Payday 2 Boasts A Pleasantly Mellow Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Payday 2 Boasts A Pleasantly Mellow Trailer

Two things I just realized: Payday 2 is an actual game scheduled for release later this year, and I adore the down-tempo approach this new gameplay trailer takes.

Generally speaking, when a studio wants to scrape together a trailer to promote its latest title - particularly if that title heavily features gunplay - they opt for the "bigger is better" approach. Explosions bloom for no physically apparent reason, dubstep blares at viewers like a drunk animatronic monkey and the entire thing is edited in the schizophrenic, jump-cut style that Hollywood will always, ALWAYS blame on Paul Greengrass.

I expected more of the same going into this new trailer for Overkill Software's Payday 2. As you've probably guessed from that numeral at the end of its name, the game is a sequel to 2011's Payday: The Heist, a downloadable, team-based first-person shooter which tasked players with swiping stuff from heavily guarded locations. Think of the series as virtual recreations of the heist scenes from Point Break, and you're essentially on the same page as the developers.

But back to the trailer: For the first one minute and forty five seconds, it's eerily calm. Granted, there are burly men in stylized horror masks methodically planning a robbery while calmly gunning down anyone who might identify them, but beyond that it's almost serene.

Unfortunately, the bombast floodgates burst toward the very end of the vignette and it becomes a stereotypical montage set to even more stereotypical music, but for a little while there Overkill Software and 505 Games had me convinced that they were taking a novel approach to this game. Here's hoping they realize the value of silence before Payday 2 hits shelves on August 15.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBQqlMHeE8]

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
*Watches, actually notices things that seem like real heist things rather than just a cop murderer simulator. Then sees the last ten seconds*

Well, that was the longest I've ever had hope for Payday. Ahwell..

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'd be slightly disappointed by the tone shift at the very end of the video, but then I realize that I could reenact the whole shootout from Heat with this game. And judging by the rest of the trailer (as well as some information about the game I looked up), there's at least going to be more emphasis on stealth in the heists.

So you know what? Count me excited for this game.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ldude893 said:
I'd be slightly disappointed by the tone shift at the very end of the video, but then I realize that I could reenact the whole shootout from Heat with this game. And judging by the rest of the trailer (as well as some information about the game I looked up), there's at least going to be more emphasis on stealth in the heists.
If you're playing any game in the Payday series and not imagining yourself as the star in a Michael Mann film, you're doing it wrong.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I wouldn't say they're horror masks. They're clown masks in case they have to take children hostage!

Harvest & Trustee is the most ominous bank name ever. They should have known something like this would happen with a name like that.

The

Jan 24, 2012
It would be cool if it was possible to do an entire heist quietly and non-lethally. I loved the first Payday, but it would be even better if I could play in a silent fashion. I understand they wanted to show all play styles, or maybe appeal to a certain crowd at the end, but they seem to be focusing on planning this time around.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
im a have to go the other way and say i hope its not too stealth oriented , its when it goes tits up and the body count brakes 500 i start having fun ;) still love the original and been playing it today infact. not sure how i want to see it improved, making assaults a less entrench and wait it out and more like left for dead's crescendo's where you have to get somewhere or dp something and it wont end till your dead or the jobs done. more guns , more hoxton that will do me

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Parakeettheprawn said:
*Watches, actually notices things that seem like real heist things rather than just a cop murderer simulator. Then sees the last ten seconds*

zumbledum said:
im a have to go the other way and say i hope its not too stealth oriented , its when it goes tits up and the body count brakes 500 i start having fun ;) still love the original and been playing it today infact. not sure how i want to see it improved, making assaults a less entrench and wait it out and more like left for dead's crescendo's where you have to get somewhere or dp something and it wont end till your dead or the jobs done. more guns , more hoxton that will do me
Its both, you can do entire missions stealthily via picking locks and the safe, knocking out guards, stashing bodies, etc. Or you can go in guns blazing. If you do the first approach, get caught and don't kill anyone, they don't sent in swat right away, they set up a perimeter, take their time, etc. If you walk in and start shooting, instant swat.

This video shows both approaches.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Dogstile said:
Parakeettheprawn said:

zumbledum said:
Its both, you can do entire missions stealthily via picking locks and the safe, knocking out guards, stashing bodies, etc. Or you can go in guns blazing. If you do the first approach, get caught and don't kill anyone, they don't sent in swat right away, they set up a perimeter, take their time, etc. If you walk in and start shooting, instant swat.

This video shows both approaches.

...improved HUD, clear core concepts, multiplayer divergent strategies focused on stealth, some actual gosh-damn pacing, non-pure suicidal AI? I might actually try this on a Steam free weekend. Go fig, it finally stopped being a half-arsed game that felt like a CoD-mod. Good on them, I love the idea of a heist game done right.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The trailer kind of suits the tone of the game though.

I mean things can be sedate and calm and all about silently breaching the security of the mark, but then if you get caught...
Chaos ensues.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
Did you know that there's a PAYDAY group on the Escapist?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Crime-Net

Either way, it already preordered, the trailer has just made me more pumped than I already am!

Parakeettheprawn said:
...improved HUD, clear core concepts, multiplayer divergent strategies focused on stealth, some actual gosh-damn pacing, non-pure suicidal AI? I might actually try this on a Steam free weekend. Go fig, it finally stopped being a half-arsed game that felt like a CoD-mod. Good on them, I love the idea of a heist game done right.
Oh yeah, its a COMPLETE CoD-mod.....you know, aside from the fact that you stand out in the open you'll die easily on any difficulty above easy, the specials can work together to pick your team apart, there's enough variation from the heists for games to change completely in an instant, teamwork is vital, especially in the tougher difficulties and it just gives a sense of camaraderie that most games lack.

But, then again, I am a fan, so I would say these things.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
SPARTANXIII said:
Oh yeah, its a COMPLETE CoD-mod.....you know, aside from the fact that you stand out in the open you'll die easily on any difficulty above easy, the specials can work together to pick your team apart, there's enough variation from the heists for games to change completely in an instant, teamwork is vital, especially in the tougher difficulties and it just gives a sense of camaraderie that most games lack.

But, then again, I am a fan, so I would say these things.
Oh really? Cause I can't think of any other shooters where standing out of cover would get you killed easily. That's a real game changer. My team rarely ever got taken apart, and while yes there were some "different" types of cops, there are also different types of infected in L4D, and in L4D's case, did a far better job. Really? Because I played at least half of the heists available and did one repeatedly when my team was all coordinated and... it rarely felt in any way different whatsoever. Teamwork is vital any competitive/cooperative shooter, people just seem to not notice that and run into killing hallways every ten seconds the majority of the time. Once again, camaraderie can be gained in any game -- in fact, I usually got that sort of feeling in Mass Effect 3's MP, as well as in Killzone 3, and the Syndicate reboot.

Yes, and if you like it, then fine, enjoy it. But that's not going to change my opinion. I'm sorry, but it was a 4/10 experience for me, considering all the positive press and claims that you had to be strategic and that it was the next L4D. I didn't expect it to blow my mind but... I expected at least something closer to what this sequel -might- offer if it actually turns out the way they're toting it. Let's just agree to disagree.