PAX East 2010: Hands On: Puzzle Quest 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX East 2010: Hands On: Puzzle Quest 2

It may look more like Diablo this time around, but Puzzle Quest 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Quest-2-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0033BJS9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278953621&sr=1-1] plays just like the first game. Which is a good thing, by the way.

Let's get one thing straight: I absolutely loved the first Puzzle Quest. It was a combination of the notoriously addictive Bejeweled with the almost-as-addictive thrill of leveling up via an RPG. What's not to love about it? So after being horribly, horribly burned with Gyromancer, the idea that we might be getting a new Puzzle Quest game that didn't suck was tremendously appealing, to say the least.

The first thing I noticed - and the first thing anyone who played the original game will notice - is that Puzzle Quest 2 is on a much more intimate scale this time around. Rather than moving around an overworld map from town to town, PQ2 feels much more like a dungeon-crawler a la Diablo or Torchlight. There isn't any free movement; you're still selecting specific locations and moving to them, but it's now "walk to the merchant" instead of "ride down to this city."

Thankfully, with the removal of cities comes the removal of city sieges - which is a good thing.

As with the first game, you select a character class based off of a classic fantasy archetype like Barbarian or Paladin, and I was pleased to note that the male Barbarian I started out as clung fiercely to the Barbarian cliche of running around in one's underwear in sub-freezing temperatures. The snow-covered village that serves as the game's tutorial was under assault by a band of goblins, you see, and I wasn't going to get a silly little thing like frostbite get in the way of kicking their ass.

PQ2's "combat" plays much the same as in the first game - i.e., it's Bejeweled. Matching three gems of a color gets you mana with which to cast spells and use abilities, matching skulls does direct damage; you've seen this all before if you played Puzzle Quest. Some of the more extraneous features have been given the boot, though: Rather than having to earn experience and gold via matching their respective tokens, it's automatically awarded after every fight which is much less of a hassle.

A new addition is the ability to activate equipment: There's a new type of gem that awards "action points," and those action points can be spent on attacking with an equipped weapon or defending with a shield. In essence, it's basically just another spell or ability in your roster, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out later in the game when you have more powerful (and theoretically more varied) items at your disposal.

There are also new challenge maps to mix things up. At one point, the goblin invaders set a building on fire and we were asked to put it out. Matching blue gems (water) gradually put the fire out, but matching red gems (fire, natch) did damage to us and just made the fire stronger - or you could spend action points on using a bucket of water, which did more "damage" than the Bastard Sword I'd been using. Clearly, in the world of PQ2 water buckets are simply more effective weapons than two-handed swords.

The game looks very nice on both XBLA and DS, and despite the smaller, more intimate scale it's clear that this is essentially just more Puzzle Quest with some new additions and some of the more clunky and unnecessary elements given the boot.

But really, what's wrong with that?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am glad they have not done what Gyromamcer did and kept with there system!

Nothing wrong with a second one and if it lives up to what is written here I will be very happy ^^

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
I hope this lands on PC the same time it does on XBLA and DS. Any news on a PC version? Can you like... go back and ask them for me? Thanks.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SavingPrincess said:
I hope this lands on PC the same time it does on XBLA and DS. Any news on a PC version? Can you like... go back and ask them for me? Thanks.
I did ask. A PC port is almost certain, though XBLA and DS are the focus at the moment.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Getting the XBLA version first.

HELL. I have 2 versions of the first. PC and 360.

Good game, and dirt cheap for the amount of content.

And Galactrix...Uhh...Fuck that shitty sci-fi one. Ruined EVERYTHING.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
John Funk said:
SavingPrincess said:
I did ask. A PC port is almost certain, though XBLA and DS are the focus at the moment.
Appreciate it. The game is definitely better with touch/mouse controls. I'm very glad they didn't change the core mechanic of the gameplay. This was definitely one of the most addicting, fun games to come out in the last decade. Thanks for taking the time to feature it and talking with them!

You guys coming to PAX Proper out here in Seattle?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Awesome, I loved the first Puzzle Quest. I spent so many hours level grinding, and I can't wait to do it all again.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Now let's just hope they tone down the cheating from the AI a tad and this game will be fine.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The AI never cheated, it was just really good. Also it had the same problem as many DS games, the starting boards weren't randomized but randomly chosen from a fixed set of boards. After a while you started to recognize all the starting boards and it made the game more boring.

That said YES this will rule and I'm so getting this one.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I'm confused, wasn't Galactrix Puzzle Quest 2? Or was it like... PQ1.5?

Eh, either way I'm happy to see more Puzzle Quest. One of the very few puzzle games that have kept me interested for more than half an hour.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
goodness i want this game.
i was well addicted to the original.
the "action points to use items" system makes me think of puzzle kingdoms combat. (i liked this game but not nearly as much as quest)

also
Loop Stricken said:
What's with all the Gyromancer hate? I thought it was pretty good.
agreed, i liked gyromancer aswell

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
I'm glad to see this, hopefully this gets the taste of Galactrix out of my mouth (jumpgates blargh).

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Agreed on the FUCK Galactrix comment, that game was an utter piece of shit.

Looking forward to a day one purchase of PQ2, I will get it on XBLA and play it all damn day, I guarantee it.