PAX East 2010 Hands On: Red Dead Redemption

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
This along with Portal 2 is looking like the most enjoyable game I'll buy this year. I haven't played all that much GTA (I wasn't allowed to buy 18 games until a few years ago and by then I'd heard GTA4 was crap so I didn't bother) but this looks like a much more interesting game to me. Partially because no one seems to have a brilliant game out of Spaghetti Westerns yet.

It certainly looks like there's a lot to do and see. It seems like it's treading a fine line between realism and fun, but then again this game once again has the advantage of being set in a world I don't see by stepping out my front door (I live in a small ye' old English city not Liberty City but you get the idea).

Plus the story segments I've seen so far look promising, the characters certainly seem to stand out to me.

number2301 said:
Sounds a lot like Gun to me? Even down to the bullet time mechanic.
To be fair I don't doubt the majority of old western games have some sort of bullet time mechanic. If you wish to be authentic the guns are going to be pretty lacking in the epic department, so there's got to be something to spice up gun play, and what with the whole sharp shooters, fast draw types from the movies this sort of gimmick just seems to fit. Call of...something or other did the same thing too I believe.
Call of Juarez was pretty good. I played Ray al the way through.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
A friend of mine was a playtester of this for a while until Rockstar cut a bunch of their Massachusetts team, but everything he said made me extremely excited about this, and this little snippet confirms my desires. I can't wait to get this.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ah, it sounds great. I've always wanted a decent Wild Western sandbox. Some RPG elements would have been nice as well (something in the vein of Fallout 3). That and I always thought it be a great game feature to customize your own firearms, like that scene from The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly. I want Tuco's gun!

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Can't wait, one of my first favorite games was Red Dead Revolver and this looks just as awesome, hopfully with the diverse Indian/Chinaman enemies, it was so fun fighting those guys on an unfinished railroad.

EDIT: Year aniversery post for me!!

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
number2301 said:
Sounds a lot like Gun to me? Even down to the bullet time mechanic.
Well, pretty much all western games have had some form of bullet time, ever since Red Dead Revolver introduced Dead Eye.