Paramount Rolls the Dice on Star Trek

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Paramount Rolls the Dice on Star Trek

Star Trek [http://www.paramount.com/]: The studio has sunk $150 million into promoting the film in an attempt to get beyond the traditional Trek fan base and turn it into a genuine summer blockbuster.

Paramount wants Star Trek to be a hit and it's pulling out all the stops to make it happen, dropping $150 million in advertising on top of the actual movie budget of $140 million. It's a big chunk of change, particularly given the whimpering end-notes of the Star Trek film franchise thus far: The last three Trek movies - J. J. Abrams [http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/MOV/008/index.html] could be enough to turn things around.

"Our goal was to go back to the beginning and relaunch this for a broad audience," Paramount Vice Chairman Rob Moore told the Fringe [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-startrek4-2009may04,0,7808046.story] and laid out big bucks to run a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl last February. Abrams and members of the cast and crew have also been sent on a world-wide tour to push the film in as many countries as possible. "We want to introduce the movie to a younger audience in the U.S. who didn't get to see the last Star Trek movie, and international audiences who don't have any awareness of it," Moore added.

It seems to be working. Early "buzz" is positive and despite sharing the month of May with Airlock Alpha [http://www.x-menorigins.com/] says fans and the industry continue to be focused primarily on Star Trek. There's still a certain degree of risk in the strategy. Star Trek will need to thoroughly outperform its predecessors for Paramount to even break even, much less turn a profit. But the studio appears confident in its success: It has already commissioned two writers to begin work on a sequel.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
This movie looks like it will appeal to all the middle schoolers looking for their pg 13 fix. I'm just hoping that the new Terminator movie is good. Christian Bale hasn't let me down before. (besides not making Equilibrium 2)

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I honestly wasn't interested in this (I've watched about 2 episodes of star trek in my life) but it's been getting rave reviews everywhere.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Star Trek is too cult like for Me, I don't think this would appeal to Me.

Where is a Quantum Leap movie? Now THAT I would pay to see (Though it wouldn't really work)

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Even this film was a big ball of suck, when you put it beside that travesty of a Wolverine movie it would look like a freakin' heart-breaking work of unparalleled genius.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine makes Spiderman 3 look like The Dark Knight.

Star Trek is going to totally rock though, right on its own merits.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
so this film needs to earn $290mill just to break even? Dont see it doing that at the box office, but maybe will once comes to DVD.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Is it good? I've not really got around to seeing if it was poo-poo or gold-gold...

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oh, Star Trek DVD's are quite cheap
Khell_Sennet said:
Cousin_IT said:
so this film needs to earn $290mill just to break even? Dont see it doing that at the box office, but maybe will once comes to DVD.
Ah, but then you have to add in the DVD conversion costs, plus the same for BluRay. Factor in the new advertising expenses for both, and the actual cost per disc. That brings us to a nice round figure of $Totally.Fd. And that, boys and girls, is why Paramount charges so f'ing much for Star Trek seasons and films.
Oh, I don't know. Star Trek DVD collections are pretty cheap these days...
I mean, I can get them for £22 where a more typical price for a season of most TV shows is £60 or more... XD.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
Movies nearly always at least make their money back in DVDs, no matter how shitty they are.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Two words: lens flare.
Lens flare, making things look cooler than they are since its inception.

But I might see this movie...on Father's Day.

My dad likes Star Trek, and he likes JJ's TV shows, so...put 'em together.

I like Star Trek, too. Even though I've never seen more than 15 episodes total, I like what I saw.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
This is the first one that wont be trying to budget everything. I got nerdy last night and was looking up X-men at first then read up on every Star Trek movie. I think this movie will do well, and the actors seem genuinly trying to not shame the actors who were before them (Most even got their approval)

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
People, this is THE Star Trek we are talking about here. The single most watched, obsessed about, and longest running sci-fi universe in the world. (well Star Wars fans would disagree, but still...)

This movie will decide the fate of the franchise. If it rocks, Trek will live for another decade, but if it fails miserably (like the new Star Wars movies did), it will overshadow the whole universe. Nemesis was a complete and utter failure, but couldn't do enough damage to dismantle the franchise. But since Star Trek practically vanished off the face of the Earth with Enterprise, the new generation doesn't know what being a trekkie is about.

This movie will decide it all.