Paper Mario: The Origami King Announcement

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Thoughts everyone? I will say I rather like how things look to be more action oriented in this entry, at least with the set pieces and locales, not sure if that circular arena in the video is the default battle system or something for a specific area but hopefully it'll be interesting and more like the original way of fighting.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Nice

After Sticker Star and Colour Splash, i am cautiously optimistic about this...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ah, now all it needs to do is not suck.

Also, already coming in July. I kind of like how Nintendo often announces games only a few months away from release. Not in the sense of not having to wait very long, but because development would be near completion and Nintendo titles usually arrive on time, so footage shown should be pretty representative of the final product.

Tho there are exceptions to the "announce late" rule. Looking at you, Metroid Prime 4!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Well, that actually looks heccin' neato. I'm praying the game isn't level based and the NPCs are all toads again, and this could have potential to be great. It certainly LOOKS amazing though, the Switch is a very capable system despite the outcry about a lack of power

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
As long as the combat doesn't use disposable attacks like Sticker Star and Color Splash, I am ALL OVER THIS.

The story looks hilarious and creepy and weird and I love everything I see about it. Borg-Origami Peach? Allied Bowser that's a single folded paper the entire time?! I'm sold on that concept!

There was this miniature leaked (?) clip of combat that doesn't SEEM to have a sticker/card system, so I'm cautiously optimistic. If battles are any good, I'm going to buy this day one.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Looks really nice, and it's very welcome at the present time to address the drought in the second half of 2020 in the Switch release schedule. I'll be getting it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
As long as the combat doesn't use disposable attacks like Sticker Star and Color Splash, I am ALL OVER THIS.

The story looks hilarious and creepy and weird and I love everything I see about it. Borg-Origami Peach? Allied Bowser that's a single folded paper the entire time?! I'm sold on that concept!
I'm certainly getting a real Partners in Time feel from the story from what we've seen (Though not NEARLY so grim) and I am of course looking forward to all the paper puns like, "Join the fold!".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hopefully, Miyamoto won't stick his dick in it this time.
I mean haven't the Paper mario games been steadily and increasingly going downhill since the first one?
The second game is usually seen as the best. I was never that into the series, but that is what most fans tell me.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean haven't the Paper mario games been steadily and increasingly going downhill since the first one?
No? TTYD was better than the first, and Super Paper Mario was different but still a beloved game, Sticker Star is the only really poor one with Color Splash at least having personality and style.

But I'm also curious how everyone feels about the overall horror themes I'm getting from this. I've seen some screenshots of things like faceless toads and the giant yarn person also looks kinda creepy.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Hopefully, Miyamoto won't stick his dick in it this time.
I've said it before... Miyamoto does AMAZING work and absolutely deserves his reputation. However, sometimes I feel like he's stifling far more than he's helping these days. Claiming F-Zero "needs a new user interface" to make it worth keeping up, screwing with Paper Mario to the point it slammed the series into the ground, mucking up Star Fox, etc. The guy's great, but sometimes it's just, like... dude, let things be normal for once

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I don't want to be hurt again Nintendo, sticker star was one of those games I have a special hatred for considering how much I hated it but was in complete denial because it was paper, Mario. I'm hoping that this one is improvements over the last two.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've said it before... Miyamoto does AMAZING work and absolutely deserves his reputation. However, sometimes I feel like he's stifling far more than he's helping these days. Claiming F-Zero "needs a new user interface" to make it worth keeping up, screwing with Paper Mario to the point it slammed the series into the ground, mucking up Star Fox, etc. The guy's great, but sometimes it's just, like... dude, let things be normal for once
Which is my exact problem. He earned his reputation and has done amazing work, yet he is stuck in stubborn old ways or feeling every new entry has to innovate. Innovation for the sake of it is not always a good thing, and can make things worse, or cramp creative freedom.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...

Having said that, that looks quite good, I haven't played a Paper Mario game since Super Paper Mario and avoided the others due to poor reception. I will wait for reviews and if it is good, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Also I would kill for a Paper Mario 1+2 and Super Paper Mario compilation.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I don't want to be hurt again Nintendo, sticker star was one of those games I have a special hatred for considering how much I hated it but was in complete denial because it was paper, Mario. I'm hoping that this one is improvements over the last two.
Which is my exact problem. He earned his reputation and has done amazing work, yet he is stuck in stubborn old ways or feeling every new entry has to innovate. Innovation for the sake of it is not always a good thing, and can make things worse, or cramp creative freedom.
I still infinitely prefer having him there and encouraging everyone to try to innovate as apposed to the alternative. I think trying new ideas is the best course of action for them to take with their series but that they take them in the wrong direction at times.

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck...

Having said that, that looks quite good, I haven't played a Paper Mario game since Super Paper Mario and avoided the others due to poor reception. I will wait for reviews and if it is good, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Also I would kill for a Paper Mario 1+2 and Super Paper Mario compilation.
If you have a WiiU I would still recomend you get Color Splash. It's a beautiful game and is also probably the funniest game Nintendo has ever made, the humor is just spot on with it. It's not as good as first three and is held back by the mechanics it inherited from Sticker Star but I think it's still worthwhile to play it.

Edit: Further with the topic, it seems to me that the Origami King is going to be our main antagonist in the game and he'll be regularly interfering with Mario. In the scene where the giant paper airplane hits the Doom Ship, you can see a small airplane on top of it that looks like the king. So it might be that we'll fight both giant origami monsters but also the Origami King in different forms.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I still infinitely prefer having him there and encouraging everyone to try to innovate as apposed to the alternative. I think trying new ideas is the best course of action for them to take with their series but that they take them in the wrong direction at times.
Once again, not opposed to it, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially when "fixing" it by removing options that were helpful or new options that are useless compared to the older, better ones, will make the overall experience worse. If you need to innovate that badly, stick certain ideas to a new IP or completely different spin-off. And yeah, Paper Mario itself is spin-off/sub-series of the Mario franchise.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
No? TTYD was better than the first, and Super Paper Mario was different but still a beloved game, Sticker Star is the only really poor one with Color Splash at least having personality and style.

But I'm also curious how everyone feels about the overall horror themes I'm getting from this. I've seen some screenshots of things like faceless toads and the giant yarn person also looks kinda creepy.
I mean, the Mario games (and Paper Mario in particular) haven't exactly strayed away from horror elements (old-school spiritual J-horror in particular). Haunted house levels are a staple of the main series and Luigi has a whole side series based on ghost hunting.

I do like the "pod people" aspect of the threat and it will probably make for some interesting dialog and combat.

I am so happy to finally have a system that can play a Paper Mario game. I always seemed to miss that one series in particular.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
There's things to be exited for and things to be suspicious about. On the negative side of the spectrum it does seem that the things people didn't like about the Sticker Star formula are still there. This is not the return to form that people want. The combat system seems a little gimmicky and one of your partners just being a generic Bob-Omb implies that everyone is still a generic character.

Though on the other hand we also have a Toad who seems to switch up his outfit depending on the region. We've seen him in a Samurai outfit on the boat, with an archeologist outfit in the desert, and without any outfit on the official website. And he's shown following Mario same as the Bob-omb so party members might be back. Kamek and Jr might also end up as party members.

This isn't the return to form people wanted. I'd feel Nintendo would have shown us that very clearly if that's what they were planning. But the spectacle seems entertaining, I'm a big fan of team ups between Mario and Bowser , and Peach becoming a crazy tyrants who mutilates Bowser and puts him on display in her torture dungeon seems fascinating.