespec'

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
I wish a Kid from the foundation makes a wish for 1 extra expansion with Cataclysm! Lvl cap 100 ftw ? :p
OT:
Its great news...1.1 mil is no small amount of money...but im kinda curious...i think there alot more ppl who9 got the pandaren monk....i mean i got 1 for me and sold 2 to other players -_-
And Blizz didnt include the lil Kel Thuzad pet in the charity...which is weird i mean...they make more than 100mil per month from subscrition alone...oh well i guess no need to look a gift horse in the mouth. Still thumbs up to Blizz for the donation...its more than other companies or ppl do/have done.
N im proud to have got 4 pets ^^ i helped too :p

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
The math shows 220,000 monks sold in-game. Can we assume that John Funk attributes to at least 1k of the little pandarens for a kung-fu army? :p

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Let's face it, about 60% of the people who were buying Pandarens were probably just out to buy pandas without knowing about the donation. xD

I sure as hell wasn't aware of it.

But seriously, that's actually a really awesome thing they did.

As for the idea of raising that much money for a real cause through the sale of a purely digital property...

That's almost profound...

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I didn't buy one.

If it had been a pet Murloc, though, I would have snapped one up faster than you can say "This world is scheduled for re-visitation".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they certainly did raise a good amount of cash. Nice on Blizzard

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Greg Tito said:
Blizzard invited 15 "wish" kids and their families into the company's hallowed headquarters to offer a glimpse at how its games are made.
Wow they would have got to see all those people hard at work making the dozens of games that Blizzard releases every year. I'm surprised they where able to take the time out to greet them given the work load.

To be fair the SC2 beta is out now so at least they're doing something.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
coldalarm said:
Of course, it would have been spectacular if they'd donated a bit more but it's good they fulfilled their promise.
+BlizzRespec'
A bit more? You make it sound like $1.1million isn't much money. It certainly tops Bungies $70,00 or whatever to Haiti by a hell of a lot.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
I was really pleased to hear Blizzard were doing this back last year and I wanted to contribute and buy one of my own but I had just moved into a new place and had to stop playing and stuff coz of money!

Sucks, but I'm glad they've made so much money for a good cause.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
xavierxenon said:
coldalarm said:
+BlizzRespec'
A bit more? You make it sound like $1.1million isn't much money. It certainly tops Bungies $70,00 or whatever to Haiti by a hell of a lot.
Well, $1.1M is certainly a lot but some companies add a bit extra.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
WNxSajuukCor said:
The math shows 220,000 monks sold in-game. Can we assume that John Funk attributes to at least 1k of the little pandarens for a kung-fu army? :p
i can see the trailer now...

This Pandaren has saved several families, made his own buissness, and went to college. Theres strong, and then there is pandaren strong.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Anybody else getting that nice warm feeling? You know, the one that means your regaining hope for humanity?

It's so different...and kinda scary...

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Greg Tito said:
Blizzard invited 15 "wish" kids and their families into the company's hallowed headquarters to offer a glimpse at how its games are made.
Wow they would have got to see all those people hard at work making the dozens of games that Blizzard releases every year. I'm surprised they where able to take the time out to greet them given the work load.

To be fair the SC2 beta is out now so at least they're doing something.
The Blizzard developers and PR group were very nice during the whole visit.

Starcraft II is looking pretty good by the way.

geldonyetich said:
Ironically, not a single dying kid's wish was to play World of Warcraft.
I find this post very offensive as you have no idea what the circumstances were of the visit.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
cooperace27 said:
geldonyetich said:
I find this post very offensive as you have no idea what the circumstances were of the visit.
I find this post very offensive as you have no idea what you are replying to before you decided to get offended about it.

The comment was meant to imply that, if you're on your final hours, you're not likely going to want to waste that time grinding on an MMORPG.

The irony should make itself evident pretty quickly: game that entices people into wasting their lives performs donation drive to an organization that is about making what little time a person has left worthwhile.

The circumstances of the visit are irrelevant. They can smile all they want, the whole situation nonetheless remains hypocritical. It doesn't help the situation much that only half the proceeds went to Make A Wish - Blizzard just made another $1.1 million dollars through appropriation of the name of a cause which, in closer examination, is opposite their own.

Until you get in the habit of thinking things through, you should probably pay more attention to what you choose to get offended over. At the very least, watch that whoever you call out doesn't have the wherewithal to call your bluff.

cooperace27

Jul 4, 2009
geldonyetich said:
cooperace27 said:
geldonyetich said:
I find this post very offensive as you have no idea what you are replying to before you decided to get offended about it.

The comment was meant to imply that, if you're on your final hours, you're not likely going to want to waste that time grinding on an MMORPG.

The irony should make itself evident pretty quickly: game that entices people into wasting their lives performs donation drive to an organization that is about making what little time a person has left worthwhile.

The circumstances of the visit are irrelevant. They can smile all they want, the whole situation nonetheless remains hypocritical. It doesn't help the situation much that only half the proceeds went to Make A Wish - Blizzard just made another $1.1 million dollars through appropriation of the name of a cause which, in closer examination, is opposite their own.

Until you get in the habit of thinking things through, you should probably pay more attention to what you choose to get offended over. At the very least, watch that whoever you call out doesn't have the wherewithal to call your bluff.
What if I told you that one of the kid's wishes was to have their character leveled to 80 while we were there? I don't doubt the irony in the post at all, in fact, I dare you to find where I questioned your use of irony, but I can still find offense in the post.

Yes, Blizzard can remain hypocritical. Sure. A company that donated 1 million dollars and its staff who made 20 kids have one of the greatest experiences of their lives? That's hypocritical? Is Blizzard just this BIG BAD company with no heart? No, I met with and talked to developers, PR people, and creative designers who made that day one of the greatest days of my life. Heck, I even met the lead singer of Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftain and he drew a picture of me. So for you to go and make comments like the ones above really makes me crazy.

Could Blizzard have donated the whole proceeds towards Make A Wish? Yes. Could they have just not done anything with the proceeds at all? Yes. They gave money to help out a charity, and the response was enormous, and you are sitting at your computer chastising them for only giving away half as much? What is your problem?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
cooperace27 said:
What if I told you that one of the kid's wishes was to have their character leveled to 80 while we were there?
Well, if I was in his situation, I imagine I would too.

What else is there to say? Are you going to plead that turning a number to 80 was a terrible sacrifice on behalf of Blizzard that helped this kid gain a true appreciation for life?
I don't doubt the irony in the post at all, in fact, I dare you to find where I questioned your use of irony, but I can still find offense in the post.
Sure, you can find offense to anything. And I reserve the right to be offended you chose to find offense in misinterpreting me.

Yes, Blizzard can remain hypocritical. Sure. A company that donated 1 million dollars and its staff who made 20 kids have one of the greatest experiences of their lives? That's hypocritical?
You can choose not to understand the logic of what I wrote if you wish, but that only diminishes my interest in continuing to discuss anything with you.

Is Blizzard just this BIG BAD company with no heart? No, I met with and talked to developers, PR people, and creative designers who made that day one of the greatest days of my life. Heck, I even met the lead singer of Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftain and he drew a picture of me. So for you to go and make comments like the ones above really makes me crazy.
Nice emotional appeal. I respect the kids had a good time. I do not, however, respect what happened in the bigger picture that you have chosen to ignore.

An emotional appeal does nothing to refute my argument and (being an INTJ by nature) it's wasted on me.
Could Blizzard have donated the whole proceeds towards Make A Wish? Yes. Could they have just not done anything with the proceeds at all? Yes. They gave money to help out a charity, and the response was enormous, and you are sitting at your computer chastising them for only giving away half as much?
No. Try again.

What is your problem?
This should be my question to you, as you're the one who decided to start this whole line of discussion by choosing to express you were offended.

Honestly, the only problem I seem to have is that I've homework to avoid and apparently these forums are an excuse. That's not to say I'm trolling so much as I've an idle mind grasping for an excuse for an ill-conceived diversion which you provided.