Participate in a Survey About Gender Diversity in Video Games

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Done, though for some reason I have the feeling that some questions were written in order to force the desired answer. The scale on the other hand did not have any way to indicate that I couldn't care less about certain "diversity" factors.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I responded to the survey but found it lacking in some parts, I don't know if the person who wrote it is reading this but regardless, I tend to always give feedback when I find a survey lacking. The question of how much time I spend on games every week varies a lot, too much to put down as a single number. And I wasn't really clear on what I was supposed to specify when it came to which platform I preferr.

Also I answered the question "How important is it to be able to relate to your avatar" based on other things than race/sex/gender/class/physical limitations. It's very important to me to be able to relate to the character I'm playing, but race, gender and sexuality aren't necessarily barriers in that regard, a lot of other things are though. One of the games that I was most put off by because I couldn't relate to the main character was God of War (mainly 2, but the first one as well), even though Kratos and I share both gender and sexuality.

Also, I found it interesting that the survey brought up physical limitations, but didn't seem to ask if I had any..

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hoplon said:
Karadalis said:
Hoplon said:
what was weirdest about this is after the "it would be too much work" they then released videos about the making of saying it would be super easy and they in fact already have all the animations etc they would need.
Actually it wasy only one PR person who said it would "to hard" in an interview.

That actually pissed off the animators.. you know the guys who later showed that it is rather easy and not time consuming at all, because they felt being thrown under the bus and abused as a shield for the PR department to hide behind.

Animators where NOT happy about that statement.

On the other hand the entire char cast could be female and you wouldnt see 50% of the games playerbase suddenly become female.. nor would sales rise. Quite the contrary... it might even drop. (However i am curious if that would turn out to be true or if people didnt really give two shits about the protagonists gender... i mean hey... tomb raider sold 5 million + copies... again the majority of the buyers being males)
To the first point, Yet the PR guys are responsible for both being released to the public. Strange people.

To the second point, I don't think most people care about the gender of the protagonists so much as them not being another cardboard cut out with Ubisoft protagonist syndrome, I.e. an angry white man who is very angry but other wise is a total dipshit with the personal charisma of a dead rat. Only Ezio has not fallen in to that trap. and then when it should be jsut a choice since they aren't the protagonist anymore, they shut out any other options.

It's not even like they can't produce other characters, but they constantly make this same boring fuckwit the lead save for some DLC and a vita game. Probably because marketing says to.
Yeah i can see where you are comming from, but that is not the position of the people who had screamed the loudest when this whole thing about assasins creed blew up.

They didnt wanted a better written character.. they wanted the same angry white dude just... not a white dude... how about a black dude? Or better yet.. a female angry dude. See this isnt diversity this is tokenism.

Colored characters for example? I do not think there where that many people of color in france during the french revolution and the knights templar (wich i think are still the main baddies) would simply hunt down any person of color once they find out that the top assasin is a black guy.. cause hey... thats the simplest and easiest solution and an obvious identifier. I mean it was even possible to lock away all the japanese during WW2 and no one said anything.

On the other hand having a dry as stale bread angry grizzled dude number 21145 is bad... especialy if you have a series that has been going on for so long you would expect the character cast to be more interesting and well written, and as you said its not a case of "not being able to" heck this is activision we are talking about.. they have enough money around to hire some decent writers... i think its lazyness on activisions part and trying to save some money. However misoginy? Nah... thats not it. Mysoginy doesnt even come into their business decisions.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mezahmay said:
I kinda wish the survey included a middle ground in its questions that asked for a 1-6 answer. I feel like it's now representing my indifference as a slight positive since I couldn't truthfully say I felt negatively toward something. It's also a little weird how the survey asks for gender identity off the bat but uses gender later in place of the survey taker's sex...unless the survey is not interested in the player's sex? But gender does? Does sexual orientation take place of gender identity then? Uh, my head hurts.
Many surveys will ask for your gender rather than your sex because they're interested in what you identify as rather than whether you're biologically male or female. By asking for someone's gender identity, that leaves it open for you to answer whatever way you see fit. Some people identify as male, some identify as female, some identify as a mix or more masculine some days and more feminine other days, some identify as no gender, etc. Sexual orientation is separate from gender identity.

I can understand how that might be confusing for someone who hasn't been involved in conversations about nonbinary genders and people who are transgender.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Littaly said:
Also I answered the question "How important is it to be able to relate to your avatar" based on other things than race/sex/gender/class/physical limitations. It's very important to me to be able to relate to the character I'm playing, but race, gender and sexuality aren't necessarily barriers in that regard, a lot of other things are though.
Heh, my answer was pretty much worthless because of that. It's pretty unimportant. Wait, but it *can* be important. I relate to a character through some mutation of DnD morality chart warped by Warhammer and peppered with various ethical stances that feel relevant to the particular world. Assuming that particular world is realized enough to merit a thought on the subject and that choices in-game are more than "fight or sneak". Exhibited character traits are useful as well, with many protagonists being set in stone.

Character creation games? Survey stuff gets even less relevant. The more options you have, the shallower differences your choices can bring. Which is rather realistic, money being finite etc. Am I supposed to relate to some crap from embedded date simulator minigames or a bunch of extra "flavor" dialogue options? Yeah... no. "Relate to a different texture" then, because this is what it gives for 99% of the time? Does not compute.

Littaly said:
Also, I found it interesting that the survey brought up physical limitations, but didn't seem to ask if I had any..
Same with sexual orientation, I guess only gender identity and "racial background" is deemed important enough, I wonder why ;)

As for socio-economic background, I find it funny that it seems to stand for "racial" label from the beginning, given how nobody even asked what part of the world are we from. Did I miss "Murica survey" disclaimer somewhere? :)

-----

No idea what useful 20 and 21 can bring in their current form. I don't feel adequately represented - but for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with the ones survey is focusing on. I wouldn't even feel represented using that PoV, because:

a."character creation games" - it's mostly a texture with some tiny additions that rarely affect anything outside of minigames.
b."protagonist set in stone" - mostly unimportant, character traits & morality etc take precedence.

21 is even emptier without clarification. I believe developers are doing enough. More than enough actually. Not because of some great results, but because it's hardly their job in the first place. There's another group that should do far more - customers. "How much more"? How about supporting indie-like studios for years and bringing them to AAA level with a pile of money? You know, the same thing that was done a while ago to many current AAA studios - by a certain demographic that *could* fund unimpressive infancy period and the one that *could* wait rather than latch on established franchises.

kaocrat

Mar 22, 2009
Not a well though-out survey. Filled it anyway. The "genres" category needs to be much much clearer. No "Adventure" category. Unclear on the difference between "Action" vs "Arcade". No Platforming category? No flight category? Seems like a "horror" or "survival/horror" category would make sense, too, although I guess you can file those under "narrative" maybe. It's also not clear whether "Shooter" refers to something like Doom, Gradius, Binding of Isaac, or all three. I probably play Minecraft more than any other game and I have no idea which genre it would go into. RPG sandbox I guess?

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
kaocrat said:
Not a well though-out survey. Filled it anyway. The "genres" category needs to be much much clearer. No "Adventure" category. Unclear on the difference between "Action" vs "Arcade". No Platforming category? No flight category? Seems like a "horror" or "survival/horror" category would make sense, too, although I guess you can file those under "narrative" maybe. It's also not clear whether "Shooter" refers to something like Doom, Gradius, Binding of Isaac, or all three. I probably play Minecraft more than any other game and I have no idea which genre it would go into. RPG sandbox I guess?
This.

I know that you can put three gamers in a room and wait for two eternities until they agree on how to properly divide genres, but with so much stuff either missed or given unclear names this survey feels like created in a hurry. As if there was an urgent need to "prove" something.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
roseofbattle said:
Ah. Thanks. I suppose I should look into nonbinary gender identity to prevent further confusion. I have a firmer grasp on sexual orientation at least.

kaocrat

Mar 22, 2009
Karadalis said:
Hoplon said:
Karadalis said:
Hoplon said:
what was weirdest about this is after the "it would be too much work" they then released videos about the making of saying it would be super easy and they in fact already have all the animations etc they would need.
Colored characters for example? I do not think there where that many people of color in france during the french revolution and the knights templar (wich i think are still the main baddies) would simply hunt down any person of color once they find out that the top assasin is a black guy.. cause hey... thats the simplest and easiest solution and an obvious identifier.
There were probably more people of color than you think. France is close to Africa, plus there were French colonies in Haiti and other predominantly black regions, which means there would have been some migration back and forth. It's true that a black character would have more trouble keeping a low profile, but this could make the story more interesting. Or the developers could just ignore this factor - after all, in most of the Assassin's Creed games, the protagonist is dressed in loud, garish outfits which are completely anachronistic and would have stuck out like a sore thumb, but we're still supposed to suspend our disbelief and just accept that they are able to blend into crowds and everything.

danielcofour

May 6, 2014
There are a lot of problems with this survey, half the types of games I play are missing, some questions don't make sense, the numbers on the agree/disagree scale go from 1-6, meaning there is no middle, i.e. "indifferent" option. There are no clear definitions presented, as it should be in a proper survey, the respondent is free to use his/her own definitions, which muddies the results.

Plus it's a web-based survey, meaning it's not a controlled one(although it if the results are pleasing to some, it will probably be touted as if the Psychology Institute made it), and is not in any way indicative of people in general, it's merely indicative of the people generally interested in these discussions.

Then there is the greatest issue with it, that there is no nuance in it. All the questions ask if the respondent agrees with a particular bias or not, and all of them lack nuance in disagreement.

Oh, but why do I even bother. It will be touted as a scientific survey by whichever bias the results agree with anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Jennifer Allaway invites game players and game developers to respond to a survey about diversity in video games.

In June, players learned there would be no female assassins in the co-op mode of Assassin's Creed: Unity because of the extra work. Many criticized Ubisoft choosing not to have playable female characters in Unity, creating a #womenaretoohardtoanimate hashtag. Student researcher Jennifer Allaway is examining the relationship between players' desires for diversity and game developers' understanding of that desire, among many other topics, for a GDC 2015 talk.

Allaway is using this situation as a case study for disparities among game developer expectations and player desires. The study comprises two surveys. One survey is specifically designed for players who are not in the games industry and asks consumers for their opinions on diversity in the games themselves, whether players feel represented in games, whether a discussion about diversity is important, and whether game developers are doing enough for diversity.

If you are a consumer and would like to participate in Allaway's research, fill out the player survey here.
*chuckles*
So I guess the newest games journalist guidelines includes an automatic Find-Replace of 'gamer' -> 'player'.

That must have been some damn good kool-aid Ms. Leigh made.
What a difference one month makes.

Captcha: "We go forwards"
How unintentionally charming.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
FFMaster said:
The questions are kind leading in this survey , i mean one of the questions "I will buy games that support diverse character over games that do not, provided the quality of the games and other factors are equal. " Doesn't have a answer that is applicable.
I gave that one a "1", be I very absolutely do not buy games with "diverse" characters over those that do not, because it is not a factor in my choice of purchase. At. All.

FFMaster said:
As the answer to that for me is "if the game is good sure, but its not a factor in my decision on the whole" so i guess I put strongly disagree. But i know that marking it as strongly disagree will likely be seen as "omg this person is dirty sexist who doesn't want women in gamez" by some of the people that read the results.
I get that it's meant to be a leading question, to make you not want to give it a "1" even if you don't consider it a factor at all, because it's phrased to make you feel like you are admitting to being a racist or sexist and actively not buying games with those options. But that isn't what the question asks, however it will be how the question is interpreted because there's very likely an intended narrative that this survey is being made to support so the results (whatever they might be) need to be able to be phrased to support that narrative no matter what.

Like certain surveys on domestic violence that showed that only men do it to only women, by only asking women questions about victimhood and only asking men questions about perpetration.

weirdee said:
Yep. Summed up as "you're not asking the right kinds of questions" and "you can't just insert 'diversity' into a game like it's a new kind of texture mapping or force feedback".

That being said, if it doesn't matter whose face the character wears when they do human things, why can't it be a different face?
You make it sound like the woman who made the survey wrote the questions such that she can spin any results into the narrative she desires or something. Who wants to bet she went 1-6 instead of 1-5, so that she can count 3s and 4s as "agree" (4-6) or "disagree" (1-3), and she'll present the results solely in terms of those two categories. she'll literally exclude the middle.

My personal position is that whoever is creating the game should be able to create it with whatever characters and whatever narrative they desire, and it's fundamentally wrong to try to shame them for telling the stories they want to tell with the characters they want to tell them with. It's an entirely different thing for it to have been executed poorly, or for someone to subjectively not like certain narratives.

For a movie analogy, it's entirely possible for a horror movie to be well written and interesting, but for the actual movie-making to have been done poorly (cinematography, set design, costuming, actor performance, that sort of thing) just like it's possible to have an utterly generic horror movie that does all of those things fantastically. Hell, I'm sure Bob "Subhuman. Vermin." Chipman could name examples of both cases offhand. Arguing that a given horror movie was poorly made, or that you personally aren't fond of horror is one thing. Arguing that you are wrong, it's bad, and you should feel ashamed for making or liking horror movies at all, because instead we need more rom-coms is something entirely different.

AlouetteSK

Sep 4, 2014
Did the survey. The questions need work. Some felt like they were leading. Some felt shallow. Needs to explain if diverse meant the character was essentially the same as all the current brand of protagonist with just a reskin or if they meant more character depth.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Being honest in such a survey is actually quite eye-opening.

I never realised (m/m here) that I would actually prefer to play someone of my own gender - but basically couldn't give a tinkers toss about everything else. I've never even thought of it before. Not that I mind playing, say Lara Croft in the latest game, but I prefer when I can relate (ie. the more the better) to the character I'm playing. I'm guessing this comes from my strong affiliation with RPGs were I like to try and reflect, either myself or someone I know, onto whatever character I'm playing.

Very interesting to fill out and really *think* about the answers I'm giving. I'll be very interested to see the results of the survey.

Although of course (ya know this being the internet an all) nothing that such a survey could produce can really be called "definitive". Will still be interesting none the less.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
J Tyran said:
In hundreds of short clips and videos there where almost no African or Asian Shepards, 99% of them where white. All that diversity in player choices apart from ethnicity even though the options are there, it really got me thinking and wondering what was going on. I don't have any answer apart from the obvious, not many people are really bothered or willing. The real question, "why?" isn't so obvious.
I think the case of shepards would be a bit biased to look at. a much better case would be a character in Saints Row. This is because there already were two previuos games in Mass Effect universe that featured the SAME protagonist, and in both cases it was a white male, thus people who want to continue that storyline is likely to pick same features to cintinue with. i know i would. Saints Row is a much better example due to the protagonist not being already established in a singular way in previuos games. Alas, i got no data for what people pick in, say, Saints Row other than i know that Jim Sterling plays his Jimquisition character.

JimmyFury

Apr 19, 2011
The biggest flaw I found in the survey was that it never actually asked for my sexuality?
Me being gay is going to be a pretty important factor when it later asks how I feel about playing avatars with a different sexuality to my own or whether or not i feel represented in games. I basically had to answer these questions as a straight person who really likes gay people which seems like a really huge oversight for a survey about diversity...

BrandonSP

Sep 19, 2014
I filled out the survey. I too was confused by the "different physical limitations". I presume they meant physically disabled characters, but if anything I think most gamers, myself included, would prefer to play characters with LESS physical limitations than themselves.

That said, despite being a white male myself, I like to play as a black female character in any game that allows customization of character appearance. I also prefer to play as African or other non-European nations in strategy games like Civilization, Total War, or Age of Empires. Honestly those have the special appeal of the "exotic" (for lack of a less potentially offensive word) that I don't see with the standard lily-white European fare, and then there's the social justice angle. So yeah, I'm all for greater racial and gender diversity in games.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
It will be interesting but the fact that it is all numbers without explanations makes me worry about interpretation.

For example, are they going to tally that "I believe gaming caters to my needs" with the questions that state I am a white, straight male, (of course it caters to his needs), or with the questions that relate to me not caring about race, gender and so forth?