Paramount Bags Rights to World War Z Game

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Paramount Bags Rights to World War Z Game

Max Brooks' zombie apocalypse novel could be getting a game adaptation.

If there's one thing that's obvious about the videogame industry, it's that there simply are not enough zombie-related titles on the market. Paramount Pictures may be looking to give gamers a rare glimpse of the zombie apocalypse, as the film production company has filed a trademark for a videogame adaptation of World War Z.

The trademark was filed in the United States with the classification "downloadable electronic game program, electronic game software, and videogame cartridges/discs." Since Paramount is also the distributor of the upcoming World War Z film, it could be assumed that this potential game would be a movie tie-in, not a direct adaptation of Max Brooks' zombie apocalypse novel. The book was pretty light on action, so it would be hard to guess what genre the game would fall into, unless "oral history simulator" sees a sudden rise in popularity.

Since the World War Z movie has been full of delays, rewrites, and re-shoots, we're probably not going to see a game version in the immediate future. That's not necessarily a bad thing; on paper, a game adaptation of a movie adaptation of an oral history about zombies doesn't exactly sound promising. If this trademark develops into a real game, we'll likely hear more about it early next year, since the film is slated for a June 2013 release.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/17/world-war-z-getting-a-video-game-adaption-too/]

Image: Awards Circuit [http://www.awardscircuit.com/2012/03/14/paramount-moves-world-war-z-to-2013/]

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
I'd actually really like this. His whole premise and approach to the concept is very, very different from Romero and yet at the same time I'd say that he's at least as much of an expert by now on the genre.

Also, his dad is Mel Brooks. Guy is going to make a good movie (someday I hope)

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
Idk about the movie.. but as terrible as this first sounded to me, if the game is a prequel to the book, it might actually work.

The actual war of World War Z from how the books make it out sounds epic, like Yonkers battle, the Europe and South Africa battles, The Chinese submarines etc. It could even have the player switch outta of all the different characters of the novel living out their interview sessions; which would be awesome and separate it from other zombie games, Soo now I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Paramount notice Day Z rise in popularity and think we are trying to make a film like that.I have an idea it it obvious marketing really

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
Its no doubt a marketing move and theres a good chance it'll suck, but world war z has some many set piece moments, that I'm pretty much hoping they grab a developer that at least tries to recreate those moments.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I really want to believe it'll be good.

It most likely won't be. They could take a leaf out of "eternal darkness'" book, and make a genuine survival horror spanning multiple character's stories, but they won't.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Oh god this is dumb. Do they really think that there zombie game is going to do anything that the hundreds of other zombie games haven't? This is a medium that's already saturated. All they got is 'zomg, based on book you love' to differentiate them. Oh this is such a bad move. It's like they're completely oblivious to how bad movie games are and have no idea what the video game market looks like. Who came up with this?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I thought World War Z zombies were impervious to just about any form of damage short of a nuke? That would make a very bad game. I must be thinking of something else...