PAX 2010: Rage Preview

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Sure it doesn't look too unique, but if it's good i won't really care. Grabbing this as soon as it comes out... why must that be a year!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
ChupathingyX said:
Not only does this game ''look'' like Fallout, but the ProjeEden Project idea is almost exactly the same as the Vault Project from the Fallout series. This game doesn't seem to do anything unique. And even if it does they're probably minor.
True, but if it gets the shooting mechanics right I will forgive it. VATS made Fallout 3 all but unplayable to me.

Also, if it does everything it claims to do and does them well, will it's lack of outright originality truly matter?
Yes but VATS was completely optional, there was never at any time a moment when you were forced to use it. But yes the shooting wasn't that great. Also I said Fallout, not Fallout 3, I'm speaking on behalf of the series, in the first two games there really wasn't anything wrong or broken with the shooting unless you don't like trn-based gameplay.

Also why does everyone keep thinking that Fallout 3's representation of things is the "true" one. Fallout 1 and 2 were very different, especially super mutants, in Fallout 1/2 super mutants were a lot different, much more smarter and stronger.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
I am definitely not over these types of games yet, so I look forward to it.

Whether it is for development reasons or not, I also think they are wise to have a decent gap between this being released and Fallout New Vegas being released.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Perhaps it's not original anymore, but come on, a whole bunch of us are going to go out and buy Fallout: New Vegas, which is just more Fallout. What's wrong with this being like a more shooter oriented Fallout with way better graphics?
imnotparanoid said:
Looks awsome, I hope its for 360.
It's coming out for PC, 360, PS3, and possibly even iPhone.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
My reaction to this when I first saw the trailer was exactly the same as everyone else, "Haven't I already played this before, twice?" But when I found out who was behind it, I decided to take a more wait-and-see approach before passing final judgement.

WhoaItsBrett

Jan 22, 2010
Nothing is really "unique."
Especially since whenever a new game comes out, people go out of their way to try and compare it to a different game.
Once someone says "this is gonna be unique." People try and find other games similar to it, just to prove them wrong.
Who cares if it is "unique." I just hope its fun, thats what makes me want to play a game.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
With the glut of FPS's on the market, it really takes something special to get me interested. Rage does indeed have great graphics, the gameplay looks fun (particularly the vehicle segments), and that's all well and good, but I'm not sold on the overall art direction and setting. The post-apocalypse, vast desert wasteland setting has never been a particularly great interest to me (and I did wholly dislike Fallout 3 and Borderlands) and it leaves the game filled with loads of brown-colored environments almost by it's very nature. Rage will still be a good game, perhaps a great one, but I'll probably not be picking it up.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
The front page pictures looks eerily similar to Resident Evil's Nemesis...
Heh, "HUUURRRR..."

While I haven't heard much about Rage, the gameplay alone looks solid. I'll probably give it a rent when it comes out.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
well, I always thought of Borderlands as Fallout Lite with Multiplayer; so this looks more to be a straight up Fallout clone.

Both are post apocalyptic survival games, filled with bandits, mutants, and bad guys - oh my. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but seriously, it's a year away. The only game I want to know about that far in advance is Diablo III.

EDIT: and yes, that includes Duke Nukem Forever. That white rabbit has been running around for so long that until I hear it's gone gold, I won't credit any arrival dates.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ya the reason they need a new IP is because they ran the others into the ground.

Hopefully Rage will have better level layouts and AI,maybe more customizable weapons/equipment too.