Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Ekonk said:
Let's face it, the games industry is a corrupt and cruel one. It's kind of strange in this day and age.
Isn't that normal rather than strange? I don't think I can name an industry that ISN'T corrupt and cruel.

OT: I think there are only two appropriate responses to this. LOL and /facepalm.

On a somewhat hilarious side note, this is a rather appropriate article to read right after finishing watching Idiocracy.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Television the medium that brought Paris Hilton into the public eye and made her a star.
Television the medium that airs hour after hour of mind numbing soap operas filled to the brim with dry humping
Television the medium that has turned countless generations into mindless drooling zombies
Television the medium that enforces the notion that sex is bad and unnatural but horrible act of human on human violence well thats just the american way.

I think the PTC members need to look at their own medium, before they think to open their mouths.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
As serious as the issue is, it amuses me how much a peace-and-purity foundation resorts to crying out in hate.

Also, if these companies are managing to earn a huge profit by giving mature material to children (also see: Internet, Films, Television, Comics, Books, Religion, Art, Education, and People), where are the Parents? I played games outside of my age bracket when I was younger, but I had parents who were able to judge whether or not it was too mature. Lenient, perhaps, but I've yet to flip out and kill anyone...in fact, I'm closer to a pacifist than a 'thug'.

Call me crazy, but I think parenting is a better way to be a parent to children than ordering the government to do it for you.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....
Either that or the USSR. Next thing you know the phones will be tapped.

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
I always wonder what it'd be like if all entertainment was completely unrated and unrestricted, with depicted violence, sex and what have you being perfectly acceptable for consumption by all castes of society.

May 4, 2009
Great, so a "Television Counsil" is piping up now. Why exactly, because games can be played on TVs? That's it isn't it! Maybe if we all jump to our PCs right now these derpers won't be able to find us!;p Seriously though, I won't listen to a supposed watchdog group that wants to muzzle gaming, while crap (like everything on MTV) is allowed to flourish in their own "backyard". Get your own shit together PTC, then maybe you'll have a case.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
WHAT?!?!?! We are bullies for defending what we love?! you got to be kidding

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The Escapist is going to cover every second of the court case right? Since this is the biggest direct threat ever to be aimed at gaming, we need to know everything that goes down in that building.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Cool it guys, we need to stay frosty on this one. This isn't a political statement or an attempt to whip up public support. This is provocation, and we need to be smart enough to sidestep it. Remember, the public wants to see us as violent and irrational. There's no more rational response to this than to ignore it.

We shall speak our piece, quietly and clearly.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
and they call us bullies...I'm curious as to how much research they've done on the subject of gaming. Shouldn't this council be trying to crucify Matt Stone and Trey Parker? I've seen more skin in South Park, on TV (as in, censored TV as opposed to uncensored DVD), than I've seen in Dragon Age or, Mass Effect. As for violence...well, gaming wins the violence race. I don't know of any TV show or series that depicts hulking man-children using chainsaw bayonets to kill each other or, shows with scenes of gun-in-mouth suicides.

Anyway, these people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon now that the issue is gaining momentum. Can't wait for this to blow over...what we need is an insane heavy metal band to burn some churches. That should take some attention off of gaming.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
This sounds like a bully whining to the teacher that their former target is bullying them, when said target is just standing up for themselves. It's disgusting.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
This is such bullshit. Why is it parents are actively seeking excuses not to do their jobs? Kids already can't buy M rated games, we don't need a new law. What we need is for parents to understand the system in place and know what game ratings mean.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
AnAngryMoose said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....
Two words for you bro: PATRIOT Act.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Flamezdudes said:
The people who are crazy get the most attention
And oddly enough, that's generally the people opposing us gamers. Maybe we need to do some crazy shit and people will pay attention!
That's a brilliant idea!...oh but then we'll be called 'crazy bullies who are capable of anything...ANYTHING!'

We can't win :(

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Starke said:
Gardenia said:
BritishWeather said:
lol what

seriously who run the PTC a load of 17th century Quakers
That's what I'm guessing. Does anyone worth mentioning actually listen to what PTC have to say?
My parents did. The PTC flipped out at Power Rangers back when it first aired, claiming it was promoting school violence or gang warfare or some shit. So the horribly dubbed martial arts show was instantly verboten.
Yeah, I wasn't allowed to see Power Rangers either. But not because of religious moralists claiming it would increase gang violence and such. My parents just had the common decency to think for themselves, and saw that it was a violent show.

I guess what bugs me about this isn't the fact that they want children to be less exposed to media violence, which I would claim is a good thing. It's the fact that they think they are better than you at judging what's acceptable.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
So since we disagree with you, gamers and the game industry do not have the right to stand up for what we believe in by sending a peaceful, clear, and assertive message to a congressman? If someone tried to take their Bibles away saying that the violence contained within was damaging to children, I wonder if they would quietly hand them over. I don't think so. Just because these conservative parents don't understand the medium doesn't mean that the people who do are bullies or are launching vicious attacks. I thought speaking your mind and defending one's rights was a staple of my country. I guess I was wrong. RIP The First Amendment.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Wait... THEY call US bullies without having any evidence for that all of us go out each Saturday night to cave peoples skulls in? And how many games have THEY played to make them form this opinion? Have they even TRIED the games that are INTENDED for kids?

This calls for drastic measures! The law is against us! Society's against us! The State is against us! We need help! We need heroes! We need... ANONYMOUS!

Or just Cthulhu for president...

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
everyone that said it's the parents responsibility is entirely supported by me. The ESRB already rates games accordingly. With games with blatant sex and extreme excess violence being placed under the A rating which 99% stores dont even carry. I distinctly remember back when i was a kid that I had to ask my parents to buy a game with me. Even once years ago I was stopped at the cash register and told to bring my father. Nothing special I had a feeling it would happen, but he bought the game for me anyway. what kind of regulations would you implement? a ban on all M-rated games? What are you going to do about downloaded games? Lock up hundreds or thousands of servers containing all these A-rated games. I play games frequently and yes I agree there are some games with excess violence, but the games with a lot of violence are already marked and forcing parents to be present at purchase. Kids can't get credit cards and can't buy a game. Kids can't play their own games outside of their parent's house (disregard going to a friend's house since i wouldn't like someone over for every day they a game) Kids can't access the internet without their parents. SOO....everything falls back to the parents.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
AnAngryMoose said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Two words for you bro: PATRIOT Act.
No clue what it is (Not a US citizen). Just poking fun, is all.