Pay to Win

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
1st story here

64 college students were definitely found to not received a place based on merit in some universities in California last year. Another 400 are pretty questionable. I think there were four institutions involved

Most were based on them being rich and getting donations. And most were white. And this is a completely separate from the Huffman/Macy etc. incidents from last year.

I hope this is not suprising anyone. One rule for the elite, another for us

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yes, but it real and not made up with biased research
But... that's the entire premise of Affirmative Action. "Not based on merit." Therefore it steals a future away from someone else. That doesn't require any research or statistics, it's just "this is what affirmative action is".

Whether or not affirmative action is harmful or not is the part that requires research.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
But... that's the entire premise of Affirmative Action. "Not based on merit." Therefore it steals a future away from someone else. That doesn't require any research or statistics, it's just "this is what affirmative action is".

Whether or not affirmative action is harmful or not is the part that requires research.
Nah, Affirmative action is where you don't get a plus just because your white. Which was, and by this news report, still is very common.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Nah, Affirmative action is where you don't get a plus just because your white
That's a... creative way of looking at it.

I thought it was when the test score requirements (among other requirements) were given an automatic boost based on race.
Say, if the college normally requires a score of 900 to get in, it's 900 for white people and 700 for black people.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's a... creative way of looking at it.

I thought it was when the test score requirements (among other requirements) were given an automatic boost based on race.
Say, if the college normally requires a score of 900 to get in, it's 900 for white people and 700 for black people.
Okay, did this news just not sink it. The opposite it true. Whites were getting plus points. Unis like Harvard did try to rectify this by giving blacks plus points too and call it Affirmative Action.

It's not something I condone, but I understand their intention. It's not fair on every other demographic. I'd prefer to either a) give everyone the same privilege as whites and give everyone plus points like they get. Or b) take away these plus points from whites.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Just to be clear, taking away all advantages of joining club or charities which giving you plus points would be a must

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Okay, did this news just not sink it. The opposite it true. Whites were getting plus points. Unis like Harvard did try to rectify this by giving blacks plus points too and call it Affirmative Action.

It's not something I condone, but I understand their intention. It's not fair on every other demographic. I'd prefer to either a) give everyone the same privilege as whites and give everyone plus points like they get. Or b) take away these plus points from whites.
Yeah, both things are happening here:
- Rich kids and those whose family are alumni get in automatically
- Minority students get their scores bumped.

And all of it is wrong. None of it is fair. I think we are in agreement that it should be based on merit for everybody, and nobody should be given special treatment.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
The people involved definitely need to be fired and those who got in unfairly should be booted, degrees revoked, burn their transcripts tbh. Harsh but the rich need to be booted down when they cheat.

And houseman needs to stop derailing just because he hates minorities tbh

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Nah, Houseman isn't a genuine hater. He selects his words and arguments on these forums to cause the most frustration and annoyance to others for some amusement to himself.
He rarely argues in good faith and is usually just enticing people into responding to his nonsense.

On topic though, is it really news that the world is pay to win?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Guess what color my skin is!
It doesn't matter. One's skin colour is no boundary to hating one's own race or others.

But... that's the entire premise of Affirmative Action. "Not based on merit."
No, affirmative action is an attempt to correct for structural disadvantages that some people suffer in society.

Person A goes to an independent school a cost of $50,000 a year and is intensively trained by the best teachers with the latest equipment to excel, and person B gets thrown into a mediocre school with mediocre teachers, mediocre equipment and disruptive classmates. You would have us believe that when these two sit the same standardised assessment, that their different backgrounds makes no difference to their performance, and their mark is representative purely of their personal, individual, innate capabilities.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Nah, Houseman isn't a genuine hater. He selects his words and arguments on these forums to cause the most frustration and annoyance to others for some amusement to himself.
He rarely argues in good faith and is usually just enticing people into responding to his nonsense.

On topic though, is it really news that the world is pay to win?
Yeah, like I said, he hates minorities so much he'll derail the thread to hate on them. 'Genuine' hater is just a way to excuse people who aren't drapped in a Nazi flag twirling a mustache

And the news is this instance of it happening. When someone reports on a murder the news isn't that murder happens

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, both things are happening here:
- Rich kids and those whose family are alumni get in automatically
- Minority students get their scores bumped.

And all of it is wrong. None of it is fair. I think we are in agreement that it should be based on merit for everybody, and nobody should be given special treatment.
With the proviso that b) is not Affirmatice Action. It goes against. And that a) has happened in more frequently in the last 40 mnths than b) has happened in 40 years