Patent Troll Ready to Sue World of Warcraft, Second Life

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Patent Troll Ready to Sue World of Warcraft, Second Life

Second Life [http://www.worlds.com], for infringing on what he claims is his company's patented intellectual property: Scalable virtual worlds with thousands of users.

Worlds.com claims to hold a patent for the idea of virtual worlds that dates back to 1995 and that could quite literally apply to every 3-D online world currently in existence. In fact, Worlds.com has already taken one MMOG heavyweight to court: Korea-based violated 12 patents [http://www.ncsoft.com/] relating to its controllers held by a small Texas company called Anascape.

"Being a foreign defendant in Texas is not a pleasant thing," a lawyer familiar with the NCsoft case said. "The juries are, many would say, biased towards American plaintiffs and have a propensity to offer high damages. Some defendants might view them as an unfriendly jury and it might make the defendant more likely to settle." That could be bad news for companies like Linden Lab [http://www.blizzard.com], which Kidrin says he is "absolutely" going to sue if his suit against NCsoft is successful.

Worlds.com apparently came into possession of the patents by way of General Patent Corporation [http://www.starbrightworld.org/] reportedly encouraged Worlds.com management to "aggressively pursue" licensing arrangements with MMOG companies.

Kidrin says he doesn't want to put anyone out of business, he's simply after proper licensing fees for what he feels is rightfully his intellectual property. Given the amounts of money involved in the MMOG business, it's a safe bet he won't settle for token amounts.

via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/11/worldscom-ceo-if-we-beat-ncsoft-in-court-blizzards-next/]

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
This is why I feel the whole concept of intellectual property rights needs to be overhauled.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
if they had the rights since 1995 , then why are they now starting a lawsuit?

Ace of Hearts

Mar 12, 2009
This can go ahead and be filed along with the "crazys". The patent is to protect your intellectual property, sure, but let's be frank. Unless WoW and Second life accually stole their server, or constructed it with the very program that was being pattened, they don't owe anyone anything. Their work, their profit.

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
Then there will have to be a court battle.... His lawyers vs Blizzards army of gentically made Half shark, half demon lawyers trained from birth to practice law and perform the occasional assassin ritual.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
KILL KILL MURDER KILL
Now that's out of my system, he's at it AGAIN?! Can't wait for the one BS case to process, he has to go all chaffrocket on everyone at once?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
This is why I feel the whole concept of intellectual property rights needs to be overhauled.
Totally agreed. This is the like the dumbest concept ever. It's not like the first person to think of an original idea, will be the first to implement it.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
drop2zero said:
Why would he wait this long to start suing? 3D MMOs have been around for a long time now.
True, but it's only since the advent of Ultima online, Everquest, World of Warcraft etc. that they've become both massively successful and more importantly massive money makers. It's not surprising some greedy soul out there wants a piece of that pie. I hope they get nothing!

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
? This dumb ass dose relies if they win and the law suits kills WoW that million of nerds would then turn there hate and the time they used to spin on the games towards to ruing there lives.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Blizzard and Linden Lab aren't foreign though, so I don't see what the paragraph about being a foreign defendant has to do with them. NCsoft, yes, but not them. Anyways, this entire case is ridiculous. If they violated something more specific, or ripped off one of your games, then sure you might have something there, but you can't own an entire genre. This is like if the Pitfall makers sued all games with jumping in them.

twilinova07

Nov 26, 2008
i would think this was stupidly funny... until i remember that the court really did beat nintendo out of some cash.

which means its going to suck to be a massive multiplayer online when this stuff begins.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
By this logic the Gene Roddenberry estate should sue Worlds.Com for infringing on the patent because the "scalable virtual world" is very similar to a holodeck.

Please, when I first heard about these wingnuts suing NCSoft I did some research into their company and their products. From the perspective of someone that actually has some, well, perspective in the gaming industry Worlds.com doesn't have any ground to stand on.

Unless they can provide proof of "previous art" (and I doubt they can provide anything that can substantiate a claim that Blizzard/NCSoft/whomever is ripping them off) Worlds.com simply doesn't have any ground to stand on here. Hopefully whatever jury they end up in front of will realize this.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
This is just such a wonderful way to help out multiple businesses during economic times of crisis.
^
|
|
|
Sarcasm.

greenboy2004

Feb 2, 2009
I think what you also have to keep in mind as has been stated that MMO's have been around for a good while now. If you'll recall Everquest was the king of MMO's in the 90's why was nothing done at that time this is just a terrible case of spoiled grapes

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
What a royal douche, I'm mean people like this leave me speechless. He's not entitled to jack. Honestly I wouldn't even give this guy the time of day, so you had a vague idea about online games. Big freakin deal, there's no words for the frustration people like him cause me.

I hope blizzard rallies its addicts and protests his ass. Hehe, LFG 6 million for Protest.

EDIT: I took a look at the original article again and noticed this little bit
"Thom told us he intends to sue anyone who refuses to enter into licensing negotiations "

The guy's a bully, An f'ing bully. Holy crap how anyone can take this guy seriously is insane. I mean...it's just......GAHHHH!!! SKAAAAGGG!!! to fill you in "skag" is the word I use when there's no suitable swears to describe anger, it is the swear to end all swears.

That's my intellectual property by the way, use it 20 years down the line in a movie and I'll sue you in Texas. /sarcasm

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
yeah these Frivolous Patent-Trolling Lawsuits are doing wonders for the economy I'm sure.

Also shouldn't Neal Stephenson be getting residuals because of the Virtual World he came up with in Snow Crash? ;)