Payne to the Max! Payne in the butt! (Worst levels in gaming thread)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
So I've been replaying Max Payne. It's rather hit and miss, for all the charms that I like about it there are a TON of flaws that I'm amazed it's had two sequels. The load times are terrible, the lack of check points, the ingame cutscenes you can't skip.

The worst offender though is the 2nd nightmare level. Not only is it an ungodly maze, you can't fucking see anything and when you fall into the abyss the cry baby lets off an ear shattering wail.

When I was a little kid, I just said fuck it and used the level cheat code to skip it. This time I kept playing until I beat this fucker, and it was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing a video game. Seriously, if they have video games in hell this level will be apart of it.

Anyone else have a level in a game they out right loathe to the core?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Planescape: Torment may be my favourite game of all time. That does not excuse the abominations that are the Curst Prison and the Fortress of Regrets. It's a shame, too, because narratively the latter was the absolute high point of the game... but there is nothing I hate more than being swarmed by a frame-rate killing amount of high-level enemies with little means to defend myself. I like a challenge but it just felt unfair. THey could have made tactically intelligent and powerful enemies, but no they just spawn about hundred fucking thousand of them and be done with it.

Maybe it's my own fault for running away early on when there weren't as many instead of killing them but I wanted to save my spells for the upcoming fights (I always find myself being a mage...)

Captcha is sour grapes... fitting.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2, the initial dungeon. It is a decent if long tutorial dungeon the first time through, every play-through after the first though it is a hellish slog that takes forever to get through.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Mister Six said:
Baldur's Gate 2, the initial dungeon. It is a decent if long tutorial dungeon the first time through, every play-through after the first though it is a hellish slog that takes forever to get through.
The opening sections of the first Baldur's Gate are tedious to get through as well, even the first time. It just has such a *dull* atmosphere and it's a shame because it could turn many people away from an otherwise great game.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Yeah I've found most of the openings to old school rpgs to be slow to open, I almost always use mods to skip the first bit if possible. Forgot the name of it but there's a mod that's in the top 10 BG2 mods that skips the dungeon, but gives you the quests, xp, gold, items, as well as letting you go through all the dialogue that has an effect later in the game.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Halo: Combat Evolved. The Library. Fuck that level.

Its boring and repetitive and there's nothing to look at. And by the third door I had to wait at while Guilty Spark took his sweet fucking time opening it while I was getting swamped by aliens with no backup, I was fuckin DONE with that level.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
So I've been replaying Max Payne. It's rather hit and miss, for all the charms that I like about it there are a TON of flaws that I'm amazed it's had two sequels. The load times are terrible, the lack of check points, the ingame cutscenes you can't skip.

The worst offender though is the 2nd nightmare level. Not only is it an ungodly maze, you can't fucking see anything and when you fall into the abyss the cry baby lets off an ear shattering wail.

When I was a little kid, I just said fuck it and used the level cheat code to skip it. This time I kept playing until I beat this fucker, and it was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing a video game. Seriously, if they have video games in hell this level will be apart of it.

There was a time where every other gamer didn't whine about everything . When we had to suck it up or quit . When games actually provided a challenge . Times change . This was the norm back then . Now we have to be considerate of people who find every other game too hard when there wasn't a checkpoint everytime an enemy sneezed .

As for my personal hardest level .Demons's soul's valley of defilement

derintrel

Feb 18, 2010
Hades in God of War 1. Holy crap those spinning pillars of blades. What the hell was the guy who came up with that idea thinking?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
krazykidd said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

There was a time where every other gamer didn't whine about everything . When we had to suck it up or quit . When games actually provided a challenge . Times change . This was the norm back then . Now we have to be considerate of people who find every other game too hard when there wasn't a checkpoint everytime an enemy sneezed .

As for my personal hardest level .Demons's soul's valley of defilement
No. This isn't about it being hard. I'll gladly play the hardest shooter bits on the hardest setting of Max Payne, cause that's all a real question of skill.

But this nightmare level? The level that punishes you with that MIND-FUCK WAIL OF A BABY NOISE? It stops being a video game and starts being an endurance contest. That level in Max Payne is utter bullshit.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
derintrel said:
Hades in God of War 1. Holy crap those spinning pillars of blades. What the hell was the guy who came up with that idea thinking?
oh God. It's coming back oh god no! There were reasons I repressed those memories. I hated that level with a burning passion. Why would you put a platforming section in god of war? especially one that belongs in super meat boy.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Gorilla Gunk said:
Blighttown in Dark Souls for obvious reasons.
O MAI GAWD THE FRAME RATE! WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO MY FRAME RATE?!

So glad you can skip 90% of the area and 100% of The Depths by just going through Valley of Drakes and rushing Spider Boss Lady. I don't even care if there is good loot I just hate that area.

OT: The Fade for obvious reasons and anything involving Giant Ants in the Fallout games. I hate the goddamn scuttling sound they make. It gives me chills man...

Then they gave them flamethrowers. Wonderful :S

Also the entire Dominion game mode in League of Legends, it counts as a level dangit. I hate how my prefered type of Champion i.e. any AP Caster (Ahri, Morgana, Lux etc) is just not worth it as you should take a tanky DPS because they are all stupidly effective in that mode.

Darius = Instant win.

The only saving grace is that I can play Evelynn without my team despising me the entire game. Backdoor Eve OP!

So hype about the upcoming Eve rework. Hope to god they make her viable again. She has been the biggest joke character for ages now.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I'll just go out and say it: The final level of Operation Flashpoint. Somewhere on the northern part of this huge ass island (we are talking like 10-15 square kilometers here) there are two SCUD missile launchers hidden that you need to destroy within 45 minutes. You do not know where, but between them and you you do know that there's about a company worth of Soviet soldiers. So what do you get? 12 guys, 2 trucks and 2 APCs.

The "guide, dang it!" way to solve this scenario is to raid a soviet staging base and steal two of their helicopters (of which you get no mention in the briefing) and then fly around until you find the launchers. If you don't know of that staging base however, you can be driving around the northern part of the island forever, getting ambushed and having to reload, while looking for those launchers.

Yeah. I hate that mission. Hate it with a passion.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Blighttown in Dark Souls for obvious reasons.
O MAI GAWD THE FRAME RATE! WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO MY FRAME RATE?!

So glad you can skip 90% of the area and 100% of The Depths by just going through Valley of Drakes and rushing Spider Boss Lady. I don't even care if there is good loot I just hate that area.
I just got Dark Souls yesterday and this, so much this. I've been dying a fair amount in this game but this part... Man. It's like the game actually gets enjoyment from pissing me off. All though I was pretty impressed with myself when I realized that at the start of the level if you lure the 3 fat cleaver guys back to the start and run up the ladder they'll just fall off the level. Then the game killed me another ten times five seconds after that. This is one of those games where I don't feel a bit of guilt at find cheap shit to get back at the game with.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
This is certainly not the most difficult I've played, but it's the first that came to mind.
The Hoth level in the starwars battle front 2 campaign.
That game is so amazing, an excellent campaign with a ton of great missions. Then, you get to hoth...
It's all fine until you have to bust into a hangar with only you because your derpy team mates are shooting at snipers 500 feet away with pistols. You have to break into there, while respawning enemies come from three directions, with cover, while you fart around in the open. The rage on that level is immense :mad:

Also, kashyyk was this until I remembered you could repair as an engineer. You have to defend a series of points, getting pushed further and further back ala Helms Deep. At the very final point, there's a huge wall that only lets infantry through, who are very easy to kill, but they'll try and blow up the wall. This lets their OP vehicles storm on through, making defending that last point a ***** unless you go engineer and find that little console that I'd never even noticed before I got told.

And now I'm sad that there's no BF3...
:(

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
The load times are terrible, the lack of check points, the ingame cutscenes you can't skip.
Not much has changed in Max Payne 3, has it?

OT: Jak 2... The worst checkpoint system I've seen in a modern game.