PAX East 2010 Hands On: Split/Second

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PAX East 2010 Hands On: Split/Second

Split/Second is a new racing game from Black Rock Studios, the makers of Pure. In Split/Second you play the part of a driver in a reality TV show based around street racing. Black Rock was showing off the game at PAX East, and I got to give it a try.

One thing is immediately clear when you start playing, Gran Turismo this ain't. Split/Second is firmly in the arcade racer camp, not really surprising given its 'reality show' premise, so if you demand realism from your racers, then you should avoid the game. On the other hand, if you like a lot of explosions, then Split/Second might be just your thing.

The level I played, a two lap street race in Downtown Central, had a lot going on, and the city felt like it was an active and busy place, but even with that very rich environment, the game ran at a breakneck speed and the backdrop never distracted me from the actual racing. The course is designed with obstacles for you to try and drive other racers into, but crashing in Split/Second is am inconvenience, rather than the end of your race.

The mechanics of Split/Second are pretty simple; dangerous and entertaining driving like jumping and drifting will fill up your 'Power Play' bar, which you can spend to make things blow up and hinder other drivers, or open up secret paths. You're not the only one with a 'Power Play' bar however, and your opponents can add hazards to try and hinder you as well. One particularly intense moment comes on the second lap of the demo, when one of the AI drivers triggers its 'Power Play' bar and a backhoe drags its bucket across the track, throwing a shower of sparks into the air, accompanied, or course, by an explosion.

I found that the actual driving in Split/Second was very forgiving; the controls were simple, and the car handled pretty well. I started off the game by braking into turns, but after a lap and a half realized that I didn't actually need to for most of them, and could just ease off the accelerator. Again, if you demand realistic handling in your racing games, then you're not going to enjoy Split/Second very much, but if Mario Kart or Burnout Paradise is more your speed, then you're likely to have a lot of fun.

Split/Second is released on May 18th.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I never did play Burnout paradise....
So I'll probably give this a try... Maybe I'll pick it up pre-owned for a lower price, But I won't be rushing to buy it on launch...

Also...
Logan Westbrook said:
Split/Screen is released on May 18th.
Shouldn't that be Split/Second?
[small]Don't crush me for trying to correct you oh powerful one[/small]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Spacefly said:
I never did play Burnout paradise....
So I'll probably give this a try... Maybe I'll pick it up pre-owned for a lower price, But I won't be rushing to buy it on launch...

Also...
Logan Westbrook said:
Split/Screen is released on May 18th.
Shouldn't that be Split/Second?
[small]Don't crush me for trying to correct you oh powerful one[/small]
heh, that's the second time I've done that. It's been a long day :)

Jan 3, 2009
I can't stop noticing the grammar errors. Was he typing this on his phone while in a bathroom?

Regardless, if this is Burnout Paradise, I will pick this up as soon as possible.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sparrow said:
So, basically, it's Burnout?

...aaaand, pre-order.
Looks like it...although loved the burnout games and I do mis them alot!

I hope it will have the same spirit!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Sparrow said:

...aaaand, pre-order.
It's Burnout plus the ability to dick over the people in front of you by making things explode in their face.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Sparrow said:

...aaaand, pre-order.
Hehehe, Pretty much this. Though I'm still having fun with Burnout Paradise so I don't know if I should get this one too. Still...like Burnout but instead of Boost you make explosions, sounds mighty interesting if you ask me. Can't wait to see how this turns out.