PAX 2008: Top Five Disappointments

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX 2008: Top Five Disappointments

On the other hand, sometimes you go in expecting a bit more than the game delivers. That doesn?t mean that the game in question is necessarily bad, per se ? but that it just doesn?t live up to what you hoped it would. These five games didn?t live up to the expectations I?d gone onto the PAX show floor with.

Read Full Article

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
With the exception of Fable, which I'm not following much, your impressions match what I've felt even before PAX. Champions and WAR just don't look like they will be enough to stand down the next WoW expansion. The Wii was a great low price tech demo destined to convince everyone who waited 8 years to buy a $199 PS2 that they could buy 2 consoles in as many years. A lesson I think the market was good and damned ready to learn, but the games are not there, especially for those of us who've watched nearly 30 years of Mario & Friends (I ate the CEREAL dammit) and are just sick to death of any game involving a plumber or a blond, green clad elf. GH:WT is basically a surrender flag wrapped in a bad interface, with an extra drum.

There's so much silver lining, one has to take time to notice the grey parts of the cloud. ;)

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Firstly, I liked the write up. Couldn't agree more on Fable, the game has a huge amount to offer more than combat so it was interesting to see that at PAX.

I have to disagree about WAR though. You said it yourself, you are a WoW Fanboy. This is not a bad thing. Because most people's first MMO was WoW, people will be hard pressed to look outside of the Blizzard forum spectrum. Also playing three levels you should have seen many things which you must have missed; cool looking armor from the get go with the option to dye. Titles, PvP at level 1 (and you dont get smote straight away).

I will agree with the color statement however. Coming from WoW for nearly 4 years the difference in colors is HUGE. But so is the graphics and fun in my mind. The Elven lands are a lot more colorfull but I can only assume you rolled Chaos (most newbies do) and that IS a very dark place. This is not the choice of the developer this is IP direction. I even think the Greenskin and Dwarf areas are much brighter too, I would say they match that of The Burning Steppes?

You give and take when you play games. Sometimes you need a better computer, sometimes you need to give up three years of work. Those that will buy the Lich King expansion do so because they dont want to give up on their hard work, or they think the PvP is good (and they probably play a Rogue or Warlock). That is my opinion and I am a WAR fanboy 8).

It is a shame also that they didnt show us the guild system over PAX. This is a whole other aspect that WAR will have over WoW but many playing WoW just wont spend enough time looking at WAR to see it, which is a shame.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I agree with you that those are some cool new things, but they weren't things I saw in the first three levels on the PAX show floor. I was a Witch Elf there, in the Beta I've been a High Elf Swordmaster, and the color scheme still applies - there's also a horrendously low draw distance that I'm hoping they'll raise before the game goes live.

The hardcore PvP crowd will flock to Warhammer anyway, and they'll put up with boring PvE for the RvR core. Where I think Mythic risks losing people are... well, the WoW players whose first MMO was Warcraft. They haven't played DAoC or EQ, and so they'll immediately make the comparison, and at first - before you get into the RvR - it's not a favorable one for WAR.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
CantFaketheFunk post=6.70956.709510 said:
I agree with you that those are some cool new things, but they weren't things I saw in the first three levels on the PAX show floor. I was a Witch Elf there, in the Beta I've been a High Elf Swordmaster, and the color scheme still applies - there's also a horrendously low draw distance that I'm hoping they'll raise before the game goes live.

The hardcore PvP crowd will flock to Warhammer anyway, and they'll put up with boring PvE for the RvR core. Where I think Mythic risks losing people are... well, the WoW players whose first MMO was Warcraft. They haven't played DAoC or EQ, and so they'll immediately make the comparison, and at first - before you get into the RvR - it's not a favorable one for WAR.
Exactly with you 100%.

Supposedly the draw distance issue is one of those 'Graphics Capped things' we will see. I do know you need a lot of memory to run this game well.

I think too that PvE is PvE and unless you jump straight into the scenarios, like the vets do, they will prefere WoW. Of course that is untill they see the PQs too.

It would be naive to say WAR will kill WoW. Nothing will kill WoW, not even if Blizzard abandons it. Paul says it best with his Beetles - Iron Maiden thing. It IS wholly a different game, but as humans we need to be able to box things.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I will go along with you on most points. The one I will agree with the most is the Wii dissapointment. I too was caught up in the hype of the motion control jazz, but I believe it was only a fee months ago where I looked at the wii, and noticed nothing great coming out, and the looooong list of crap casual/shaking games that are already out and not worth a penny. I expected better, and being as I am not a pikmin fan, I really have nothing to look forward to other than the wario platformer.

I do have to disagree with you on world tour. I have said it once, and I will say it a million times, both of these companies did not invent the genre of a drumgame/mic game. It was only just a matter of time to put the ideas together, and rock ban just happened to surface first with it. lo and Behold, it sold better than just a guitar, because it allows four players. Now, it would be stupid to have 4 people playing guitars in a game, thats probably why guitar hero alo decided to make the band motif. I still find the game play to be different, and so what if the song lists are the same, guitaring in RB and guitaring in GH are completely a different feeling. In a music genre, there isn't a whole lot you can do to stand out from other companies regardless, so these games are of course going to be similar.