Paper Mario is Being Cannibalized by Mario & Luigi

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So it seems that Nintendo has decided the best direction to take with their two ongoing Mario rpg franchises is to mash them together.

"Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam will unite the worlds of Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario in a new RPG." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14131-Mario-Luigi-Paper-Jam-Unites-Mario-And-Paper-Mario]

This is such a baffling move to me for so many reasons. First off, why crossover Mario with more Mario? Legend of Zelda, or Metroid, or anything I could understand, but I don't see how more Mario can improve anything. I mean, Mario is always Mario, there is not really a difference in personality(what little there is) from game to game. Sure some are 2D some are 3D and some are made of paper, but really the only difference is visual.

Secondly, I don't see what added opportunities merging the games adds. It's not like this is adding a new juxtaposition between 2D and 3D, because the Paper Mario games have always had that juxtaposition and put it to good use. Really, what are Mario & Luigi bringing to the table here?

Third, I'm offended that Mario & Luigi is getting top billing here. The Paper Mario series has always been leagues ahead of the Mario & Luigi games in depth of story and gameplay as well as overall quality. Granted, I've only played the first two installments of the Mario & Luigi series, but nothing I've heard has lead me to believe that any of the games could even come close to measuring up to The Thousand Year Door. What I've played of them, I found only mildly entertaining and far too trite and shallow.

So what do you think about this development? Is it a good idea? Why, or why not? What benefits will merging the two series bring to the table? Talk to me Escapist, tell me what you feel.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Why? Because they're two distinct Mario RPG series.

And personally i'm very excited for this as I enjoy both series.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I kinda get what you're saying, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with you. The fans really wanted a traditional Paper Mario like Thousand Year Door or the first one on N64, not a M&L mashup.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh, thank goodness. When I read that title, I thought I might be going insane for a minute...though I may still be. Um.

Third, I'm offended that Mario & Luigi is getting top billing here. The Paper Mario series has always been leagues ahead of the Mario & Luigi games in depth of story and gameplay as well as overall quality. Granted, I've only played the first two installments of the Mario & Luigi series, but nothing I've heard has lead me to believe that any of the games could even come close to measuring up to The Thousand Year Door. What I've played of them, I found only mildly entertaining and far too trite and shallow.
Are you serious here? That hardly seems fair. I think Nintendo's just doing this because NinwhatevahtendowhatIwanna.

This game will introduce the first team-up between Mario, Luigi, and Paper Mario as they use their unique abilities to save the Mushroom Kingdom from a new unrevealed threat.
It says here that it's the first time they're doing this particular thing, so I don't see what's not to like about it. It's not breaking new ground as far as crossovers go, but it's an interesting new thing to see and play, surely.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've never played any of the Paper Mario games so I can't really say anything about them, but I do think this new game looks interesting. I mean, it's a weird concept, crossing Mario over with Mario, but it looks like it could be fun. Although I'll probably have to buy the new 3DS to play it, damn you Nintendo.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
It could be good, But I agree, I want another traditional paper mario game. like thousand year door. I would play the hell out of another paper mario game like that.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I'd be more concerned about how good the game is rather than the concept. Dream Team was overall a mess. It had some interesting ideas, but they weren't fleshed out enough, and instead went with more shallow ideas instead of a few well developed ideas. Another major problem was that the game was too long, getting tedious around the half-way point.

However, it seems the Mario and Luigi: Travelers through Time got harsher criticisms compared to the All Stars and Inside Story. Looking at it as odds being the better games, perhaps this one will be better. It'll be a wait and see for me.

canadamus_prime said:
I've never played any of the Paper Mario games so I can't really say anything about them, but I do think this new game looks interesting. I mean, it's a weird concept, crossing Mario over with Mario, but it looks like it could be fun. Although I'll probably have to buy the new 3DS to play it, damn you Nintendo.
According to this the game will be for the regular 3DS, since the logo on the right side under the pictures is the regular 3DS logo.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I feel like they want to bring Paper Mario into a good light by just sellotaping it to the Mario and Luigi series. Yes the last game was annihilated by the fans with criticism and Super Paper Mario was a good game, just not what people want after Thousand Year Door. I'm not a big fan of the Dream Team visuals for characters, it just rubs me the wrong way. I'd like to be a good game to maybe try if I get it cheap, however I'm not excited for it, just hopeful.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
canadamus_prime said:
According to this the game will be for the regular 3DS, since the logo on the right side under the pictures is the regular 3DS logo.
Oh, well in that case. I'll have to check it out when it comes out then. I'm intrigued.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
It would've been nice if it wasn't a Mario v.s Mario cross over. Hell even DK would've been more of a diverse cross over but I don't think it cannibalizes it.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm certainly interested in this new game, but I agree it's not the Paper Mario that I want. Hopefully, there is a big console Paper Mario in the works, or if not, there will be one someday. I imagine this is more like a continuation of Mario and Luigi, rather than Paper Mario. Which kinda sucks since I also prefer Paper Mario to Mario and Luigi, so I would hope Paper Mario does not get forgotten in favor of the other.

Paper Mario needs to make a comeback. The first two were masterpieces, I don't care how over dramatic that sounds, I love them that much. Super Paper Mario had its issues, but the story and characters were engaging, and it was still fun. Sticker Star, the less said about that the better. Basically, as long as this game is nothing like Sticker Star, it will be decent.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think you're reading too much into it. They're just playing around with different aesthetics, they do it all the time.