Patent Shows Kinect Recognizing Sign Language

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Patent Shows Kinect Recognizing Sign Language

Kinect may someday enable those that can't speak to communicate through Xbox Live.

Microsoft's patent [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281309497&sr=8-2] filed by Microsoft for for the system, which alleges that Kinect may recognize sign language someday.

The patent generally covers "gesture keyboarding," meaning that Kinect users could input the information that they normally would through a keyboard using the body's movements. However, a section mentions that these gestures could include American Sign Language and not just an air keyboard.

For example, one line in the patent says that a Kinect user gesturing for "the character 'a' in American Sign Language... may be interpreted as if the user were pressing the 'a' key on a keyboard." The system would also interpret motions for full words, as a later sentence reads that the ASL gesture for "cat" would input the word "cat." The entirety of ASL would be included, with the patent saying: "The gesture may be a single letter or number, or a word or even a full expression or phrase, as is allowed by the language."

Predictive motioning is also mentioned, as users that sign "V-i-k-i-n-f" would have their input presumptively changed to "V-i-k-i-n-g." Though you might think that this is all about helping the disabled communicate, it's not. The patent says that when "the user kills another user's character, that victorious, though speechless, user would be able to tell the other user that he had been 'PWNED.'" Well, that's pretty important, now isn't it.

This is all patent talk, and I haven't heard anything about Kinect being able to recognize sign language as it is, so it's either just part of the patent or a future feature that may not be included at launch. If Kinect is able to recognize detailed gestures, maybe we'll see that hand-puppet brawler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97692-Cancelled-Natal-Game-Was-Hand-Puppet-Brawler] someday.

Via: SlashGear [http://gorumors.com/microsoft-kinect-technology/2754059]

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
it wont be in kinect. its hard enough recognizing audible commands for a computer as it is and they want to add sign language? the idiots.
They are both really different. <.<

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
This really doesn't mean they have any plans to recognize sign language any time soon, it just means they established blanket patents that included things that may someday be developed just to be safe.

Basically it's microsoft saying "We aren't going to develop it, but if someone else later does than we get to assert ownership of the idea and bleed them for money."

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
"the user kills another user's character, that victorious, though speechless, user would be able to tell the other user that he had been 'PWNED.'"
Oh my God..... can't breathe...... laughing too hard......

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
it wont be in kinect. its hard enough recognizing audible commands for a computer as it is and they want to add sign language? the idiots.
And you know this, how? Seems a bit rash to suddenly dismiss this at a moments notice. Anyway, it appears to be quite a charitable thing to do, considering implementing sign language within Kinect. I certainly wouldn't call anyone an idiot because of it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
This actually sounds pretty cool. One of the best bits of news about Kinect I've heard in a long time.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
One of the few silver linings of being deaf is that you don't have to hear potty-mouthed children on XBox Live. Now Microsoft wants to take away that silver lining? The bastards.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
This actually sounds pretty cool. One of the best bits of news about Kinect I've heard in a long time.
Kinect is just bound to be one of those "looks good on paper" but badly executed... Well, least I still have Halo Reach to look forward too.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
No matter how awesome it is, it cannot perform oral sex and does not deserve $150. I'm not saying I don't want one - I'm just saying it's too much.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
I believe that is largely down to variation in accents and pronunciation, which I assume is absent in a single sign language such as ?American Sign Language?.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Littlee300 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
They are both really different. <.<
But still it will takes ages for getting it right. And I doubt they'll manage to do it perfectly at least for the next 10 years.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
uh huh, look at how long valve is taking with sign language just for a short game. they want to use this for a console? i like to see them try and fail.
I think the difference is that Valve are using sign language as an excuse for not getting off their arses and making the game they promised years ago, while this is a sign of something that Microsoft "wouldn't mind trying at some point in the future, maybe."

Anyway, it looks good. Anything to make gaming more accessible. Fun fact, sign language for "pwned" is actually slapping yourself repeatedly in the face.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
P-W-N-E-D

let's see (googles sign language letters)...okay got it sweet hahaha this is awesome

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
uh huh, look at how long valve is taking with sign language just for a short game. they want to use this for a console? i like to see them try and fail.
Valve doesn't have multi-billion dollar backing, or a legion of Comp Sci doctors.

Also, I really hate when someone says that would like to see someone fail at trying to do something positive. That just comes off as really dick-ish.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
The patent says that when "the user kills another user's character, that victorious,
though speechless, user would be able to tell the other user that he had been 'PWNED.'"
From the other end, will it be able to tell the "pwning player" that the "pwned player" has given him the middle finger or any other obscene gesture?