PAX 2011: Mass Effect 3 Hands On

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I liked the conversation system. It would still be good even if they didn't add anything to it. The combat is what I disliked the most and what needed the most work, so good to see they're putting more time into it.

That said, my favourite things were the story and characters. So I hope they give them at least as much emphasis as in the other games.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
cursedseishi said:
Eh, its not that big a surprise Mordin is looking to undo the Genophage. I mean hell, I pretty much half-expected it based on his Companion-specific mission. It's like the same thing with Garrus, we had a chance to either turn him cold-blooded kill-anyone-to-accomplish-the-mission, or get him to be more of the "Paragon Shepard" approach.

Though, it would be nice for them to actually show something new. This same scenario is pretty much one of the few repeated over and over for these gaming conventions. How about something new! Maybe give us some game time with James "Situation" Vega?
Wait... maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't Mordin execute his apprentice for (in an admittedly ass-backwards way) looking into curing the genophage??
You can stop him from killing Maelon by choosing to interrupt when the blue paragon interrupt flashes. If you don't choose to interrupt Mordin will kill Maelon.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
cursedseishi said:
Eh, its not that big a surprise Mordin is looking to undo the Genophage. I mean hell, I pretty much half-expected it based on his Companion-specific mission. It's like the same thing with Garrus, we had a chance to either turn him cold-blooded kill-anyone-to-accomplish-the-mission, or get him to be more of the "Paragon Shepard" approach.

Though, it would be nice for them to actually show something new. This same scenario is pretty much one of the few repeated over and over for these gaming conventions. How about something new! Maybe give us some game time with James "Situation" Vega?
Wait... maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't Mordin execute his apprentice for (in an admittedly ass-backwards way) looking into curing the genophage??
It wasn't so much that he was curing the genophage that he killed him, but how he was going about doing it.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
So ... it is true. Liara is back in the squad, which means:
In order to get complete story lead in to ME3 from ME2 you HAVE to buy DLC no.2 and DLC no.3.

Well, no thanks.

Wonder how many DLC it will take this time for the story to come together? Also, is Drew back to writing Mass Effect 3 or not?

SouthpawFencer

Jul 5, 2010
I'm willing to overlook the omnitool blade, although I'd have preferred that Shepard simply us a spring-loaded blade built into his gauntlet, or even a knife housed in the right forearm of his armor (so that he can stab somebody with the knife while still holding his firearm with his right hand).

Actually, my dream concept would be each class having it's own unique melee moves, such as the Infiltrator using a stiletto, the Engineer using a plasma cutter, the biotic-classes using a biotically-enhanced close combat move, and the Soldier using a knife/rifle butt/bare hands.

Oh, well, I've enjoyed the previous installments of Mass Effect, but have gripes about both of them. If this turns out to be my biggest gripe about ME3, I'll be very, VERY happy.

Plus we haven't heard anything about scanning for minerals yet. That's certainly a case of no news being good news!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SouthpawFencer said:
Actually, my dream concept would be each class having it's own unique melee moves, such as the Infiltrator using a stiletto, the Engineer using a plasma cutter, the biotic-classes using a biotically-enhanced close combat move, and the Soldier using a knife/rifle butt/bare hands.
I'm pretty sure that is how it works.

Soldier gets the omni-blade, engineer gets a mini flamethrower and I think the sentinel gets some sort of electro-taser... thing (see image 4 above). No idea about the other classes.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
kajinking said:
Mordin! He is back!!!!
Assuming, presumably, that he survived Mass Effect 2. It didn't happen on any of my playthroughs, but I think it was possilble for him to die on the final ME2 mission.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I wonder if this will be a forced mission or optional, you can press mordin on the whole plague thing in me2 or you can cheer him on for stopping the krogan menace.

either way there could be a ton of reasons why they are not showing more story, its not done, they do not want to spil any more than your are getting out of the action videos. i would not be hand wringing that a bioware rpg will lack story, what me2 lacked was many rpg elements, and flat boring combat, so the previews and the promise of reworked combat and all the other rpg stuff they readding sounds good to me, because i was never worried about the story, call me crazy.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
vansau said:
PAX 2011: Mass Effect 3 Hands On

The set-up is that Mordin Solus has found a cure for the genophage that rendered nearly all the females of the Krogan race sterile.

Wait, Mordin found a cure for the genophage and he actually wants to use it? Isn't this a massive retcon from his idea's in ME2, where he thought the genophage wasn't exactly good, but necessary regardless?

And yet another thing to add to my "why not to buy ME3" list.

P.S. Just to clarify, it isn't Mordin trying to cure the genophage that pisses me of, it's the fact that this is a retcon of Mordin's entire moral dilemma in his loyalty mission.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Mortuorum said:
kajinking said:
Mordin! He is back!!!!
Assuming, presumably, that he survived Mass Effect 2. It didn't happen on any of my playthroughs, but I think it was possilble for him to die on the final ME2 mission.
It is possible, he died on my first playthrough. He was the only one sadly. I was wondering how this would affect me.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Is it wrong the only thing I can think of after reading this article is: Where's the fucking screenshot of the female Krogan?

zeda12123

Aug 29, 2009
Mezmer said:
Is it wrong the only thing I can think of after reading this article is: Where's the fucking screenshot of the female Krogan?
Same here, actually. I really wanted to see a female krogan.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
zeda12123 said:
Mezmer said:
Same here, actually. I really wanted to see a female krogan.
Dude, you see her in a video from E3.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i think we will have plenty of story and endings in ME3. bioware would not let the fans down with the last installment of this epic saga. yes, they really do show a lot of the combat that makes you wonder in some way, but i also guess they simply dont wont to revile too much of the story at that point.
lets just wait and see. thats all we can do.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting pretty bored of all the action shots now. I get it BioWare, Shepard and his friends can kill things, but I would really like to see something else.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Theminimanx said:
Wait, Mordin found a cure for the genophage and he actually wants to use it? Isn't this a massive retcon from his idea's in ME2, where he thought the genophage wasn't exactly good, but necessary regardless?

P.S. Just to clarify, it isn't Mordin trying to cure the genophage that pisses me of, it's the fact that this is a retcon of Mordin's entire moral dilemma in his loyalty mission.
I don't know how many times you've played through ME2, but you can convince Mordin that the genophage is wrong, and that he should try and cure it. Naturally he decides to put if off till later, seeing as how the collectors are the problem at hand, but it's pretty easy to assume that Mordin would continue the cure research after the suicide mission.

Safice to say, I would guess this whole sequence is one of those things that will change based on your imported save. However, this is all speculation at this point since all that BioWare appears to be working on at the moment are the graphics and combat which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Why? Because it means that they are getting the big stuff over with first, leaving themselves an odd 6 months or so to work on the RPG elements. And hey, since it's BioWare and Casey Hudson, I'm guessing they wont disappoint within the 6 months they still have.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
vansau said:
The demo was, essentially, one prolonged firefight. The set-up is that Mordin Solus has found a cure for the genophage that rendered nearly all the females of the Krogan race sterile. However, Cerberus is trying to prevent Solus and his test subject - a Krogan female - from getting out of the facility they're in. As a result, Shepard, Garrus, and Liara have to fight off Cerberus forces, ensuring Solus and the Korgan can make a safe escape.
I do believe there's something wrong there :p

Looking forward to ME3 and more Liara and Tali :>

Edit: curses, I did a error aswell....now it's there ;)

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Theminimanx said:

How many times did you play ME2 through I wonder? During said loyalty mission, it is possible to convince Mordin that the genophage is wrong, and that he should continue researching the cure. He puts it off till later since the Collectors are the primary concern, but it's very clearly later that he would deal with it later. That said, it is quite probable that this is one of those missions that will change drastically based on your save import. (Something that Casey Hudson has been touting for a while now)

So far all we've seen from BioWare on the topic of ME3 has been combat and graphics which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Why? Because it means they're getting the engine stuff dealt with now, leaving an odd 6 months or so to work on the RPG elements. Plus, since it's BioWare and Casey Hudson, I'm guessing that they wont disappoint.

P.S. As a side note, I find it hilarious that people are being critical of ME3s lack of RPG elements base on a 10 minute combat oriented demo.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Clonekiller said:
Theminimanx said:

I don't know how many times you've played through ME2, but you can convince Mordin that the genophage is wrong, and that he should try and cure it. Naturally he decides to put if off till later, seeing as how the collectors are the problem at hand, but it's pretty easy to assume that Mordin would continue the cure research after the suicide mission.

Safice to say, I would guess this whole sequence is one of those things that will change based on your imported save. However, this is all speculation at this point since all that BioWare appears to be working on at the moment are the graphics and combat which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Why? Because it means that they are getting the big stuff over with first, leaving themselves an odd 6 months or so to work on the RPG elements. And hey, since it's BioWare and Casey Hudson, I'm guessing they wont disappoint within the 6 months they still have.
Oh, I must've forgotten about that. That said, I assume that the demo version of the mission is also the one that you get if you don't import a save file. So I still find it odd that the "standard" (uninfluenced by Shepard) version of Mordin has a different view on the genophage than Mordin as he started out in ME2.

Also, creating the rpg elements might force the desingers to make changes to missions in order to make sure it works for every character, which means that some work you did on the level will go to waste. Said work will be a lot more if the graphics have already been optimized.