Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
This is starting to feel distressingly similar to several dystopian scifis I've been reading lately....

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zhukov said:
What is it with parents anyway?

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?
Yes.

That can be a good thing... or a very, very bad thing.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I agree that stores should not sell mature rated games to minors, but only if same rule will apply to movies and music.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Wait, what? Since when does the videogame industry "bully" people? Does it take their lunch money for kicks? Actually, yeah, activision does that, but we shun them.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Zhukov said:

Does cranking out a child automatically instil a person with a zealous desire to rid the world of anything that might threaten the purity of their little darling?
Well they want to protect the child, obviously. However some think that protecting a child from bumping their knees calls for a suit of armour and the worlds most advanced forcefield technology.

OT:
This law will not pass. The opposition is massive and the last thing Schwarzenegger should want when he is in debt (He in particular due to less taxes being paid and more money being spent in education. Budget Derp) is the restriction of an entire industry.
Andy Chalk said:
"The PTC urges its members to stand up to the billionaire game companies that profit from selling sex and violence to children."
There are BIG labels on the game saying whatever the age rating is there. It's not hard. Also, when was the last time a game actually sold us sex? I'm talking detail and full frontal nudity here.

Calumon: Why would it be Hate Mail if I sent it with hearts on my letter?

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
BritishWeather said:
lol what

seriously who run the PTC a load of 17th century Quakers
That's what I'm guessing. Does anyone worth mentioning actually listen to what PTC have to say?

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
Lord, these "conservative watchdog group" need to go piss up a rope and leave people alone already. Little kids who dress like whores, buy dangerous toys, violent videogames and other inappropriate material are getting their money from somewhere. "Somewhere" being their PARENTS. So suddenly not allowing them to buy the games themselves will only result in the parents, who obviously don't care either way, going get the games regardless. Situation doesn't change.

Why can't people find better things to do with their time? Go protest violence against women, child abuse or your own corrupt government or some god damn thing that actually matters in the world.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
Zhukov said:

No but apparently when you become a parent in the US, you require everyone else to do your job for you.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
So, airing Two and a Half Men on TV all day is better for our kids than say, playing through a game like Persona or Heavy Rain, both of which are M rated games too? Good to know.

The Parent's Television Council needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize if you restrict a medium *by law* even moreso than the law already covers, you begin to slide down a very slippery slope of censorship. There is nothing in the video game industry that is any more obscene than what we've had on television and radio, and yet parents refuse to believe that they can control what they buy for their children because "the video game industry and those who support them are bullies, plain and simple". I don't recall ever going into a video game store and being accosted into buying any particular game. I have seen cashiers list off a huge list of ESRB warning from the box of Grand Theft Auto 4 to a parent buying the game for her 12-year-old son's friend as a birthday gift. If you're still buying the game for a minor at that point, that is not the fault of the industry.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
This council sound like a bunch of cowards to me.

Man up and try taking care of your own kids instead of everyone's.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, well they are. Just look at Activision. That's one big fucking bully that needs to be thrown down by bloody revolution. Or that guy that was fired for hatin' on Kane & Lynch. That's some bullying right there.

Let's face it, the games industry is a corrupt and cruel one. It's kind of strange in this day and age.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
If they get their way, it will be the biggest successful attack on our First Amendment rights since...well I guess it isn't half as bad as all the things certain former Republican administrations did, but still. How about we say that they can't teach religion to children because someone is brutally nailed to a cross. THEY PUT UP THE DAMN THING EVERYWHERE! how is that less violent.

Also, gamers seem to have very little to say in this argument. Considering that we are the most affected group (not personally, but the implications can spread) I haven't seen a damn thing about any gamers being interviewed. Also, it's hardly hate mail when it's broken controllers. Junk mail maybe, but I see no hatred with sending broken tech to someone who plans to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
It is one thing to limit games to those under 18 but don't define games as lacking first amendment support. That is just going way to far and could be something that we are stuck with for years until the above 50's die out.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Gardenia said:
BritishWeather said:
lol what

seriously who run the PTC a load of 17th century Quakers
That's what I'm guessing. Does anyone worth mentioning actually listen to what PTC have to say?
My parents did. The PTC flipped out at Power Rangers back when it first aired, claiming it was promoting school violence or gang warfare or some shit. So the horribly dubbed martial arts show was instantly verboten.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
One can only hope world outgrows these groups as we all become informed on new media outlets. Till then we weather the storm of our uninformed elders and hope people of our generations stay informed on current technology when we get older so can have a valid and informative input when time comes.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Wait wait wait...

Television council?

Yeah cause you're obviously an unbiased expert on this(!)
This. ^

"If the television rage continues- we are going to have a nation of morons."-President of Boston University 1950.

Seriously though; an industry which profits from "selling sex and violence to children"? As if television or the streets are any better.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Parents Television Council Calls Game Industry "Thugs" and "Bullies"
Maybe they were just looking in the mirror. Because I believe posting evidence is a good thing, while condemning people purely because of what they are is in breach of a few amendments itself.

Not that I'm up with American Law or anything, but couldn't the Game Industry counter-sue for slander?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Maybe this is a good thing, after all parents don't do shit about bullies which means they should leave us alone.