PAX 2008: FarCry 2 Demo and Level Editor

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
PAX 2008: FarCry 2 Demo and Level Editor

Hocking didn't give us much information on the game's storyline in the short demo, and we didn't see a lot of enemy behavior. What he did show looked very good, though. He did note that due to the game's open environments players will have to manage combat very differently, using strategy and the environment to manage confrontations. This certainly seemed to be the case in the scenes he showed, where his presence tended to stir up plenty of very aggressive enemies.

Hocking concluded his presentation with a detailed tour of FarCry 2's console level editor, which will allow players to build their own environments on maps 512 meters square. In a matter of minutes he used the Xbox 360's editor to build a lifelike African savannah, convert it to a forest, add a road, create a small settlement, dig and fill a river, and then flood and drain the whole map.

Hocking demonstrated how FarCry 2's level editor procedurally updates the environment as players create and revise the landscape. Painting in jungle foliage, for example, automatically adds appropriate ambient sounds and other details, which then update if the player swaps in a new environment type. Drawing in roads and clearings relocates vegetation. Setting time of day and weather effects determines features such as wind speed, cloud cover, and ambient fog.

The editor worked completely in real-time, with the game engine running in the background as Hocking built the level. At several points he jumped immediately into first-person player mode, where he could explore, shoot, ignite, and otherwise test out the completely working level before jumping right back to editing. The quality of the environments was so high, and the ability to play them immediately in first person view was so dramatic, that Hocking's actions drew frequent cheers and applause from the audience. He ended the presentation by hang-gliding across the map from atop a mountain he created.

Despite all the editor's presets and procedurally generated content, most of the features we saw included all sorts of adjustable parameters, so it certainly seems like an enormous amount of creative control will remain in the hands of players. In addition, Hocking assured us that all of the single-player game's environments and items will be available for use within the editor. Unfortunately, he didn't provide any information on how maps will be shared and played between users.

FarCry 2 seems hugely ambitious. Its open-ended structure sounds fantastic, but it's a design approach that comes with all sorts of challenges. Ubisoft's previous take on the franchise, FarCry: Instincts, was certainly a solid game, but FarCry 2 is a huge leap forward in terms of game design. I can't wait to see whether Ubisoft pulls it off, because if they do it will make for one incredible game. Hocking didn't comment on its anticipated release date, but previous announcements have indicated FarCry 2 will ship for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 before the end of 2008.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Me buying this all depends on how solid a port to the PS3 it is. From the videos I've seen, screen tearing and frame rate drops seem absurdly common, and that's the only reason I haven't pre-order.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Why is this even called Far Cry? It isn't related to the previous game in any way, is it? : /

I'd say the industry is a little too sequel-horny : P