Panty, Stocking, and Pop Music

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well since you're comparing it to today's pop music.

Erm this song would kinda stand out, I imagine it could have made it big two years ago. It sounds fairly typical of the fun side of that year's mainstream stuff. Weird use of autotune, vaguely danceable beat that has guitar stuff going on, lyrics which really aren't about anything. Yeah, it fits to me. Granted 2012 was a (imo) great year for pop music.

I honestly prefer most of the this week's Top 10 to that song, I'm afraid, and I only really like Problem (generic beat, generic lyrics but good vocals and rapping), Happy and maybe Turn Down For What on a good day.

Maybe that song sounds better to me because "semi recent" could easily mean 2013, and 2013 was a miserable, disheartening time for popular music.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I love the Pant and Stocking soundtrack, but I wouldn't say it's pop music. It's more electronica or techno, something along these lines. Calling it pop seems kinda inaccurate.

Also, while I like the song, D Rock City isn't exactly my favorite off the soundtrack. I prefer Fly Away, Corset's Theme, and Scanty and Kneesock's theme and would put them as better examples.

I think D Rock City work better as soundtrack music than an actual, standalone song, while a lot of the other tracks can be pumped out in a club or party.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
The Wykydtron said:
Oh dear, do I see people ANALYSING a PSG song? Oh dear me. Things created by Gainex post Evangelion were never supposed to be anywhere near serious and are insane by nature, Trust me that song is NOT taking itself seriously, the show is called Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt even, it should go without saying. I should have seen this coming, most people don't really *get* anime around here. It's quite troublesome at times really...
My term paper on how PSG can be interpreted as a piece of sex/body positive feminist fiction and a deconstruction of american culture from an international perspective would beg to differ.
Watch the series again and pay close attention to the symbolism, there are times when they are just bashing you over the with the thesis so hard that I truly don't understand why so few people seem to see it. It's a classic case of smart show that desperately wants you to think it's dumb.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Wasn't the fact that that song was genric sounding with auto tune and all with all the popular artist references part of the joke?
Personally as far as the soundtrack for P,S&G go I think that songs the weakest, rather have some 'Dancefloor Orgy' (name of one of the songs, don't look at me like that) any day.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
The way I see it you probably only like the song because it comes from something that you already like. If you heard this song on the radio without knowing it was associated with panty and stocking then you probabl would have passed it up.

TheAsterite

Aug 15, 2009
Leon Declis said:
Looks interesting, I'll give it a listen.
*Sees avatar* Sorry, but your point is invalidated. How can you be associated with something that is objectively bad?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
V da Mighty Taco said:
At the not-that-scary risk of coming across as a hipster, I have to wonder how this batshit anime managed to make both a better pop song and a better music video than most pop songs actually on the radio. The song in question, btw, is this:

Obviously, this is based entirely around my own personal opinion. However, this song seems genuinely better than the majority of semi-recent pop songs. It's catchy, has a lot of character, is quite energetic, doesn't take itself too seriously, isn't a half-assed romance / relationship song or about how awesome the singer is; it's surprisingly solid all around as a pop-esque song imo.

What are your thoughts on this song and my opinions here? Do feel free to blast my ass metaphorically if you feel like it, though obviously keep it civil and within the sites rules. Also, have fun and nerd out!
Not very good.
Bland.
Very mediocre version of something 1998 style.
Also, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much autotune.

TheAsterite said:
Leon Declis said:
*Sees avatar* Sorry, but your point is invalidated. How can you be associated with something that is objectively bad?
It's actually quite a good show, FYI.

Leon Declis said:

V da Mighty Taco said:
At the not-that-scary risk of coming across as a hipster, I have to wonder how this batshit anime managed to make both a better pop song and a better music video than most pop songs actually on the radio. The song in question, btw, is this:

Obviously, this is based entirely around my own personal opinion. However, this song seems genuinely better than the majority of semi-recent pop songs. It's catchy,
Debatable. I just listened to it and I'm having trouble remmbering anything. Catchy requires more than repeated words, it needs to be sung well, be interesting enough to catch the mind, and be fun enough to sing. This kinda fails all three.

has a lot of character,
Is it? It's the same poppy crap that Avril Lavange and all those bands where the boys are thin and look like girls put out over and over again.

is quite energetic,
Very slow, I found.

doesn't take itself too seriously,
Doesn't make it good. Just because something is satirising something else, doesn't mean that it can be shit and that's fine. It still has to hold up on it's own merits.

Sorry. Here, have my song so you can tell me how bad it is and we can be even.

Ninja Sex Party is awesome.
Unicorn Wizard is my favorite.
Also, Starbomb
Danny and Brian are completely fantastic humans.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Madame_le_Flour said:
The best part about that video is that it's literally just thrown into the end of episode with no context to pad out the run-time left over by the Chuck to the Future shorts, that's what I love about PSG, just when you think you've figured out its formula it throws something new at you.
But yeah, I always liked that video, partially because it fits very well thematically with Panty and Stocking's overall idea, and for all the various little musical references.
I still think Chocolat is the best track on the OST, it's a big part of why Phantom of Daten City was a fantastic episode in my opinion.
But what about the remix?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Opinion is it's horrible and worse than most pop music I dislike that I hear. I'm sorry. Timbre is uninteresting, sounds slow, I don't like the chord choices or lyrics, I really don't know what you see in it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Madame_le_Flour said:
The Wykydtron said:
Oh dear, do I see people ANALYSING a PSG song? Oh dear me. Things created by Gainex post Evangelion were never supposed to be anywhere near serious and are insane by nature, Trust me that song is NOT taking itself seriously, the show is called Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt even, it should go without saying. I should have seen this coming, most people don't really *get* anime around here. It's quite troublesome at times really...
My term paper on how PSG can be interpreted as a piece of sex/body positive feminist fiction and a deconstruction of american culture from an international perspective would beg to differ.
Watch the series again and pay close attention to the symbolism, there are times when they are just bashing you over the with the thesis so hard that I truly don't understand why so few people seem to see it. It's a classic case of smart show that desperately wants you to think it's dumb.
Gainex always does this it seems, I do remember the last sections of Gurren Lagann holding some heavy symbolism on progression if I remember correctly and i've seen an article that some people have taken Kill la Kill (a show done by the two main guys behind Gurren Lagann) as a symbol of women getting over their periods in their teen years. I can see where they're coming from I suppose but it must be a girl thing. KLK has incredibly strong female leads regardless (Read: Satsuki is a fucking boss) the strongest i've ever seen actually (SATSUKI YO!) It's my new favourite anime overtaking Code Geass (Ask not the sparrow how the eagle flies!)

I watched PSG on release like what, 3/4 years ago? I probably missed all the symbolism and I don't remember much except that the ending was Gainex trolling the audience so damn hard. Gainex ruined Christmas remember? Good times

I do dislike it when people call shows like KLK or Gurren Lagann "dumb." A truly dumb show wouldn't have such good characters, cohesive plot, likable characters, perfect musical sense or make me cry at the ending. Their subject matter is just weird is all, a dumb anime wouldn't manage to make a plot around a girl and her talking uniform taking down the system so bloody interesting and emotionally investing.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Madame_le_Flour said:
The Wykydtron said:
Gainex always does this it seems, I do remember the last sections of Gurren Lagann holding some heavy symbolism on progression if I remember correctly and i've seen an article that some people have taken Kill la Kill (a show done by the two main guys behind Gurren Lagann) as a symbol of women getting over their periods in their teen years. I can see where they're coming from I suppose but it must be a girl thing. KLK has incredibly strong female leads regardless (Read: Satsuki is a fucking boss) the strongest i've ever seen actually (SATSUKI YO!) It's my new favourite anime overtaking Code Geass (Ask not the sparrow how the eagle flies!)

I watched PSG on release like what, 3/4 years ago? I probably missed all the symbolism and I don't remember much except that the ending was Gainex trolling the audience so damn hard. Gainex ruined Christmas remember? Good times

I do dislike it when people call shows like KLK or Gurren Lagann "dumb." A truly dumb show wouldn't have such good characters, cohesive plot, likable characters, perfect musical sense or make me cry at the ending. Their subject matter is just weird is all, a dumb anime wouldn't manage to make a plot around a girl and her talking uniform taking down the system so bloody interesting and emotionally investing.
"shows i watch are meaningful and smart yeah totally im not like other people what? no im not trying to justify liking dumb cartoons im not insecure"

anno looks down in shame from his heaven above
one day he will return, he will destroy anime once in for all, and we will truly be free and know his love