Path of Exile on Consoles Being Considered

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Path of Exile on Consoles Being Considered

Grinding Gear Games is "definitely thinking about" a console port of the free-to-play hit Path of Exile.

Read Full Article

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
This game looks very familiar. If I was one of the creators of Diablo I'd probably be thinking about a lawsuit right now.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
This game looks very familiar. If I was one of the creators of Diablo I'd probably be thinking about a lawsuit right now.
You are joking, right? The superficial similarities are shared by a gigantic number of ARPGs. Are you saying they should go sue everyone who has ever made an ARPG inspired by the original Diablo or Diablo II?
The actual gameplay has quite a few differences. It is even more different than the Diablo series in its current incarnation.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
You are joking, right? The superficial similarities are shared by a gigantic number of ARPGs. Are you saying they should go sue everyone who has ever made an ARPG inspired by the original Diablo or Diablo II?
The actual gameplay has quite a few differences. It is even more different than the Diablo series in its current incarnation.
I can hardly be joking if I've never played it, and wouldn't play it because it's obviously a rip-off of Diablo. Say what you will but you can't deny the video looks very similar running around hacking down monsters in isometric real-time. But really, if they wanted so much to avoid such comparisons did they have to use the bowls of red and blue? Or is that just another taken-as-given aspect of Diablo-inspired ARPGs? (whatever an ARPG is...)

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I hope they do go to ps4/xbo. This game looks really good and I would be playing already if it weren't pc only. I have no doubt it would work well considering diablo and torchlight do.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
I can hardly be joking if I've never played it, and wouldn't play it because it's obviously a rip-off of Diablo. Say what you will but you can't deny the video looks very similar running around hacking down monsters in isometric real-time. But really, if they wanted so much to avoid such comparisons did they have to use the bowls of red and blue? Or is that just another taken-as-given aspect of Diablo-inspired ARPGs? (whatever an ARPG is...)

First of all, don't judge a game you've never even played, this is Ebert level of nonsense.
Second, the whole games industry is based on ripping off and iterating on ideas.
If all you play are original games then your whole library must consist of games made in the 80's and earlier.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
toms said:
First of all, don't judge a game you've never even played, this is Ebert level of nonsense.
Second, the whole games industry is based on ripping off and iterating on ideas.
If all you play are original games then your whole library must consist of games made in the 80's and earlier.
I don't even think you can say that. A large amount of the original computer games were biased off of tabletop RPGs so even the game of the 80s were "ripoffs".
(whatever an ARPG is...)
ARPG is Action Role Playing Game. Essentially an RPG fought in real time without the ability to pause. Usually defined by random or semi-random maps and "item grind" the killing of monsters for loot to equip your character. It's a specific subgenre of the larger RPG genre.

Fun fact the Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 team Blizzard North were fired in 2005. They went on to make Torchlight 1 and 2. Diablo 3 was made by Jay Wilson and the WOW team of Blizzard.

Also, In my opinion, your lack of knowledge on the topic of ARPGs and your initial suggestion of a lawsuit makes you sound like an immature child and a moron.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
I actually enjoyed Diablo3 on my PS3 [in retrospect i should have gone 360] and i did have a blast playing the Monk.
It did play alot like a beatem up/hack&slash instead of the click & cooldown style which ive never been a fan of.

While were on the subject can anyone recommend similar games on Consoles specifically? [Not the marvel/dc ones]

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
it's made by some of the guys who made diablo 2 so i would think it would look like it.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
obviously a rip-off of Diablo. Say what you will but you can't deny the video looks very similar running around hacking down monsters in isometric real-time.
Games in the same genre are in the same genre? My god, how could this possibly have happened? Next you'll be telling me that there's more than one game where you shoot people from a first person perspective.

As for the article, I'm not sure how the game could really work on consoles. But then, I'm not sure how Diablo 3 works with a controller either, and while the skill system and economy are very different, the actual controls aren't any more complicated.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
weirdo8977 said:
it's made by some of the guys who made diablo 2 so i would think it would look like it.
It's a damn sight more "Diablo" than Diablo 3 was in tone and setting.
I'd be defending PoE it more if it wasn't yet another online-only MMO-like.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
weirdo8977 said:
It's a damn sight more "Diablo" than Diablo 3 was in tone and setting.
I'd be defending PoE it more if it wasn't yet another online-only MMO-like.
I don't know if I'd call it MMO-like. Yes you need to be online, but outside of that, you can pretty much just play solo and singleplayer and never once have to deal with anyone. Everything is just instanced for yourself, after all. Desync has also gotten a lot better so unless your net is absolute trash, you shouldn't run into problems.
They were just trying to stop hacking, mostly. Which I can understand. I get your complaint though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
I don't know if I'd call it MMO-like. Yes you need to be online, but outside of that, you can pretty much just play solo and singleplayer and never once have to deal with anyone. Everything is just instanced for yourself, after all. Desync has also gotten a lot better so unless your net is absolute trash, you shouldn't run into problems.
They were just trying to stop hacking, mostly. Which I can understand. I get your complaint though.
Well, my justification for calling it "MMO-like" instead of an "MMO" is mostly the reasons you provided.
It's not a true MMO due to how the game is structured, but it uses the same kinds of systems most modern MMOs use.

But yeah, my internet has been especially awful as of late; which has pretty much ended my ability to play online-only games unless they have session-recovery (most don't). So, as much as I like PoE's gameplay, just like Diablo 3, it's the presentation that kills it for me.