PAX East 2012: BioWare Claims TOR 1.2 Is the "Biggest Update Ever"

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
PAX East 2012: BioWare Claims TOR 1.2 Is the "Biggest Update Ever"

The Old Republic introduces ranked PvP and a new Legacy system that lets players build up their characters.

Update: The 1.2 Update is currently not scheduled to release this week as previously reported.

Showcased at PAX East, an upcoming expansion for award-winning MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic promised a deliver a veritable host of new gameplay features, including new missions, customization options and PvP content.

"Update 1.2 is a huge, massive update; it's probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest, free game updates ever," said Live Producer Cory Butler of the upcoming expansion. Butler said the highlight of the 1.2 update is the Legacy system, which gives players several options to level up their alternate characters while focusing on their main.

"If you're a huge PvP player, through the Legacy system, you'll be able to level [your alternates] faster just through PvP," Butler explained of how the Legacy system allows players to avoid grinding or repeating missions for their alternate characters. "If you're really into Flashpoints or Operations, you'll be able to do that as well."

Through the Legacy system, players will also be able to unlock special abilities tied to both their companions and the various decisions they've made throughout the main story quests.

The 1.2 update also includes several updates to SWTOR's PvP aspects, including a ranked PvP system and a new Warzone titled Novare Coast. Inspired by the invasion of Normandy in WW2, Novare Coast is a 3-point domination-style map where Jedi and Sith players battle to establish a beachhead and control the Warzone's artillery placements.

In addition to more multiplayer content, the 1.2 update introduces the next chapter in the Rise of the Rakghouls story arc in a new Flashpoint mission titled The Lost Island. There will also be several guild improvements, such as guild banks and calendars and the ability to customize the game's UI to better fit your preferences. Sadly though, there's no word on when Guilds can cruise around in their own capital ships just yet, although Butler stated that it's something BioWare's keeping on its radar.

The Old Republic's 1.2 update is scheduled to launch sometime this week.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Mouse_Crouse said:
WMDogma said:
I didn't know we had that definitive of a release date.
me either, but since I have 1 male toon and 3 female ones, what the heck will my legacy tree look like?

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
Orks da best said:
Mouse_Crouse said:
WMDogma said:
me either, but since I have 1 male toon and 3 female ones, what the heck will my legacy tree look like?
Someone on the forums said that the launch this week was a mistake, just some guy at pax got a little confused a mixed up dates.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
InTheEnd said:
Orks da best said:
Mouse_Crouse said:
WMDogma said:
Someone on the forums said that the launch this week was a mistake, just some guy at pax got a little confused a mixed up dates.
Did some additional research and found that BioWare confirmed that the "early April" release date was a mix up. Thanks for pointing this out!

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Meh. This is all very cool but should have been released in March as originally planned. They didn't give an official release date but said it was planned for March back in January. It's taken way too long, too many people have unsubscribed in the meantime. Which is a shame because the game has great potential.

Now the hard times start for the game, I'm certainly intent on playing more.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
WMDogma said:
"Update 1.2 is a huge, massive update; it's probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest, free game updates ever," said Live Producer Cory Butler of the upcoming expansion.
Someone has clearly never heard of EVE Online.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Dont suppose we get some server transfer option with this? Can't tell you how depressing it was to make it to the fleet to find that the server consists of all of 6 players.

And when I finally get a server with a decent population they open up australian servers and half of the server is instantly gone.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I can't see how they can call the update "free" when players are paying $15 a month to play. Constant updates and new content is a must, not a charity.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I feel like this could better expressed in a canned copyrighted way:

Comic book guy: "Biggest... Update... Ever!"

Donald "Multiple Bankruptcies" Trump: "This update is going to be huge..."

Okay, I'm out of material. Anyone got any more?

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
I...really feel the need to point out to this fine gentleman, that "free" implies that the content is not paid for. I would then go on to discuss what a "Subscription Fee" is.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Ah still doesn't make me wanna resub.

Tired of big companies jerking people around for more money by making em wait for ages for new patches. Can't speak for the quality as I quit the game some time ago, but Trion Worlds have put out more content in a year than Blizzard have in more than two and that's a company less than a quarter their size! So one would think with the staff and money of a large company like Bioware or Blizzard they could deliver lots of quality content in (relatively) short amounts of time, hell if they did I'd probably still be subbed to wow!

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Star Wars - but in Normandy during Operation Overlord? God dammit Bioware stop making this so fucking perfect. I guess I have to go back now.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Well I had a laugh reading this!

How long it has been since release? Half a year? And JUST NOW they released ranked PvP, it's mind boggling. Imagine playing random scenarios with no goal or rank for half a year! Trust me, any pvp-ers that played TOR where among the first who jumped into the lifeboats.

tangoprime said:
WMDogma said:
"Update 1.2 is a huge, massive update; it's probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest, free game updates ever," said Live Producer Cory Butler of the upcoming expansion.
Someone has clearly never heard of EVE Online.
pretty much what he said

And still no introduction of guild capital ships, guild baking only added now... I mean it's so bad it's laughable. And space combat is still just a gimmick

All they did is they added content that people will chew through in a week tops

This ship cannot sink fast enough for me.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
Quit the game after my first month before I paid a sub. I like the Flashpoints, doing story-based missions as a group is a lot of fun as it makes you actually play to your talents and feel like you're doing something. But there's only so many of them and they make up a tiny chunk of the gameplay. The bulk of the game is the planetary missions and those are just repetitive, if you group up it becomes ridiculously easy, if you don't it takes too long. I don't know, I guess I just wish if companies are going to make MMOs like this, they from the start make it designed to play with other people, making an MMO and having more than half of the content be designed for solo play (space combat too after all is all solo) makes me think it would be better as a singleplayer game.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Axyun said:
I can't see how they can call the update "free" when players are paying $15 a month to play. Constant updates and new content is a must, not a charity.
This is EA....a blue moon means you get something free...

OnTopic: for me...yeah...I played for about 2 months level capped and finished my story and wasnt very impressed... They basically tell you to go sit on your ass in the fleet and wait for something to do... Also it lacks an LFG system

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
swtor became boring in 2 months, now it's just terrible. I hope 1.2 changes that but imho people will just switch to DIII or GW2 or anything with some endgame content that doesn't take 2h a week to complete.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
the game is completable in 2-3 weeks this is simply too little too late from bio-ware, it was obviously rushed out

legacy adds nothing to the game, except trying to make people re-roll and role-play to squeeze all the story out of the game possible

ranked pvp will likely end up more of a joke than the illum pvp changes

Swtor has become the tdu of the mmorpger scene, ambitious but rubbish

i left after a month, and i'm happy with that decision looking at the 'content' they've finally bothered to put in i wouldn't be willing to pay a continued sub for it