Payne to the Max! Payne in the butt! (Worst levels in gaming thread)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
4,771
1
0
Signa said:
I half-understand how you feel OP, but it was part of the narrative, and there was a quick-save function in the game, so whining about checkpoints is completely your fault. The baby's cry could have used a bit of toning down though.

My worst level that I can think of is this one Cybran level in Supreme Commander where you open the next section of the map and instantly have to save an outpost. There is little warning to amass your forces before you auto-fail the map. It was a huge challenge the one time I played the campaign without saving mid-level.
There is no quicksave on the PS2 version.

Dude it's not a mark of a good game when the difficulty of the game come from wrestling with the inability to walk a straight line and/or I have to play with the TV on mute because I die so often that I have to hear that mind shattering wail.
 

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
4,742
0
41
Country
USA
SaneAmongInsane said:
Signa said:
I half-understand how you feel OP, but it was part of the narrative, and there was a quick-save function in the game, so whining about checkpoints is completely your fault. The baby's cry could have used a bit of toning down though.

My worst level that I can think of is this one Cybran level in Supreme Commander where you open the next section of the map and instantly have to save an outpost. There is little warning to amass your forces before you auto-fail the map. It was a huge challenge the one time I played the campaign without saving mid-level.
There is no quicksave on the PS2 version.

Dude it's not a mark of a good game when the difficulty of the game come from wrestling with the inability to walk a straight line and/or I have to play with the TV on mute because I die so often that I have to hear that mind shattering wail.
Well, I can't speak for the PS2 version, but I was fine with the PC. Was it my favorite part of the game? Far from it. Did I find it so thoroughly unenjoyable that I had to stop playing the game? Not even close. I'm not at all saying that it made the game better (or a halmark of a good game as you put it), but it was a deviation from the norm, and it conveyed more about Max's psyche than the graphic novel panels could have.
 

I-Protest-I

New member
Nov 7, 2009
267
0
0
The entirety of Battlefield 3's single player made me scream and break a controller on normal it was that bad.
 

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
4,771
1
0
Signa said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Signa said:
I half-understand how you feel OP, but it was part of the narrative, and there was a quick-save function in the game, so whining about checkpoints is completely your fault. The baby's cry could have used a bit of toning down though.

My worst level that I can think of is this one Cybran level in Supreme Commander where you open the next section of the map and instantly have to save an outpost. There is little warning to amass your forces before you auto-fail the map. It was a huge challenge the one time I played the campaign without saving mid-level.
There is no quicksave on the PS2 version.

Dude it's not a mark of a good game when the difficulty of the game come from wrestling with the inability to walk a straight line and/or I have to play with the TV on mute because I die so often that I have to hear that mind shattering wail.
Well, I can't speak for the PS2 version, but I was fine with the PC. Was it my favorite part of the game? Far from it. Did I find it so thoroughly unenjoyable that I had to stop playing the game? Not even close. I'm not at all saying that it made the game better (or a halmark of a good game as you put it), but it was a deviation from the norm, and it conveyed more about Max's psyche than the graphic novel panels could have.
Yeah thematically it was great, but gameplay wise it was controller breaking bad bro.
 

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
4,771
1
0
Major_Tom said:
What fucking checkpoints? You have a quicksave! The loading times were terrible only if you were playing on a 386. And cutscenes? Seriously? Are you actually talking about Max Payne 3? I never liked prologue missions too, but they weren't that hard (I was 12 when I played it, and didn't have to skip anything).
no Quicksave on the PS2 man. And everytime you die you have to re-load, a long 13 seconds.

And there are some in-game cutscenes that are unskippable.
 

rutcommapat

New member
Jul 1, 2011
284
0
0
SaneAmongInsane said:
So I've been replaying Max Payne. It's rather hit and miss, for all the charms that I like about it there are a TON of flaws that I'm amazed it's had two sequels. The load times are terrible, the lack of check points, the ingame cutscenes you can't skip.

The worst offender though is the 2nd nightmare level. Not only is it an ungodly maze, you can't fucking see anything and when you fall into the abyss the cry baby lets off an ear shattering wail.


When I was a little kid, I just said fuck it and used the level cheat code to skip it. This time I kept playing until I beat this fucker, and it was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing a video game. Seriously, if they have video games in hell this level will be apart of it.

Anyone else have a level in a game they out right loathe to the core?
I just muted my TV for this part, and every time I fell into the abyss I prayed to every God that I don't believe in that it would be the last time I had to play it.

Although, this isn't my least favorite part of Max Payne. At one point you have to jump over some insta-kill wires, shoot some bad guys, shoot some more bad guys, and then ride an elevator pointed awkwardly upward shooting the oncoming insta-kill wires (If you miss a single one it's back to the start. And half the time you don't even know if you're shooting at the right place. And the game isn't known for its accuracy anyway, so shooting those fucking things was like trying to throw a pencil at a baseball pelted directly at your face), then shoot more bad guys, then shoot MORE bad guys, and repeat. And you had to do ALL of this, without any checkpoint between it.

Weirdly enough, despite this I still like Max Payne 1 more than Max Payne 3.
 

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
799
0
0
SaneAmongInsane said:
Major_Tom said:
What fucking checkpoints? You have a quicksave! The loading times were terrible only if you were playing on a 386. And cutscenes? Seriously? Are you actually talking about Max Payne 3? I never liked prologue missions too, but they weren't that hard (I was 12 when I played it, and didn't have to skip anything).
no Quicksave on the PS2 man. And everytime you die you have to re-load, a long 13 seconds.

And there are some in-game cutscenes that are unskippable.
Ah, next time please specify that you are talking about a shitty console port.
 

teh_Canape

New member
May 18, 2010
2,665
0
0
probably Slough of Despair from Doom for me
such few ammo
and cacodemons and demons everywhere
fuck that stage yo
though it's pretty cool that it looks like a hand =P

also the Guardian of Steel (the part crawling with Wendigos), and the Wasteland too, damn that thing is a maze, alsothe secret stage in the first hub (damn, so many Chaos Serpents), all from Hexen
 

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
May 27, 2020
2,054
0
1
Country
Ireland
teebeeohh said:
this is something that is brought up a lot when it comes to annoying levels and i just don't get it, i always found the fade to be rather easy and you get free stat-points and it's not actually puzzles since it's basically enter an area, grab the shapeshift, go to area where this is needed and repeat 3 more times. and look everywhere for free stuff.
My main problem with the fade section was the stupid blur effect they used.I guess the best way to describe it is if you don't wear glasses and you put on someone's glasses and everything goes blurry.It's funny at the start but after a short while your eyes start hurting from trying to focus.Combine that with the fact that the fade section is overly long and not particularly fun and it just becomes a chore to play through
 

alexwbyrd

New member
Jul 12, 2012
108
0
0
It's been awhile since I played the original Tomb Raider but I remember the Cistern level was very easy to get lost and confused on what to do next. Despite the fact I beat that game before I still don't remember at all how to do that level.
 

Broady Brio

New member
Jun 28, 2009
2,784
0
0
Max Payne 3 on Old School mode. In part 2 when you found out about the guy called Neves and organs. The last part of the level can suck my dick.

Most recently, getting Gold on GTA: San Andreas vehicle schools. Especially Driving "City Slicking" one.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Jacco said:
Halo: Combat Evolved. The Library. Fuck that level.

Its boring and repetitive and there's nothing to look at. And by the third door I had to wait at while Guilty Spark took his sweet fucking time opening it while I was getting swamped by aliens with no backup, I was fuckin DONE with that level.
I'm amazed only one person said this.

Yeah. This. "The Library" was the absolute worst way they could possibly follow up the amazing introduction of The Flood, and hell, I think it should be a mandatory lesson all by itself on "How not to do level design in a video game" for aspiring developers. It's that bad.
 

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
4,771
1
0
Major_Tom said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Major_Tom said:
What fucking checkpoints? You have a quicksave! The loading times were terrible only if you were playing on a 386. And cutscenes? Seriously? Are you actually talking about Max Payne 3? I never liked prologue missions too, but they weren't that hard (I was 12 when I played it, and didn't have to skip anything).
no Quicksave on the PS2 man. And everytime you die you have to re-load, a long 13 seconds.

And there are some in-game cutscenes that are unskippable.
Ah, next time please specify that you are talking about a shitty console port.
Next time don't just assume everyone is a PC elitist....

rutcommapat said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
So I've been replaying Max Payne. It's rather hit and miss, for all the charms that I like about it there are a TON of flaws that I'm amazed it's had two sequels. The load times are terrible, the lack of check points, the ingame cutscenes you can't skip.

The worst offender though is the 2nd nightmare level. Not only is it an ungodly maze, you can't fucking see anything and when you fall into the abyss the cry baby lets off an ear shattering wail.


When I was a little kid, I just said fuck it and used the level cheat code to skip it. This time I kept playing until I beat this fucker, and it was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing a video game. Seriously, if they have video games in hell this level will be apart of it.

Anyone else have a level in a game they out right loathe to the core?
I just muted my TV for this part, and every time I fell into the abyss I prayed to every God that I don't believe in that it would be the last time I had to play it.

Although, this isn't my least favorite part of Max Payne. At one point you have to jump over some insta-kill wires, shoot some bad guys, shoot some more bad guys, and then ride an elevator pointed awkwardly upward shooting the oncoming insta-kill wires (If you miss a single one it's back to the start. And half the time you don't even know if you're shooting at the right place. And the game isn't known for its accuracy anyway, so shooting those fucking things was like trying to throw a pencil at a baseball pelted directly at your face), then shoot more bad guys, then shoot MORE bad guys, and repeat. And you had to do ALL of this, without any checkpoint between it.

Weirdly enough, despite this I still like Max Payne 1 more than Max Payne 3.
Yeah but you can get around the inta-kill bullshit have the time by lobbing a grenade into the next room... or alternatively use the cheat codes.
 

Chunga the Great

New member
Sep 12, 2010
353
0
0
Mortain in Company of Heroes. They did the whole "2-part" thing fantastically with Carentan, but Mortain is just fucking murder. Defending the hill isn't too bad, but the second part is just fucking ridiculous. You start out supply-blocked and have to both defend the hill and attack several positions across the map.

Bourgebus was another complete BS level. It was fine up until the last part where you face 4 or 5 motherfucking Uber-tanks. They 1 shot EVERYTHING on Normal. They aren't too difficult to deal with the second time, but the first time you see them is rage-inducing. For those of you who haven't played Company of Heroes (go buy it right fucking now) tanks are very expensive, take a long time to build, and take up a lot of your popcap. It usually takes 4-7 shots to destroy one, but these tanks at the end just fucking one shot them and they are damn near invincible. I don't know who the fuck put those in, but it damn near ruined the British campaign for me.
 

Bad Jim

New member
Nov 1, 2010
1,763
0
0
The infamous race mission in Mafia. It was just way too hard. Fortunately for me, I'm also a racing fan and I could get through it, but it still took me a lot of attempts and I had to do it perfectly to win. It would have been acceptable in a driving game, but in an fps, where people weren't expecting to have to win difficult races, it was a nightmare. So numerous were the complaints, that a later patch added difficulty settings.

As usual, someone on the internet has managed to make it look easy.
 

dimensional

New member
Jun 13, 2011
1,274
0
0
This is my worst level and am surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet.


I only ever completed it once. Seriously it kills the entire game dead and its only the third level. The game would have been far superior without this in it. The person playing actually does pretty damn good though in the vid it took me ages just to get to where he does and learn all the patterns.

Oh and dont even bother trying it in 2p as it just doubles youre chance of messing up.
 

Burntpopcarn

New member
May 29, 2011
224
0
0
Oh christ, this is going to be a long list.
I hate a TON of levels in games, but only one comes to mind: Cortana from Halo 3. You wander around a confusing and dark labyrinth of floods (who are some of the most annoying and creepy enemies I've ever fought) and machinery until after several long, boring hours of saying to yourself "No, I was here already... or was I? Aw f***, everything looks the same, how can I tell?" you find John Smith 117's esteemed AI girlfriend Cortana (Why is Chief's girlfriend an AI? He could probably have any girl he wanted and yet he goes for one that isn't even really alive), who's insane and still annoying as ever. Chief then pretty much says he's going to fight his way through an even MORE confusing labyrinth of tunnels and fight even MORE floods and finally you leave the fucking place and get it over with. I swear to god, I heaved a sigh of relief at the end of that one.