Part you hate of a game you love.

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Backtracking in WItcher 2 it gets reaaaally old really fast but I guess game would be a lot shorter without it

fingerbang143

Dec 21, 2010
The quest in oblvion's shiver isles where you have to go underground and become addicted to something until you get the cup thingy :p

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Final Fantasy VII - great glacier im fine with it now but back in the day I hated it got lost for hours there.

Mass Effect 2 - planet scanning, I was so glad they got rid of the rubbish mako bits from mass effect 1 until I discovered they had actually replaced it with something even worse makes me a little anxious about mass effect 3.

Bayonetta - the story seriously wtf I had no idea what was going on until my 3rd playthrough and it still makes little sense, its not interesting or so bad its good (like original DMC) its just awful.

Theres probably loads more but these ones sprang to mind from the games I like (mostly)

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Love Mass Effect 2, but I hate that I can't stand out cover for more than 2 secs without risking death. Although the combat is easier, I liked that Shepard and Co. had shields that actually did their job in Mass Effect 1.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
Dark messiah of might and magic: those FUCKING spiders.Whenever they appear they poison me and jump at me showing off those eight horrifing legs of poison.Made all the worse by the fact that theyt are the most realistic looking(apart from the size) thing in the game.

Assasins creed 2: Every time you get a runner gaurd, Ezio feels the need to suddenly be attrackted to walls so fiercly he cant resis running up them and giving the runner an extra 20 feet or so.

Team fortress 2: Demomen. All kinds of them.Fucking instantkilers...

yohlazy

Jul 1, 2011
Dragon age fade
Final fantasy 9 stealing (spent 2 hours trying to steal one item before)
a few others like assassins creed horse riding

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
nad302 said:
The last big part of Half life 2 episode 2, the part with the striders and the Magnuson devices, i also just skip it out. Not sure why i don't like it just find it really boring.
It's also fucking impossible to kill all those hunters if you haven't saved up on ammo.
Not if you road-kill them it isn't.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
These are the parts I hate in games I love:

1) All water based levels in Nintendo games,like the underwater levels in Super Mario Galaxy or the Water Temples of all Zeldas.

2)Timed levels in 3d Super Mario games.

3) The fact that in Mass Effect 2,there where many times that I wanted to run in a corridor but because the game uses the same button for running that it does for cover,my character gets sucked by nearby walls and crates like he has a magnet on him.

4) The fact that many Oblivion mods require other mods to be installed before they run.
Looking at the description of the mod and reading: "this mod requires X,Y,Z,A,B,C,D, mods to be installed before you install it".

5) In Crysis I hate it when the game spawns enemies and they pop up out of nowhere having you surrounded.It's not just stupid that they seem to come to existence out of air,but it's also unfair to find yourself surrounded that way.

I could wright many many more,but I got bored for now. :)

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Amarok said:
Games. We love 'em. Even in the festering pit of jaded hatred that is this forum (and no offence meant, this is my favourite forum on the citadel/ the internet), we all have games that we love. Whether or not we sit upon a mountain of beloved games or keep a firm allegiance with only one, we all have games that are near and dear to our hearts.

But it's highly unlikely that we love every last thing about it, so, Escapists, combining bile AND love into one happy thread, I ask you, what is your most hated part of your most favouritest game? Leave more than one example if you wish!

Example #1: Mass Effect. No, it's not the Mako, I actually don't mind that little bastard (though the whiplash must be immense), for me, it's planet Feros. The visuals are dull and uninteresting, browns and dusty greys, the music is dreary, the characters have no personality beyond "we don't want to leave this colony despite the suicidal dangers of staying here" and the last boss of it goes on for way, way too long.

Example #2: Abe's Exoddus - Nekrum Mines. Probably due to the fact that I didn't have a memory card as a kid, I've just played that part way too much compared to the rest of the game.
The "Big Boner" Sequence of Shadows of the Damned sucked pretty hard.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Diablo 2, I just really hate that underground twisty tunnel in the desert stage, full of those giant stag beetles that electrocute everything near when it dies. I FUCKING HATE 'EM!

Super Metroid, disappointed by the final boss, not really hate.

Shadow of the Colossus, trying to get to the last weak spot for the 2nd last boss is bloody annoying. I found that colossi boring compared to the previous also.

Super Smash Brothers Melee, staying alive for 15mins against polygons just to earn the old Donkey Kong stage is tedious, only prize I don't like earning again.

Half-life 2, when your in the war and the resistance helps you out, but I find them always in my fucking way!

Ocarina of Time, Ganon was challenging the first time but he is possibly the easiest the 2nd time around when you know all the weaknesses. I find that to be a flaw.

Total Annihilation, I can not get the bloody music to work during skirmish and online. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

Lineage 2, Bots and farmers suck! They're so lucky the new rules came in.

Im Phelpsing It

Jun 15, 2011
The Library in Halo 1. I think Ive played through that level 2 or 3 times out of the 100s of times Ive played the rest of the levels.

rutcommapat

Jul 1, 2011
Well, no game is perfect, so here goes. My current favorite games of this generation:

Half Life 2 - The crab monsters are the most annoying and least satisfying enemies in the history of the world.

Red Dead Redemption - Holy fuck is this game easy. Also, why can my 100 year old shotgun snipe a fucking hawk from any distance when used with Dead-Eye?

Saints Row 2 - Wow, is this game glitchy. I mean, I'm used to there being glitches in Free Roam games by now, but this game takes the fucking cake. Actually, the entire thing needed a lot more polish than it has. The weapon storage thing is useless - For some reason the Minigun is in the Special Weapon category, but places itself in the assult rifle one if you use it. On top of that, if you get infinite assult rifle ammo from completing the hitman missions, your sniper rifle ALSO has infinite ammo. Could someone explain to me why is it that my character can hold 25 RPG rockets but only 10 grenades? And why is it that I've completed everything that the game requires for 100% completion yet only has me at 96%?

Crackdown - None of the core gameplay mechanics are perfect. Targeting has a nasty habit of locking onto dead bodies, jumping from rooftop to rooftop can be made annoying by the fact that your character only really bothers to grab a ledge if he feels like it.

Portal - Um. Fuck. Well, if you purchase it by itself rather than with the Orange Box you may feel like you're not getting much value for your dollar, considering it's three hours long and doesn't have a lot of replay value.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I hate the puzzles in the Neo Ark in Parasite Eve 2. They aren't hard, and they were fun the first time, but damned if they don't get to be a pain in the butt after five times through.

I also hate scanning for minerals in Mass Effect 2. Wasn't too bad the first time, again, but after five times (again) I am so over it.

Vexik

Aug 4, 2010
Don said:
Where to start... well in the interests of saving space on the thread, I'll spoiler genres

Total War Series:
The really unfriendly time limits in the campaigns of newer games
Bad unit pathfinding
Factions are often really unbalanced
Backstabbing AI; they always betray you
THIS. I luuuurve me some Medieval II: Total War, but so help me, it can really fall down on these points. I save before any movement through fog-of-war, because the pathfinding might detect something unseen, and thereby take a route all the way around some mountains or something... which means I not only lose that unit's move for that turn, I lose it for next turn too, as I redirect them back. Ugh.

Also, the betrayal and outright jerkiness of the other factions. Yeah, it's Total War and it'd be too easy a game if everyone just played nice, but there's rarely any rhyme or reason to it. Oh, look, I'm the biggest and most powerful nation. Oh, look, I have a long-standing alliance with this other country who is tiny and weak. Oh, look, they decided to declare war... by blockading a port, but without moving any armies up. What are they thinking?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
The Mako combat parts in Mass Effect. Exploring was great fun, but having a section of every mission where you need to fight in this clunky POS just got old fast.

Planet Scanning in ME2 was also pretty bad, but after the patch that sped it up it got a lot more tolerable. Really though, even before I can't say I hated it.

Dragon Age: Origins....the fade. Seriously, just fuck the fade. There's a reason why a mod called "Skip the Fade" is so popular.

The Library level in Halo was just so....annoying. Honestly, that's the only thing that making me unhappy about the Halo Remake coming out, knowing that I'm going to buy it, and then going to have to play this part...again.

And The Vault/Prison Escape from Fallout 3 and Oblivion, respectively. Not so much that they're badly done, but after doing them so many times, I just...I can't do it anymore.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
varulfic said:
The morality system in... well, every game it's ever featured in (with the possible exception of kotor - a morality system makes sense in Star Wars since the universe is completely black and white anyway), but one that especially infuriated me was the one in Infamous.

What pissed me off most in Infamous was that there were certain moral choices that were kinda grey, but they were still called GOOD or EVIL. At one point they basically give you Sophie's choice.

It's like the ending of the first Spiderman movie - big bad kidnaps your girlfriend and a couple of random people (six doctors), then makes you choose who you want to save - you don't have time to save both.

Saving the six doctors is considered the Good option. Saving your girlfriend is Evil.
I don't think I ever felt more offended by a video game then this part, and it makes my blood boil just thinking about it. What kind of fucking idiot thinks that this is a clear moral choice with a good and evil answer? It's not! Even fucking Batman struggled with this one. If anything, I'd say the evil option is the good one, because taking the good option kinda implies that you have no emotions.
No, in fact this plays even harder to your Stars Wars analogy. It isn't necessarily 'good and evil' in this choice. It's more selfish vs unselfish. Saving the doctors shows you are an unselfish hero. You are doing what you can for the people. Hell, if I remember right Cole's girlfriend is even telling him to save the doctors. It's not like they make it hard to tell which choice is considered the good one.

OT: The 2v1 fights in Mortal Kombat's story mode. Every time I saw it coming I would just be lke, "Son of a *****..."

Everything about RD:R so far outside of the setting. It's a game I desperately want to like and had high hopes for, but I just haven't been able to get into it.