PAX East 2011: L.A. Noire Brings Unparalleled Realism to Virtual Characters

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PAX East 2011: L.A. Noire Brings Unparalleled Realism to Virtual Characters

You can drive around L.A. Noire's 8 square miles of 1947 Los Angeles yourself, or you can have your partner take the wheel if you feel lazy. Rockstar said that the game definitely has the open world that fans are accustomed to from previous titles, but it isn't quite as crazy with random quests or pizza delivery missions. Side cases will pop up on the radio at times, but everything will make sense for a police officer of the era.

At the ex-husband's house, Cole enters with gun drawn. The owner was home, and he's informed of his potential future arrest for murder while Cole explores the house for damning evidence. As players explore, a piano chime will play that indicates a something is nearby to check out. Not everything is important, because that'd be too easy, so players have to determine what matters and what doesn't. Thankfully, Rockstar has implemented what it calls "investigation music" which will stop playing when there's nothing left to find, so you won't wander around an apartment endlessly for no reason.

Cole finds a pad of paper and does a pencil rubbing, uncovering the words of a note previously written by the ex-husband saying he had to "do something about his wife." However, while interrogating the man, his face seemed to show that he knew something, but he didn't appear to be the killer. You could really tell this from his face. Cole uses the pad of paper to catch the man in a lie, and it's revealed that he had someone else perform the murder for him.

Grand Theft Auto was Rockstar's innovative open world game, Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299951517&sr=1-1] was an innovative western, and L.A. Noire is set to be an innovative experience as a police officer from the 1940s with a realistic bent. Cole will experience a wide variety of cases as he moves from the traffic desk, to homicide, and beyond. If the entire game plays out like this single case shown at PAX East 2011, L.A. Noire will be one impressive game.

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this game, I've always thought the industry needs more detective/investigatory games.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I'm extremely excited... but that first screenshot is really a bit too much for me.

Still, this looks like the ultimate detective game. A shame all everyone really talks about is facial animation.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
This is solid info that just sold a game I didnt plan on getting it before but this sounds like the kinda stuff I been wanting in a game time to preorder on amazon

Captcha:vireern unclonable

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this, if Red Dead Redemption is anything to go by this should be a great experience, I'm just upset I've only got a xbox 360 and not a ps3 so I wont be able to play it, 40s noire is one of my favourite settings, more stuff needs to be made like this.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Considering this is what I do all day...
It's kind of weird that I still want this game. Though I get the feeling I will either be annoyed at inaccuracies or be unable to separate real procedure from that in the game and be very bad at it. (Kind of like how I'm much better at firing a real gun than a video game one)

JourneyThroughHell said:
I'm extremely excited... but that first screenshot is really a bit too much for me.

Still, this looks like the ultimate detective game. A shame all everyone really talks about is facial animation.
Speaking as an actual detective; You'd be surprised how much detective work is just reading people. (everything CSI has taught you is complete science fiction)

edit: I investigate thefts, robberies, etc. Not murders... but the procedures are pretty similar.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Will there be a Multiplayer, similar to that of RDR? Just wondering. Since I wiwll of course play the SP first, but I would like to have something to do after. :)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
elvor0 said:
I'm really looking forward to this, if Red Dead Redemption is anything to go by this should be a great experience, I'm just upset I've only got a xbox 360 and not a ps3 so I wont be able to play it, 40s noire is one of my favourite settings, more stuff needs to be made like this.
its on both PS3 and 360

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Facial animations are great. The faces themselves are pretty ugly - I'm kind of at a loss as to why they've got all this mo-cap done, and then used some of the flattest, blandest textures on the characters' faces.

Anyway, I am slowly becoming more interested in this. I hope most of it has been written by Bondi though, because I don't know how much more of Rockstar's pacing I can take.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
On paper this looks to be one of the best, most interesting games ever. I really really hope LA Noire is as good as it sounds. It could (in my eyes at least) go a long way in proving the validity of mature themed videogames.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
ace_of_something said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

Speaking as an actual detective; You'd be surprised how much detective work is just reading people. (everything CSI has taught you is complete science fiction)
For starters, CSI?

Also, yeah, I know that a person's facial expression can give away a lot, but it's still disheartening that that's the only thing anyone ever mentions about the game.

Totally no hyperbole there.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Korten12 said:
Tom Goldman said:
Will there be a Multiplayer, similar to that of RDR? Just wondering. Since I wiwll of course play the SP first, but I would like to have something to do after. :)
I believe I asked and they said no, but don't quote me on that.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
If I won the lottery right now, I would pay them to port it to the PC. I want it that badly.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Innovative motion capture ? How ? Its a very "lazy" method and it surely has some huge limitations. But hell, it looks good.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Still haven't been sold on this one. I need to see some gameplay first, but it definitely has potential.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I want to reserve it, but don't know if it will turn out as amazing as I hope it will be.