Part you hate of a game you love.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Amarok said:
the characters have no personality beyond "we don't want to leave this colony despite the suicidal dangers of staying here"
I think you migh have missed the story...

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
Mallefunction said:
Zorak the Mantis said:
Being timed or graded on every mission in AC:Brotherhood... seriously, I just want to play the game, not take a test.
Yeah, I apply this to pretty much any game that makes you play it a certain way or grades you. I mean, I GET that we don't have to do it that way...but then the game usually makes a big deal out of me failing.

Also, the Arcadia level in Bioshock. I always get lost and I hate how the whole thing is a giant fetch quest with no real challenge. At least I get a boss fight in the other levels or significant plot updates. Here it's just "Go get rose. Go get 7 bits of 3 items, save forest, do not pass go, do not collect $200."
Right? Too many games rely on a system of measuring the player before letting them proceed, and it's always thrust in your face if you do something that the game doesn't want you too do. There's more than one way to skin a cat people...

And yes, I agree fetch quests with no context or real challenge are bad. However some games make it interesting, like Penumbra or Amnesia, you have to actually use your head to get things, it's not like running around picking a dozen flowers for a random NPC.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
A common problem to RPGs that end after the main quest (Fallout 3 pre-Broken Steel, New Vegas, Mass Effect series) is that it by necessity forces out any sense of urgency. Take NV for example. It's all "oh noes, the Legion will attack soon"... no, no it won't. How can I possibly RP this being as urgent as it's made out to be without missing most of the game?

Actually, Fallout 3 even pre-Broken Steel doesn't have so much of a problem with this: Dad's stuck in the simulation, giving you an opportunity to faff about for as long as you want. And even after you rescue him, he gives you the choice of whether to follow him to Rivet City or not. In fact, I'd say the pacing there was pretty good. The main quest really doesn't have a sense of urgency, except maybe the part where you're sent to Vault 87 and it's implied that you should hurry lest the Enclave beat you to the GECK.

I'm starting to like FO3's main quest better than NV's, the more I think about it. Rarely are you the player left with the impression that everyone's twiddling their thumbs waiting for you, they easily could be doing something useful while they're "off screen" so to speak. Meanwhile NV gives the impression that the Legion and NCR are just glaring at each other across a line waiting for you to drop by to drop a match into the tinderbox...

Oh yeah, also: hate the Mako. Hate, hate, hate it. And the snipers, at least early on, when they can one-shot your poor biotic. It's kinda worth it though when you become a nigh-unstoppable god later on...though you can still be two-shotted by snipers. ;)

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins. I have 2; the fade during the mage circle, and the Broodmother. Seriosuly, I hate the nighmare inducing broodmother.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Zorak the Mantis said:
Right? Too many games rely on a system of measuring the player before letting them proceed, and it's always thrust in your face if you do something that the game doesn't want you too do. There's more than one way to skin a cat people...

And yes, I agree fetch quests with no context or real challenge are bad. However some games make it interesting, like Penumbra or Amnesia, you have to actually use your head to get things, it's not like running around picking a dozen flowers for a random NPC.
Yeah, if the designers want you to do something specific, they should just make a trophy/achievement for a certain way of playing rather than shove it into the game. Hell if they WANT you to play a certain way, they could make it just impossible to complete the level without doing said specific thing (like how you get desyncronized in AC if you get detected during the mission).

Yeah, Amnesia is great. I love that even though most of the game is just spent looking for things, it never barks at you to 'go get this, go get that'.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
In Half Life 1, that fucking cart level. Having to drive through dark tunnels with tons of enemies, electric water,tons of enemies, almost no health packs or ammo, and tons of enemies. Did I mention the enemies?

And facing John Cena in a First Blood match for the WWE Championship in SmackDown! vs Raw 2006 really pisses you off. I know he's Superman and everything, but the fact that it takes 20 STRAIGHT MINUTES and 500 CHAIR SHOTS to the fucking face just to make him bleed is ridiculous.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I love Mass Effect 2 but the part that I hate about it is when Shepard has to board the derelict Reaper to find the Reaper IFF. The amount of enemies that rush you in that mission can get annoying at times.

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
hurfdurp said:
I love the opening village portion of RE4, but once I get Ashley it kind of goes downhill, and then it becomes especially bad once you get to the facility type place near the end.
I totally agree with this, I found myself just leaving her in boxes until i cleared everything then calling when I realized she exists again, the part in the castle when she has to pull levers up high and you had to protect her, hated that so much, trying not to shoot her when they grab her, and I had to do it with limited ammo. Hate Ashley so much.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I just replayed SW: Battlefront 2, my favourite game of all time. Surprisingly it lived up to expectations since the many years I played it last time, but one thing that really bothered me was lighting. Maybe I had bad settings or it just doesn't work with new TVs, but I couldn't see anything sometimes.

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
Mallefunction said:
Yeah, if the designers want you to do something specific, they should just make a trophy/achievement for a certain way of playing rather than shove it into the game. Hell if they WANT you to play a certain way, they could make it just impossible to complete the level without doing said specific thing (like how you get desyncronized in AC if you get detected during the mission).

Yeah, Amnesia is great. I love that even though most of the game is just spent looking for things, it never barks at you to 'go get this, go get that'.
Again I would agree. I think that games should allow different possibilities to solve puzzles and achieve goals. Most games today make me feel like I am limited in my choices.

Take the Assassins Creed series for example, a great set of games, some of my favorite games in fact. However, the solution to every assassination is generally run up to said target and stab him. Granted the game does a good job of letting you kill people in all sorts of fantastic ways. But it would be nice if I could take more unconventional routes in assassination people, like poisoning their wine or planting a snake in their bed as they snooze.

Feb 28, 2008
Nuclear weapons in Civilization IV. They are an actual game-ruiner, unless you can get a diplomatic resolution forbidding them or get a mod that ruins them.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Zorak the Mantis said:
Again I would agree. I think that games should allow different possibilities to solve puzzles and achieve goals. Most games today make me feel like I am limited in my choices.

Take the Assassins Creed series for example, a great set of games, some of my favorite games in fact. However, the solution to every assassination is generally run up to said target and stab him. Granted the game does a good job of letting you kill people in all sorts of fantastic ways. But it would be nice if I could take more unconventional routes in assassination people, like poisoning their wine or planting a snake in their bed as they snooze.
XD Yeah, I love the games too...and yet they probably frustrate me more than any other series. It does a lot of things right by me....and yet so many lazy and stupid mistakes as well.

That would be cool...but they would have to allow Ezio to enter more than just 2 buildings in the entire game for that. And I think they are also making these games under the assumption that all people want is sword-fighting and that they don't care about any stealth or sneaking elements.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I remember hating the snow levels from Donkey Kong Country since they were quite hard to get throught. The hardest one was that level that started as a small blizzard but it get bigger and bigger throughout the level. It became really hard to see to the point you make bad judgement at jumping. I was so glad once I completed that level and move onto a different theme levels.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Make no mistake: I love The World Ends With You. Heck, Sho is my second non-Touhou avatar here (numero uno being Scott Pilgrim). However, I can stand to complain about the steep learning curve for the combat, particularly for people who aren't good at brawlers like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage. And then there's the boss fight for Shiki Day 7...

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
Mallefunction said:
XD Yeah, I love the games too...and yet they probably frustrate me more than any other series. It does a lot of things right by me....and yet so many lazy and stupid mistakes as well.

That would be cool...but they would have to allow Ezio to enter more than just 2 buildings in the entire game for that. And I think they are also making these games under the assumption that all people want is sword-fighting and that they don't care about any stealth or sneaking elements.
Yes there are tons of things that they could have improved on, but hey, no game is perfect... otherwise we wouldn't be playing anything else.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There's always going to be a bit in a game that you hate while the rest is good. The first one that comes to MIND is a section of MDK2.

Alright, folks. There are bits you hate when you play as Max and you have to deal with precision jet-packing. BUT the big one is the section where there is a massive tower that you have to scale up these questionable ledges, all while watching out for the unending spawn of flying enemies with plasma guns and whatnot. This is a hard bit, because a false move on one of these ledges - and some of them pop in and out on you - sends you dropping back down to the bottom.

Now, this isn't so much a problem of, say, environmental death hazard, but it's still an incredibly-hard thing to deal with when you would probably have to go at it over and over and over again. FORTUNATELY, the game developers realized how much players would HATE this and also installed a secret elevator. Now, is that fore-thought or what? Here's an annoying part of the game and somewhere in the floor is an easier way to handle it! SMART!

Elliott Curtiss

Apr 19, 2011
MercurySteam said:
this isnt my name said:
Fable tlc - ... It made me waste money, I loved it enough to trust LH with fable 2 and fable 3. I suppose I hated it set a bar that others havent reached, it had a charm I havent seen anywhere else and that has left me dissaponted.
This, this and THIS.

An RPG like Fable: The Lost Chapters will never be made again and it saddens me how Lionhead ran their own franchise into the ground when the time came for them to prove that the franchise could compete with other RPGs of this day and age. To make it worse, not one, but both of the Fable games that followed were terrible and were a waste of time and money for both the devs and the fans of the original fable.

Here's to the memory of the original Fable. May your glory be preserved forever!

you...you have made me cry with your video. R.I.P. Fable