Paradox Says it Will Make a Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel "When the Time is Right"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Paradox Says it Will Make a Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel "When the Time is Right"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1406/1406179.jpgIt sounds like there will be a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, but it's unclear when it will happen.

This past weekend, Paradox Con 2017 took place in Stockholm. In addition to announcing the turn-based Battletech [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170348-Surviving-Mars-Announced-Management-Game-Tropico-Dev-Haemimont-Games], there was also a little bit of discussion on a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

PCGamesN [https://www.pcgamesn.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-sequel] asked Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester if there were any plans for the franchise, and whether or Obsidian might be asked to work on it, since many of the previous game leads are now working there.

"Yeah, on paper that's a really good match," said Wester. "Of course, sooner or later, people will want a follow-up to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines... and when the time is right I guess a sequel will find its place in the market. But it's too early to say anything about that right now."

White Wolf was acquired by Paradox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161229-Paradox-Acquires-White-Wolf-Publishing] in 2015 from CCP Games, but the company hasn't done much with the IP since then, but Wester says that that's because announcing anything too soon would disappoint fans. That said, things are coming. As he said, "There's no use buying such a rich catalog of IPs just to be sitting on them another ten years."

What do you think? Would you play a sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? Tell us in the forums!

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Yes! I loved that game, glitchy warts and all. I wouldn't mind a sequel to it. Or a more direct sequel/successor to Redemption that's got less action and more rpg. Really, I'll take any of this.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
"When the time is right" sounds like a setup for a crowdfunding campaign.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
How a sequel, the game can end in so many different ways.

In any case, without the modding community, the game wouldn't be the same. Was an excellent game, but needed massive amounts of mucking about with afterwards.

Sep 24, 2008
4Aces said:
"When the time is right" sounds like a setup for a crowdfunding campaign.
To which I would be at the toppest of top tiers. Vampire Bloodlines sequel? Done right? With the open world genre being made what it is now? So freaking hyped.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Is 10 years not long enough? I get that its difficult to make a good game and I absolutely support taking their time to make the game good but...10 YEARS GUYS

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I won't get my hopes up until "the time is right" either..
Not with that kind of throwaway line.

Paradox would do the IP justice though I think, and then squeeze it for all the DLC it's worth. ^^

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This is the moment I should point out that there already is a World of Darkness games in the works:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169335-Focus-Home-Interactive-and-Cyanide-Studios-Announce-Werewolf-The-Apocalypse-Game

It's based on the werewolf part of the franchise. Despite Paradox owning the IP nowadays, they are not the publisher of the game. And Paradox is in the publishing business. I say this because there's a part of me that suspects that they're being callous with the franchise. Which is odd, because they obviously paid a lot for the World of Darkness IP.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Gawd forbid! No one, literally no one is able to make a proper sequel to VtMB at the moment. It would be for the best to leave the property alone.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Rastrelly said:
Gawd forbid! No one, literally no one is able to make a proper sequel to VtMB at the moment. It would be for the best to leave the property alone.
I really want CD Projekt Red to do a sequel for it, or I'd even settle for Bethesda (More likely because of the link to Obsidian).

However, rumour has it that the VtM IP is being worked on by PI's Mobile team... So... Yeah... That could happen.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Raioken18 said:
Rastrelly said:
I really want CD Projekt Red to do a sequel for it, or I'd even settle for Bethesda (More likely because of the link to Obsidian).

However, rumour has it that the VtM IP is being worked on by PI's Mobile team... So... Yeah... That could happen.
Isn't CD Projekt Red dedicated to making adaptations of pen and paper RPGs? Because that news if true gave me hope of a MechWarrior video game that's actually MechWarrior and not just BattleTech Tactical Edition

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'd love to see them either remaster Bloodlines or do a full remake of it. Sequels are nice but there is so much they could add to a remake to make it feel new.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
When the time is right? How about when it is not too late?
Wait few more years and people who actually know what these games were will start to die out of old age :D
This answer is akin to 'well maaaaaaaybe *god what the hell is tha game they asked me about?!*'

I'd love a sequel but I have to agree with
Rastrelly said:
it's unfortunate. Maybe CDPR, that's it. All other studios produce bland garbage in comparison, devoid of edgy humour and passion for games few dev teams of the past had (ie. Troika).

Truth to be told corporate-spirit and political-corectness moved weight point of games from art to mass produced C-grade movies. This summmer! Bland, dumb af ROMANCE, HORROR, COMEDY, ACTION FLICK, SOCIAL ISSUE DRAMA aaaand PISS POOR REMAKE that critics will not even watch but going to write mildly positive reviews about ('cause they gotta eat too...) on the screen! Come watch them cause there ain't gonna be anything else on the big screen.

It's not that there weren't tons of garbage games before, it's that they are the ones agressively promoted and shoved down the throats of gamers. Or should I say new generation of gamers? Cause old timers just scoff, sigh after few hours of playing the new greatestest thing 'evah (that turn out to be broken af, boring af, devoid of story and any passion, huge husks filled with obligatory token characters, grind and fetch quests, store fronts asking additional money for cosmetics, characters, missions, content, reasonable gameplay etc.
)

and re-play games from 10-20 years ago.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Great game , now taking off my rose colored glasses for a second the reality sets in. Paradox making a acceptable spiritual sequel is highly in question. The gaming environment has changed since the original, now the gaming world includes people with the incurable "Thin Skin" Disorders. I can only imagine any remake or just a sequel would get so bloody censored and watered down to the point that it became nothing more than a hack and slash game.

It?s a sad reality, but seeing all the complaints partitioned against anything that slightly triggers someone. We may see a remake or sequel, but I highly believe it will not be the one we are all looking forward too.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Keeping the Laguna Coil on standby anyway.

I hope they set it somewhere that's not really touched on in Vampire.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Just downloaded the game again after a good several years, not a couple days before this article went up.

Was saying it really needed a sequel and, yeah, Obsidian would be an excellent candidate, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for anything. It's been over a decade and Troika's dead. I'd love to see a modern interpretation that doesn't have the old, janky Source engine.

Man...a frostbite or U4 version would be godly.

Also, Malkavians were and still are rather fun.
The Great JT said:
Keeping the Laguna Coil on standby anyway.

I hope they set it somewhere that's not really touched on in Vampire.
Lacuna Coil.

And hell, throw something from Delirium on there-

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Zontar said:
Raioken18 said:
Rastrelly said:

Isn't CD Projekt Red dedicated to making adaptations of pen and paper RPGs? Because that news if true gave me hope of a MechWarrior video game that's actually MechWarrior and not just BattleTech Tactical Edition
No, no...

I was talking hypothetically, "I want them to work on it", not "They are working on it". CD Projekt Red did the Witcher and are working on Cyberpunk 2077.

Battletech is being done by HBS and Paradox Interactive, so it will likely be based more around tactical gameplay than RPG elements or storylines. With that said it could be alright, they can do tactics games quite well.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Zontar said:
Well, they've already proven they can successfully adapt a book series, so I'll guess we'll have to wait if their Cyberpunk 2077 does the same for p&p rpgs.

I'd say that hypothetically they are the best bet on pulling it off out of the big name rpg devs tho.

Apr 5, 2008
When the time is right was 10 years ago, and still now. I need this game. I just finished a playthru to get the taste of Andromeda out of my mouth, such a great game that shone despite its flaws. A brilliant story and an utterly unique game, it makes me wonder why there aren't more like it instead of yet more CoDs, The Ubisoft Games and the generic 3rd person action-adventure.