Paste?s Top 50 FPS of All Time

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd favor more variety instead of so many repeats within the same franchise (surely not all 3 BioShocks deserve a spot) but it's a pretty good list overall. Doom, Quake, CoD, Half-Life, Portal, Goldeneye, TimeSplitters, System Shock, BioShock, Borderlands...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
An FPS related thread not made by B-Cell? Interesting.

And yeah some of these games have sequels that are better than them in everyway.

Why Unreal Tournament when U2K4 is superior in everyway?

Same goes arguably for Black Ops over Modern Warfare.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Eh, I can't take these 'I'm a real gamer, see I made the first Doom game the best FPS EVAR!' lists seriously.
Go back and play the original Doom. Its very clunky, very obtuse, the jumping is ass, and the soundtrack was terrible. Its like saying Pong is the best multiplayer game of all time, simply because it was the first.

Bioshock is better than the original Doom in every way. As is Doom 2016. Duke Nukem, Hexen, Bioshock Infinite, etc...all better. Hell most of that list is better than the Original Doom. I'd have put it at either 49 or 50

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, everyone's entitled to my opinion, so in regards to the entries I've played:

46: Star Wars: Battlefront II (always saw this as being more of a TPS. Anyway, this was fun, but, well, just fun. I get everyone hates EA's Battlefront games, but I never thought the original games were that special either.)

36: TimeSplitters II (no idea if this holds up, but an absolute blast back in the day)

31: Call of Duty (played about 5 minutes of the campaign in an Internet cafe years and years ago, so...yay?)

30: Perfect Dark (I think GoldenEye is superior (least in singleplayer), but pretty good game)

29: Medal of Honour: Frontline (best MoH game)

28: Battlefield 1942 (yep, pretty much)

27: Doom II (no. Just no. Heck, even Doom 2016 is better than this)

21: Fallout 3 (never played much of this, saw it as more of an RPG with shooter elements than an FPS in its own right. Anyway, not my thing.)

16: Metroid Prime (see above)

15: Counter-Strike (I get why it's here, but I've never been into Counter-Strike. Maybe it's because I suck at it.)

13: Half-Life 2 (overrated! Decent, and a net positive, but not the masterpiece people make it out to be)

12: Halo 2 (took us this long for a Halo entry? Well, not as fond of Halo 2 as other Halo entries, but I get why it's here, given the jump in multiplayer it had)

9: GoldenEye 007 (surprised it's this high, but hey, can't complain)

7: Halo: Combat Evolved (#1 FPS of all time)

5: BioShock (not the #1 FPS, but still a damn good game. However, since when were audio diaries a negative narrative trend?)

1: Doom (not my #1 FPS either, but I get why it's here. I think it's held up reasonably well)

So, 16/50. Um, yay?

Also, bad list missed the following games:

-Halo 5: Guardians
-Doom 3
-Killzone 2
-Halo 3
-Halo: Reach
-Battlefield 2

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Well, everyone's entitled to my opinion, so in regards to the entries I've played:

46: Star Wars: Battlefront II (always saw this as being more of a TPS. Anyway, this was fun, but, well, just fun. I get everyone hates EA's Battlefront games, but I never thought the original games were that special either.)

36: TimeSplitters II (no idea if this holds up, but an absolute blast back in the day)

31: Call of Duty (played about 5 minutes of the campaign in an Internet cafe years and years ago, so...yay?)

30: Perfect Dark (I think GoldenEye is superior (least in singleplayer), but pretty good game)

21: Fallout 3 (never played much of this, saw it as more of an RPG with shooter elements than an FPS in its own right. Anyway, not my thing.)

15: Counter-Strike (I get why it's here, but I've never been into Counter-Strike. Maybe it's because I suck at it.)

13: Half-Life 2 (overrated! Decent, and a net positive, but not the masterpiece people make it out to be)

12: Halo 2 (took us this long for a Halo entry? Well, not as fond of Halo 2 as other Halo entries, but I get why it's here, given the jump in multiplayer it had)

5: BioShock (not the #1 FPS, but still a damn good game. However, since when were audio diaries a negative narrative trend?)

1: Doom (not my #1 FPS either, but I get why it's here. I think it's held up reasonably well)

So, 16/50. Um, yay?

-Doom 3
-Killzone 2
-Halo 3
-Battlefield 2
Star Wars: Battlefront 2 original wasn't all the special for me either, I used to love it, but it hasn't aged well compared to say Republic Commando

I am starting to think Timesplitters 2 is the most overrated game ever.

Call of Duty 1 had the best orchestral music score ever.

Sorry man, Perfect Dark was better in everyway than Goldeneye 64.

Why is Frontline better than Allied Assualt?

1942 is good but also really dated. I hope the next one is a WW2 Battlefield.

What's your beef with Doom 2?

Fallout 3 is still inferior to the older games

Metroid Prime 4 better be as good as 1 and 2.

Counter Strike is one of the first mainstream FPS that is more in a realistic setting.

Half-Life 2. Still think 1 was better.

Halo 2, Best Halo Multiplayer ever.

Goldeneye 64, I just wish a new shooter replicates its campaign better.

Halo 1 is now officially dated to me.

Bioshock 1, the one thing that ruins the game for me is the shooting feels like shit.

Doom 1 is Doom 1.

And your list of missing games:

I never thought I see anyone liking Doom 3 at all here.

Killzone 2.......Its better than Resisitance 2 at least and better guns.

Halo 3 had the best campaign in terms of gameplay. More sandboxy than 1 and 2.

Halo: Reach was wasted opportunity.

Never played Halo 5 but gameplay wise its seems to be a much more better and polished Halo 4.

Battlefield 2 is one of those games I feel I completely missed out due to not having a good PC and internet service at the time.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Far Cry 2 is number 4? That's an . . interesting choice.

Silentpony said:
Go back and play the original Doom. Its very clunky, very obtuse, the jumping is ass, and the soundtrack was terrible.
I don't know why you'd say it's obtuse. It's all quite intuitive. You just run around and shoot monsters. And I'd say it's still fun to play. I don't know if I'd give it the number 1 spot, but I'd probably put it on the list somewhere. It's better than Bioshock Infinite.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What a generic list. Just select 50 FPS classics and put them in a random order, but make sure the first 10 games are the ones that are most celebrated on various gaming boards. All of these top# lists are useless.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
What a generic list. Just select 50 FPS classics and put them in a random order, but make sure the first 10 games are the ones that are most celebrated on various gaming boards. All of these top# lists are useless.
Eh your just upset Deus Ex isn't No.1 on the list ;)

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
To be fair, games (and movies and other media) generally become classics because they're the top of their genres; that's kind of why they're remembered as classics instead of relegated to the dustbin.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The original Doom is not that good. Most influential is not the same thing as best.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Eh your just upset Deus Ex isn't No.1 on the list ;)
No. I saw that Portal and Portal 2 were on the list. They're not shooters, they're simply first person puzzles.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know who these guy's are, but I question their credibility. I mean Doom was a ground breaking game for it's time and a landmark in gaming history, but it sure as hell hasn't aged well and there have been many FPSs that have long since surpassed it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
50?? I can hardly remember the last 3 I played through.

Oh, wait...it's one of those "please every possible classic nostalgia boner" lists again. Nevermind!

[small]*peeks slyly to look for perfect dark*[/small]

bah. Whatever. Not enough validation

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
BEST? OF ALL TIME?
I need to check this out.
11. Wolfenstein 3D
9. Goldeneye 007
Yup, those games with terrible outdated controls sure are amazing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
I am starting to think Timesplitters 2 is the most overrated game ever.
:(

Sorry man, Perfect Dark was better in everyway than Goldeneye 64.
Disagree.

Perfect Dark surpasses GoldenEye in a no. of aspects, true - better presentation, better multiplayer, more varied mechanics (e.g. the secondary weapon functions), etc. However, Perfect Dark, as much as I like it, has two key problems for me. One of them is that a no. of its levels are just a drag to get through (e.g. the Canadian wilderness one, followed by the Pelagic levels). With GoldenEye, almost every level is a good one (except for Surface 2 - bleh). Also, its story. Now, its story is certainly presented better than GoldenEye, and more in-depth, but to get it you basically need to do a bunch of reading at the end of the story in the CI hub, that explains the skedar's motivations and the history of the maians. Almost none of this is conveyed in the narrative itself. This isn't good storytelling, this is just reading. GoldenEye has a far more simple story, but it's far better integrated.

Why is Frontline better than Allied Assualt?
-Better presentation (compare the two Normandy levels)

-Better story (not that Frontline is some masterpiece, but all of its missions bar Normandy follow a single narrative, whereas Frontline has far less interconnectivity)

-Better music (not that Allied Assault is a slouch in this, but I find the Frontline music to be far more memorable)

-Generally more enjoyable (Frontline has a bit more variety in its missions, and is bereft of the BS Sniper Alley/Ardennes levels of Allied Assault)

I generally like Allied Assault, but do find it overrated when compared to other entries in the series (e.g. Frontline and Pacific Assault)

1942 is good but also really dated. I hope the next one is a WW2 Battlefield.
Because that's what the world needs, another WWII game. :(

On the other hand, if BF went back to WWII, does that mean CoD would tackle WWI? 0_0

What's your beef with Doom 2?
Every Doom game I've played, with the exception of Doom 2, has been somewhat unique in the context of its series. Doom 1/3/2016 all do different things. Doom 2 is simply more of the same of Doom 1. It does add some monsters and weapons, but that isn't enough to defeat the feeling of monotomy.

Also, I find that Doom 1 is presented better. Now, Doom 1 is hardly a masterpiece of storytelling, but there's at least something interesting going on in its settings. We start with Phobos (a purely human environment), go to Deimos (where Hell is starting to overtake the base), and then Hell itself. It's a nice case of visual storytelling. Doom 2 lacks any of this, and all of its bridging story is told via text.

Doom 2 isn't bad, but it's easily my least favorite installment of the series.

Halo 2, Best Halo Multiplayer ever.
Cough*Halo 3*Cough

Goldeneye 64, I just wish a new shooter replicates its campaign better.
Didn't they try that and fail?

Halo 1 is now officially dated to me.
Some of its mechanics, but the PC multiplayer was a blast. Also, of the original games, there isn't a single dud level in its singleplayer, which is more than I can say for H2 or H3.

Bioshock 1, the one thing that ruins the game for me is the shooting feels like shit.
The shooting isn't that good, but it does have a charm of its own. It makes every encounter potentially lethal, given how fast the splicers move and/or how much damage they can take.

I never thought I see anyone liking Doom 3 at all here.
You obviously don't know me that well - Doom 3's always been my favorite Doom game. Gets a spot on my top ten FPS list.

Halo 3 had the best campaign in terms of gameplay. More sandboxy than 1 and 2.
It's sandboxy on only a few select levels.

I certainly enjoy Halo 3's gameplay, both campaign and multiplayer, but on those fronts it's surpassed by H1 and Reach.

Halo: Reach was wasted opportunity.
Um, how?

Never played Halo 5 but gameplay wise its seems to be a much more better and polished Halo 4.
It is.

Course, most games in the series are better than Halo 4, so go figure.

Battlefield 2 is one of those games I feel I completely missed out due to not having a good PC and internet service at the time.
You did. 1942 was fun, but B2 was just that more refined.

Unfortunately the servers are down, so good luck getting multiplayer.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Hawki said:

So, 16/50. Um, yay?

-Doom 3
-Killzone 2
-Halo 3
-Battlefield 2
I find it very interesting that you are a big Halo fan and also gave Killzone 2 props. I agree the latter deserves a nod for presentation, physics, and its generally visceral nature. Before Killzone 2 the closest thing to its style was Black, which also deserves a spot.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Hawki said:
Fallout 3 was a fucking terrible shooter. It was a middling RPG. It did neither well, but it was a much better RPG than a shooter. It's seriously close to being unplayable as a shooter. The only reason anyone beat that game was V.A.T.S., which defeated the point of making it a shooter at all. Fun game, paved the way for the much better New Vegas, but ultimately, the only thing it got right was the atmosphere.

OP: Why is Battlefield 3 (I.E. the worst Battlefield game) on the list but Bad Company 2 isn't? Bad Company 2 is obviously superior in all ways that matter. Plus, you know, it ran day one and PC players didn't have to fuck with Battlelog.

As much as I love Half-Life 2, it really wasn't that great a shooter. Like Battlefront 2, I think it gets a free pass because of nostalgia and fanboyism. Great game, technically well executed, but an average shooter. When I want to play an FPS, it's not my first pick.

I'm also not convinced that Metro 2033 was that good. The Redux was and fixed most of the glaring mechanical problems, but the original game was broken in more ways that one. I think, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (though not as good), the Metro series is well liked mostly because it was novel.

Speaking of novel, I really think that Planetside 2 should be on the list. Yes, it's not perfect and arguably pay-to-win, but I've never played a game like it before or since. I have a lot of fond memories of really fantastically epic battles.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Far Cry 2?
In the top 5 of ANYONE'S list?

Fuck yes!

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who thought it was a great game...
Sure, the story is meh, but the gunplay+environment was what made the game!

As for my opinions on the list... I don't think Halo 1+2 together deserved to be that high... (Then again, I never got the whole "Halo" thing)

Happy to see the Metro games there too. STALKER got it's standard mention as "honourable"
Don't know how Left 4 Dead 1 is so high, but L4D2 isn't... Since they patched all the L4D maps into L4D2...

Since it was mostly a Nostalgia dump I kinda hoped to see RoTT... As that was my personal favourite from the 90's game bin...

Also; WHERE IS PAINKILLER!?!
That's it, I'm done...