Paramedics Sent to Fantasia Fest Following Chaotic 'Bite' Screening

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Paramedics Sent to Fantasia Fest Following Chaotic 'Bite' Screening

Some horror fans bit off a little more than they could chew at this year's Fantasia Fest, requiring medical attention after viewing a screening of Bite.

It's a news story that horror fans have heard countless times before: A studio releases a movie so heart-stoppingly terrifying, so gut-bustingly disturbing, that it has audience members fainting and vomiting in the aisles by the dozens. The theater showing the screening is eventually forced to call 911 to contain the chaos. The paramedics who arrive turn out to be zombies in disguise [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcle-JgnFA] and devour the theatergoers whole.

That last part may be a bit of an exaggeration, but let's not act as if this scenario isn't a marketing gimmick as old as the horror movie itself. perhaps the first horror film to use it [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094187/V-H-S-horror-movie-Sundance-Film-Festivals-graphic-scenes-audiences-SICK.html], and for good reason. It's a brilliant scheme to hype a movie, whether ultimately true or false, because horror fans are a bunch who quite literally live for the thrill. They are drawn to extremes, and as such, it would be hard to imagine many of them passing up the chance to see Bite, the latest horror film that is literally scaring people to death (or something close to it).

Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3355622/ambulance-arrives-fantasia-viewers-experience-bite] passes along word from this year's Fantasia International Film Festival, where a screening of the Kafkaesque insect film Bite caused two people to faint, another to vomit, and another to "hit his head on the stairs" -- presumably while running out of the theater to avoid puking.

You can check out the Bite trailer above. I'll always attest that if you've seen A Serbian Film, you've seen the furthest possible limits of human depravity, but what do you guys think? Is Bite the next great entry in the gross-out cinema cannon?

For those of you looking to put your money where your mouth is, Bite will be playing in London at the end of the month for Film4 FrightFest.

Source: Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3355622/ambulance-arrives-fantasia-viewers-experience-bite]

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Lol, looks like absolutely aweful acting just from the trailer.

That said, maybe it will be the funny kind of aweful.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Fdzzaigl said:

Was it like... Troll 2 bad? XD

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Fdzzaigl said:

Wait a damned minute! Are you trying to imply that the way he delivered his lines was anything but Oscar worthy? Even The Bard himself could not have conjured up such scintillating lines as, "They're eating her. And then they're going to eat me!" Troll 2 is a masterpiece of cinema and to compare such trivial entries like this "Bite" or whatever it's called is to disgrace the very art form that is film and yourself as well!

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Gorrath said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Fdzzaigl said:

Wait a damned minute! Are you trying to imply that the way he delivered his lines was anything but Oscar worthy? Even The Bard himself could not have conjured up such scintillating lines as, "They're eating her. And then they're going to eat me!" Troll 2 is a masterpiece of cinema and to compare such trivial entries like this "Bite" or whatever it's called is to disgrace the very art form that is film and yourself as well!
Lets be fair about where the blame lies though: its clearly not the best acting but that scene absolutely was not the actor's fault.

He wasn't exactly given "To be or not to be", "Is this a dagger I see before me" or even "Here's a knocking indeed" to read. I reckon even the likes of Laurence Olivier himself would have had difficulty delivering those lines any better. The writing was just diabolical.

Although I kinda feel like Christopher Lee could have given it a good go for some reason. X-D

On topic: Interesting...but I'm REALLY not a horror film person. I'm not the kind of person who handles them well so I think I'll be giving this one a pass. >_>

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
After everything I've seen, I literally can't conceive of a film so grotesque that it could elicit this kind of response. A horror movie could literally be the spawn of cthulhu, and horror fans be like:

https://youtu.be/8_HPFoelMQc?t=39s

Unless you fill the theater with old grandmothers, I always find these stories a little silly. I never cared for shock horror myself. I always liked some good psychological horror, or a cosmic horror story. Maybe some Dark Fantasy, like Berserk.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
there is always going to be worse out there but i always love splatter monster movies

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Gorrath said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Fdzzaigl said:

Lets be fair about where the blame lies though: its clearly not the best acting but that scene absolutely was not the actor's fault.

He wasn't exactly given "To be or not to be", "Is this a dagger I see before me" or even "Here's a knocking indeed" to read. I reckon even the likes of Laurence Olivier himself would have had difficulty delivering those lines any better. The writing was just diabolical.

Although I kinda feel like Christopher Lee could have given it a good go for some reason. X-D

On topic: Interesting...but I'm REALLY not a horror film person. I'm not the kind of person who handles them well so I think I'll be giving this one a pass. >_>
You forgot the most important part: He didn't even speak English. Hell, practically none of the "actors" spoke the language, they were told how to spell their lines phonetically and that's it. Under those circumstances his acting was actually surprisingly good.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, it's not Martyrs, so it definitely isn't that bad, but I'll definitely watch it whenever it gets released on Netflix.

Scrythe said:
Isn't it a little too early to remake Cabin Fever?
Haha!, I was just thinking the same with this! :D
It'll never reach it's greatness without a scene like this.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The Exorcist was perhaps the first horror film to use it,
I don't know about that. William Castle was doing shit like this in the 50's, and this kind of showmanship and even he was predated. Frankenstein (1931) began with a warning that the film is just too fucking scary and there were rumors of people fainting during that one.

In fact, this sort of thing probably predates film.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I grew up with splatter movies. What sort of person actually faints from a movie?