Payday 2 Ultimate Edition Announced, All Future DLC to be Free

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Payday 2 Ultimate Edition Announced, All Future DLC to be Free

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1404/1404823.jpgOverkill is packing every bit of Payday 2 DLC into one box, and plans to make all future DLC free.

Payday 2 has had a tumultuous life. First released in August of 2013, it was very popular for a while, but when Overkill added microtransactions to the game in October of 2015, the community was up in arms. Since then, the game has seen its rights bought by a new publisher, and Overkill has tried mend the fence sit kicked over.

Now, Overkill has announced it plans for the future of the crime-spree shooter. On June 8, it plans to release Payday 2: Ultimate Edition, which will contain the base game and almost all of the DLC that's been released to this point. That's nearly 50 pieces of DLC and 144 updates.

Up until the Ultimate Edition releases, you'll be able to pick up all of the Payday 2 DLC for 85 percent off in the Steam Store. If you want to buy any DLC separately, you'll want to do it during that sale, because after June 8, all the DLC will be taken off the Steam Store, and the only way to get it will be to purchase the Ultimate Edition.

The only piece of DLC that you'll be able to buy separately will be the previously-April Fools Day-related Ethan and Hila pack. It made the stars of h3h3 Productions into playable characters in the game, and Overkill says that it will continue to sell that pack with all proceeds going to Ethan and Hila.

Once this happen, Overkill doesn't plan to stop supporting Payday 2. In fact, it's lengthening its planned support. The developer originally planned to stop creating new content for the game at the end of 2017, but it has now extended that timeline to October 2018. Best of all, all future DLC will be free to anyone who owns Payday 2.

The Ultimate Edition is currently only a Steam bundle. Overkill says that "Console players will receive more news as additional content is made available for them."

If you want more information on the upcoming release, you can find it on the game's official site [http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/payday2-ultimate-edition/]. The Payday 2: Ultimate Edition is coming to Steam on June 8.

[gallery=7361]

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Nice, just went from missing about $35 worth of the DLC to about $5 thanks to the sale prices.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I love their attitude towards PC versus consoles here hahaha.

To PC players: Dudes we got the best deal the best! All content coming in from June onwards is gonna be free and we'll be selling all DLC into this awesome ultimate pack and its just, damn man, value! Also all DLC is dirt cheap now for our long time supporters. Love ya all!

To Console gamers: You'll know whats up when the next DLC hits the store

I am so, so not buying the Switch version is all I'm saying.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
In unrelated news:
The playerbase massive dropped after the last paid DLC has been announced by being a fucking horrible idea most of the community didn't want to happen but Overkill did anyway because of a bunch of kiddos spamming the forums (as with all previous horrible DLCs).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Bindal said:
In unrelated news:
The playerbase massive dropped after the last paid DLC has been announced by being a fucking horrible idea most of the community didn't want to happen but Overkill did anyway because of a bunch of kiddos spamming the forums (as with all previous horrible DLCs).
Overkill pretty much hates the fanbase and this point and just wishes they would open their wallets without a peep.
The amount of times they've basically shived their community for money is atrocious.
I honestly don't know how they get away with it. If this was EA or any other company people would want to burn them to the ground. But Overkill got away with a DLC that was basically give us $20, you literally get nothing, just give us $20. Maybe we'll give you something good in the future...and they didn't.

And it's pretty atrocious that everytime the money flow starts to stop they basically repackage the game to milk a few more pennies from players.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rednog said:
Bindal said:
In unrelated news:
Overkill pretty much hates the fanbase and this point and just wishes they would open their wallets without a peep.
The amount of times they've basically shived their community for money is atrocious.
I honestly don't know how they get away with it. If this was EA or any other company people would want to burn them to the ground. But Overkill got away with a DLC that was basically give us $20, you literally get nothing, just give us $20. Maybe we'll give you something good in the future...and they didn't.

And it's pretty atrocious that everytime the money flow starts to stop they basically repackage the game to milk a few more pennies from players.
Oh, it gets better - Overkill decided that they don't get a cut of that final piece of DLC, those unwanted folks get it as "donation". So even if you were thinking to buy the DLC to get the equipment and perkdecks, but otherwise try to stay as far away as possible because you hate the characters (and the people playing them, who play THEMSELVES no less)... you still gonna donate to those people you hate.
And that's not even going into the fact that last week we got another (at least original character) and now got a total of EIGHTTEEN already with a 19th already announced (and also already disliked).

Meaning Overkill basically gives their fanbase the middlefinger again simply because Overkill is once again unable to tell that idiots spamming the forum (because they think they are funny - they are not, by the way) does not equal "there is demand".
We went through that several times before with one paid DLC (which is usually ignored otherwise, but offers some alright masks so it gets that pass) and with very dumb free mask. And now we're there again, except this time it's not only paid again, it's also giving money to the exact people that shouldn't.

For me, that was basically the reason to just uninstall the game and leave permanently.
And given that I mostly tolerated the introduction of microtransactions (as I saw them as something that was fine in principle, but the execution was completely broken), I think that should give a good indication how bad this DLC is.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Rednog said:
Bindal said:
In unrelated news:

Are you referring to the Completely Overkill Pack? Because that -did- give four special "Mega" masks on purchase with a promise of a 5th item down the line. The 5th item ended up being a random shitty gun skin, and there was actually so much uproar about it that they took the time and resources to create and add 8 more Mega Masks to the DLC despite the fact that they were no longer selling said DLC, just as a way of apologizing.

It's also worth noting that there was an utterly massive shitstorm when gun skins dropped, it's one of a number of times they most definitely didn't "Get away with it". The game's review score dropped by almost 20% in just a couple of days. This was before Steam added the "Recent" score to the store pages, but it would've likely been in the single-digits had it existed at the time.

I personally stopped buying any DLCs after the gun skin debacle, but eventually Overkill/Starbreeze bought full rights for the Payday IP back from 505 Games and then proceeded to -immediately- revamp the gun skin system into a 100% free system (Note: you can still trade gun skins on the marketplace, but crates no longer require a $2.50 key to open when you get them as a mission reward, they're opened for free). Given that their lead director had promised shortly after the game released that there'd never be microtransactions, then later resigned for fairly unclear reasons, it kinda became clear that 505 pressured/potentially forced them to implement the MTs. After that revelation I was cool with supporting them again (albeit at 75% off because I'm a cheapskate), and now that they've distanced themselves from their publisher it's become clear that some of the shittier business decisions they made over the years were due to corporate meddling, and I think that's why a lot of people have since let the past slide.

Bindal said:
What's wrong with h3h3 Productions :<?

Apr 5, 2008
I think this is a positive move for the game. As a long time player, I've seen all the changes. The microtransactions were stupid and lost a lot of goodwill. My friends and I did eventually return and soon after the drills were removed outright. Last October's major changes were also horrible, tho not to the same level. They added not only new difficulty settings (a good thing) but altered existing balance and difficulties (a bad thing). They fundamentally altered the balance such that it became really horrible to play, almost requiring meta weapons and builds basically.

I can understand "supporting" one's game, especially PD2 which is still alive and well because of of the continued support. But so much of it is changing things unnecessarily, adding things that make the game worse, not better and making "small" changes that have huge effects on gameplay. Thankfully the game can be modded to some degree, so while I'm hosting it's a nicer experience.

On the subject of this Ultimate Ed. I think it's a very good idea considering the time in the game's lifecycle. A new player coming in now will see something very different than I did. They'll see a base game and a load of separate add-ons that will more than double the cost of the game and they don't know what is worth it or not, what offers what, etc. They'll get into Vanilla and see loads of masks and weapons they can't get without paying extra for, heists they can only join but not start, characters they can't choose, etc. Making this edition will simplify all of that, getting all content to date in one fair price (a lot less than I paid over the years all together), all future content included. It will breathe some new life into a still popular game and keep it going until PD3.

My first thought was that it meant the game wouldn't be getting any more content, but am glad it will still get developed until 2018. They've made mistakes with it, but for the most part it's a very unique, well supported, very playable game. It has more "co-op" than almost any other co-op games I've played, all in a very elegant, essential and enjoyable way.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
It's nice that they announce all future DLC free after the release of the edition as well as support until mid-2018.