PAX East 2010 Hands On: Red Dead Redemption

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PAX East 2010 Hands On: Red Dead Redemption

When it comes to sandbox-style games, the gold standard is Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-Game-Titles/b/ref=amb_link_6681542_3?ie=UTF8&node=577315011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1X86AV3S582VNFRJZGRR&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=382011501&pf_rd_i=grand%20theft%20auto] is cut from very much the same cloth. At the same time, its setting in the Old West gives the by-now well-worn gameplay a completely fresh feeling. Plus, you get to make chickens explode in a frenzy of feathers, which has to count for something.

You play as John Marston, a former outlaw who has changed his ways, gotten married, and settled down. But since domestic bliss wouldn't be much of a game, the government nabs your family and gives you your mission: round up (and preferably kill) your old gang or else. Saddle up, it's time to spill some blood.

Redemption's gameplay will immediately feel familiar to anyone used to GTA or similar sandbox-style games. Either on horse or on foot, you can roam around the wild prairie as you search for your old cohorts or complete side quests. You can expect to run into some critters out there in the wilderness, but you can hunt them, skin them, and sell their pelts for profit. I couldn't get an answer on whether or not you could also eat the meat to regain health, but after playing the game, I'm guessing not. Your health regenerates, so just taking cover for a few seconds should usually be all you need. Medicine will cover the times when you're really in danger of pushing up daisies.

The weapons are what you'd expect from the game's Old West setting: you'll acquire a healthy sampling of pistols, shotguns, rifles, and even a Gatling gun. You also have a "Dead Eye" ability, which is something like bullet time. Activate it, and time stops, giving you a brief opportunity to paint your victim with targets. Hit the button, and you open up a hail of gunfire on the targets and decimate the bad guy. If the bad guy in question also happens to be a chicken, it'll pretty much vaporize in an explosion of feathers. Not that, you know, I tried that during the demo, or anything. Sicko.

GTA IV was a pretty fine looking game, but I have to say, I greatly prefer Red Dead Redemption's wide open spaces and scenic vistas. You can see for miles, it seems, and if you can see it, you can ride to it. The game also has a day/night cycle, allowing you to enjoy both the sun-baked beauty of the desert and the cool loveliness of moonlight. Yes, I'm romanticizing a bit, but it's hard not to when you see the game. It is a Western, after all. You can collect various kinds of horses, all of which are beautifully animated, and add them to your stable. The voice acting and soundtrack are top notch, too.

The demo I played was fairly short and to the point, highlighting Red Dead Redemption's combat and cover system, but it made me want to play more. They wouldn't tell me whether or not you can visit a brothel (I doubt it, what with you being married and all) or tell me about the upcoming DLC (that announcement should be out next week, but mark my words, it'll be multiplayer or co-op), but I saw more than enough to pique my interest. GTA IV [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278951825&sr=1-1] was just too dreary for me. I felt hemmed in not only by Nico's criminal doings but also by the city itself. Red Dead Redemption looks to have all the technological power of GTA IV without the claustrophobia. Or the obnoxious cousin with a cell phone fixation.

Red Dead Redemption will be out May 18th.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
\Glad to see the battle system is pretty cool! Dosnt sound as bad as I originally labelled it...

I want a Gatling gun! I bet that could cause some pretty sweet havoc!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
So instead of cell phones I can expect messenger pigeons? Or messenger hawks? Because hawks are more awesome than pigeons or cell phones.

And the game is looking solid. I'm just debating which platform I want it on.

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
Looks like my type of game, may be tempted to get it when I can be bothered to get my 360 fixed.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mr. Grey said:
So instead of cell phones I can expect messenger pigeons? Or messenger hawks? Because hawks are more awesome than pigeons or cell phones.

We were chuckling about that. The Pony Express comes tearing into scene...."Telegram!" shouts the winded rider. Frowning, John opens the envelope...

COUSIN! STOP. WANT TO GO HUNT BEARS? STOP. TELEGRAM ME BACK. STOP.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Mr. Grey said:

We were chuckling about that. The Pony Express comes tearing into scene...."Telegram!" shouts the winded rider. Frowning, John opens the envelope...

COUSIN! STOP. WANT TO GO HUNT BEARS? STOP. TELEGRAM ME BACK. STOP.
Well, Pony Express trumps messenger hawks. Because I can hijack the horse and effectively leave the mailman high and dry. That will by my answer to dear ol' cousin.

"The mail won't go through... not today."

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
The setup sounds "Unforgiven"...

Is there a shooting trainer where you have the option to ditch the six and grab your 2-bar?

'Cuz, that would be pretty awesome.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
This was my second favorite demo at the show (The first by far being The Behemoth's Battle Block Theater). I've always thought a Western would be the perfect setting for a sandbox game.

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
did everyone forget about red dead revolver ? the first game in this franchise. : ( that was one of my favorite xbox original games too..

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
This is my #1 highest anticipated game of 2010... I've been looking forward to this for some time... Can't wait!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I'm actually quite looking forward to this, the old West is a great setting for a sandbox game, not to mention underused.
I'm just hoping that I can get to GoW3 and FFXIII before this comes out, damn my work and friends and other hobbies. There's just never enough time, if only I didn't have to sleep, what a waste of 8 hours!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rpspartin said:
did everyone forget about red dead revolver ? the first game in this franchise. : ( that was one of my favorite xbox original games too..
No, of course not. Red Dead Revolver was surprisingly good, but just a bit rough around the edges. Redemption improves on its predecessor in pretty much every way possible.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
GTA IV was just too dreary for me. I felt hemmed in not only by Nico's criminal doings but also by the city itself. Red Dead Redemption looks to have all the technological power of GTA IV without the claustrophobia. Or the obnoxious cousin with a cell phone fixation.>
Yea and you only notice those things after playing it for about a week. I have a feeling RDR is going to have a bunch of other annoying qualities.
I'm giving this a rental like I wish I had done with gta4.
R* was the gold standard for sandbox last gen but (for me) Bethesda set the new standard. I can see how many would disagree though, especially those who like prime time crime dramas.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GonzoGamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
GTA IV was just too dreary for me. I felt hemmed in not only by Nico's criminal doings but also by the city itself. Red Dead Redemption looks to have all the technological power of GTA IV without the claustrophobia. Or the obnoxious cousin with a cell phone fixation.>
Yea and you only notice those things after playing it for about a week. I have a feeling RDR is going to have a bunch of other annoying qualities.
I'm giving this a rental like I wish I had done with gta4.
R* was the gold standard for sandbox last gen but (for me) Bethesda set the new standard. I can see how many would disagree though, especially those who like prime time crime dramas.
Quite possibly. We'll have to see when we get our hands on a review copy. Staaaaay tuned!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
This along with Portal 2 is looking like the most enjoyable game I'll buy this year. I haven't played all that much GTA (I wasn't allowed to buy 18 games until a few years ago and by then I'd heard GTA4 was crap so I didn't bother) but this looks like a much more interesting game to me. Partially because no one seems to have a brilliant game out of Spaghetti Westerns yet.

It certainly looks like there's a lot to do and see. It seems like it's treading a fine line between realism and fun, but then again this game once again has the advantage of being set in a world I don't see by stepping out my front door (I live in a small ye' old English city not Liberty City but you get the idea).

Plus the story segments I've seen so far look promising, the characters certainly seem to stand out to me.

number2301 said:
Sounds a lot like Gun to me? Even down to the bullet time mechanic.
To be fair I don't doubt the majority of old western games have some sort of bullet time mechanic. If you wish to be authentic the guns are going to be pretty lacking in the epic department, so there's got to be something to spice up gun play, and what with the whole sharp shooters, fast draw types from the movies this sort of gimmick just seems to fit. Call of...something or other did the same thing too I believe.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
number2301 said:
Sounds a lot like Gun to me? Even down to the bullet time mechanic.
So far, Gun has the best Western setting out there.
[sub]Thomas Jane is an awesome actor! Punisher, woo!although Steve Blum is my favorite...[/sub]
I hope Red Dead Redemption will live up to my expectations of awesome! currently my #2 most anticipated game of 2010.
[sub]Fallout New Vegas is #1[/sub]