Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

The Parents Television Council [http://www.parentstv.org/] says the videogame industry and its supporters are "thugs" and "bullies" for daring to stand up for their First Amendment rights at the Supreme Court.

The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group dedicated to restoring "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry," has Harassment and Half-Truth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76851-Parents-Television-Council-Supports-Schwarzenegger-Appeal]" is a bit harsh.

"Like the violent thugs which populate so many of the games it sells, the videogame industry has responded to the ongoing court case with vicious attacks," the editorial states. "California State Senator Leland Yee, who introduced the law, has been personally targeted by the videogame industry and various groups they fund."

Senator Yee, as you may recall, was "targeted" by a mail them to the Senator [http://www.videogamevoters.org/] to remind him that they won't stand idly by while he attempts to control their media consumption. This "hate mail," as the PTC desrcribed it, "is simply the industry throwing a temper tantrum and trying to intimidate someone who dares to hold them to the standards the gaming industry itself allegedly endorses."

"The videogame industry and those who support them are bullies, plain and simple," it continues. "The PTC urges its members to stand up to the billionaire game companies that profit from selling sex and violence to children."

There's an undeniable irony in the PTC's claim that the videogame industry has "resorted to half-truths to try to make its point," which is rendered somewhat less amusing by the fact that these people may actually get their way, and that in an unprecedented assault on the sanctity of the First Amendment an entire medium may be muzzled, not for what it does, but simply for what it is. Someday, hopefully, we'll be able to look back on this and laugh, but right now it's really not very funny at all.

Oral arguments in Schwarzenegger v. EMA/ESA are scheduled to take place on November 2.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/10/18/ptc-compares-game-industry-groups-thugs]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh the wonderful irony of the Parents TELEVISION Council, watchdogs of "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry" are pointing at US for "selling sex and violence to children".

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
This is honestly starting to scare me. The uninformed masses will hear the cries of these "special interest groups", and they will do whatever they tell them to...

Well, first amendment, it's been fun while it lasted. Have a good life elsewhere.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Right, because the oppression of rights is far less aggressive than protesting peacefully to maintain them.

Fuckwits.

Cockfaces.

Morons.

Bananahs

Nov 18, 2009
This made me laugh. Television is more responsible for the perpetual cycle of sexualisation younger and younger children. Over here in the United Kingdom we were all shocked at the popularity of Susan Boyle, who just so happened to be not so physically attractive. Television has conditioned all of our offspring to push themselves to be thin, perfect and full of 'talent'. It's a dangerous social frame of mind and I very much doubt video-games have had any part in this sort of thing. Violent video-games do no similar dangers to minors, and if they even do harm, it is the PARENTS responsibility and not the child's. It should never be the government's right to regulate an artistic medium of such potential.

My 2 cents.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What is it with parents anyway?

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
"Herp Derp teh Gamers r bullein us!"

What a generalization, perhaps if these people opened their eyes then they would see that 99% of the people who make and play games are completely nice, normal people.

The people who are crazy get the most attention and therefore, generalizations are made.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Oh the wonderful irony of the Parents TELEVISION Council, watchdogs of "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry" are pointing at US for "selling sex and violence to children".

This entirely, why is it the industries responsibility to keep violent games out of the hands of children? This is just parents being too lazy to watch what their own kids are doing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zhukov said:
What is it with parents anyway?

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?
I haven't got a clue. When I have a kid (woe betide that little tyke) i'm going to offer him the chance to smoke and drink early. Best know the risks and the world early rather than get kicked up the ass later :p

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
God it's Jack Thompson all fucking over again!
"Like the violent thugs which populate so many of the games it sells, the videogame industry has responded to the ongoing court case with vicious attacks," the editorial states. "California State Senator Leland Yee, who introduced the law, has been personally targeted by the videogame industry and various groups they fund."
Seriously? It's even the same language and everything!

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
So they are mad that we are standing up for our rights?
[sub]This sucks...[/sub]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Yup, because gamers can really throw their weight around in this situation. Has anyone in America aside from actual gamers listened to our side at all?

Fucking hypocrites.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
The people who are crazy get the most attention
And oddly enough, that's generally the people opposing us gamers. Maybe we need to do some crazy shit and people will pay attention!

Frenger

May 31, 2009
"selling sex and violence to children".

Here I thought it was the parents who bought games/films/books (lol, books, I wish) to their children? Or am I wrong? Last time I checked, ALL games were given a rating. Isn't this what should be discussed? Or have I missed something?

Happy I don't live over there, shame that this shit will carry over here, sooner or later.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Korey Von Doom said:
lacktheknack said:

This entirely, why is it the industries responsibility to keep violent games out of the hands of children? This is just parents being too lazy to watch what their own kids are doing.
I was trying to point out that television is by far more vile and sleazy, while being more accessible to children.

Apr 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog group dedicated to restoring "responsibility and decency to the entertainment industry,"...
Whats funny is that the game industry is the most responsible of them all.