Pandora Wants To Put You In First Contact With Alien Fun

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Pandora Wants To Put You In First Contact With Alien Fun

Spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri, you say?

If it's been a while since you conquered alien worlds in Sid Meier's strategy classic Alpha Centauri, you might want to set your colony ship's course for Pandora: First Contact. Billing itself as a spiritual successor to Meier's spectacular turn based classic, Proxy Studios' Pandora promises a brave new planet to conquer. Will you last to year 17, or longer? Or will you be ground down and conquered?

Where will you settle the first city? What tech will you research? Will you explore those alien ruins, or have the local wildlife given you pause? There's supposed to be something truly massive living in the ocean, just so you know, and the things that live inland are no joke either. Fortunately you're developing new devices all the time, and you've got a customizable army at your disposal, but your fellow humans are rivals for every scrap of useful land. If it's not the bugs, it's the neighbors; you just can't catch a break, can you?

This one's out now on PC via the publisher's site [http://www.slitherine.com/games/PandoraPC], at $30 for the download.

Source: Slitherene / Proxy Studios Pandora Site [http://pandora.proxy-studios.com/]

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I actually watched a playthrough of this game last night by a LPer named CaptainDuck [http://www.youtube.com/user/captnduck] on Twitch. From what I saw, the game looked interesting, and had some nice stuff (Like the ability to make customized units), but it seemed to lack a bit of polish and suffered from performance issues in mid to late game, causing audio stuttering and lag in play (Although whether that was just the game or due to the fact the guy was also running OBS and Twitch as well, I'm not sure).

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
It's quite hard to see the distinction between this and a slightly modified version of Civilization. I'd like to think the best of this effort - are there suggestions as to what I might be missing?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
CTYR said:
Just how many 'Pandora's are there in popular media, now?
Avatar, Borderlands, and now this...sheesh I think someone on the naming committee needs to take a vacation.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Mahoshonen said:
CTYR said:
Just how many 'Pandora's are there in popular media, now?
Avatar, Borderlands, and now this...sheesh I think someone on the naming committee needs to take a vacation.
At least thats spread out over a couple of years and different media. Unlike the string of "Revelations" titles we had in the gaming industry in 2011-2012.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
I honestly feel that this can't really measure up to the amazing Alpha Centauri. Two of the greatest things about Alpha Centauri was the unit customization and the terraforming. While the website does say that it has unit customization, I can't imagine how this would implimant Alpha Centauri's incredably detailed isometric terran system on a hex map. For those that don't know, Alpha Centauri had a complex dynamic terran system that allowed for some incredably advanced stratagy, such as raising a mountain range to cut off humidity from an enemy's tiles to drop their food production, or taking control of higher ground so that you can melt the ice caps and flood the lowlanders.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'll defiantly pick this up, thanks for the heads up guys! I got Alpha Centari on GoG, been a fun game sofar and wish Sid had continued it, glad to see someone took up the concept and did their own thing.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
It's quite hard to see the distinction between this and a slightly modified version of Civilization. I'd like to think the best of this effort - are there suggestions as to what I might be missing?
I'm with you. That looks very much like a Civ V mod. A pretty extensive one, sure, but is there enough to justify buying it if I already have Civ?