PC Gamers Beat Console Crowd to Bad Company 2 Vietnam Map Unlock

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PC Gamers Beat Console Crowd to Bad Company 2 Vietnam Map Unlock

PC gamers have unlocked the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Company-Vietnam-Expansion-Online/dp/B004GHNFZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293737048&sr=8-1] multiplayer map "Operation Hastings" on their platform, leaving Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers to fight for the "consolation" prize.

When Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [http://www.dice.se/] earlier this month, it did so with a challenge to gamers: perform 69 million collective team actions on your platform and be rewarded with a remastered version of the "Operation Hastings" multiplayer map. Team actions, for those unfamiliar with the game, include spotting, performing repairs, and healing, reviving and resupplying your fellow soldiers. To ensure a fair start, since the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the expansion came out a few days after the PC release, DICE began counting on December 22.

And in only eight days, PC gamers have pulled it off, enabling the fifth BFBC2V multiplayer map on their platform. The 360 and PS3 communities, meanwhile, are lagging way behind; according to the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 website [http://www.battlefieldbadcompany2.com/vietnam/battleforhastings], Xbox 360 gamers have amassed roughly 36.6 million collective team actions, while the PlayStation 3 crew has only managed 27.7 million.

On behalf of the die-hard PC gamer community, I would like to take this opportunity to point and laugh. But please, don't feel too badly about it; the numbers are rising quickly and I'm sure that console gamers will be playing "Operation Hastings" any day now. In the meantime, we'll try not to have too much fun without you.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
To be fair, I hadn't even heard of this and I've been playing Vietnam quite a bit on the 360.

Seriously, have I been removed from it all or have other people playing not heard of this as well?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Is anyone surprised by this? Larger teams and the generally more organized teams on PC would logically dictate more "team actions."

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
As a long-time PC gamer myself, I salute my brethren. Good job ladies and gentlemen.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Probably because PC gamers weren't at the mercy of Live matchmaking, and avoided being consistently thrown into 5v2 games on enormous maps.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
On behalf of the die-hard PC gamer community, I would like to take this opportunity to point and laugh. But please, don't feel too badly about it; the numbers are rising quickly and I'm sure that console gamers will be playing "Operation Hastings" any day now. In the meantime, we'll try not to have too much fun without you.
you're joking right? I understand PC Fanboyism, I even own BFBC2 and vietnam for the PC but this a bit harsh and unesscary.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
you're joking right? I understand PC Fanboyism, I even own BFBC2 and vietnam for the PC but this a bit harsh and unesscary.
If it wasn't obvious, yes, he is just joking.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Don't blame me. I play on the 360 as a medic. I've gotten top score usually just because I would revive and heal people more than fire bullets. Hell, I once sat behind five snipers who were fighting other snipers and kept picking up everyone each time a bullet went through their skull. At least until I got picked off trying to get one of the snipers not using cover, followed by a teammate taking my pack to revive me leaving me with a sniper rifle and a damn neon bullseye on my forehead.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
well console gamers like myself tend towards the lonewolf/totalshithead style of play. (by the second one i mean the guys who jump in front of your line of fire shooting at you for no reaseon other than to make sure the enemy sees you and kills you both.)

this leads to people either running away from medkits and ammo boxes, NEVER SPOTTING ANYONE!! (seriously is the "Select" button broken or something?), playing "Teh Lone Snipah" and generally costing you the game

and of course the stat support on PS3 is so borked i have no idea how many kills i have with anything.

(seriously the menu thinks im LVL1 when ingame it says the correct level for me... this makes me a sad panda)

EDIT: sorry bout the general BC2:Vietnam rant there guys...

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
In fairness, it's pretty staggering how far behind both consoles are. Though I think he was joking, at least a bit :p Really though, this can be broken down quite simply.

In my experience, console gamers and PC gamers, as a general rule, have considerably different mindsets when playing multiplayer games. Because consoles are so widespread and accessible, you'll get a large variety of people who play it. Because of this, you'll get a lot of people who simply don't care about being part of a team (usually kids), and they'll go free for all. On PC, there's usually an older and more mature crowd for most games, so they're more likely to use tactics and work together.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tom Phoenix said:
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
If it wasn't obvious, yes, he is just joking.
well thats good, since I mean I had to make sure, as others will also make this mistake and sometimes go into flaming without asking.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Being released to the PC a few days before obviously gives them an unfair advantage. By the time the challenge date of the console release, PC gamers have already gathered enough steam and had more people come back to the game. New players have also had three days prep. Also, they've had a chance to get the feel of the game such as maps and weaponry.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
heheheh

PC gamers are more organized than consol gamers as we don't make fun of each other as much, and don't make rude comments nearly as often. (maybe that's just a fear of being hacked though... Also, no offense to those who do that.)

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Korten12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
In fairness, it's pretty staggering how far behind both consoles are. Though I think he was joking, at least a bit :p Really though, this can be broken down quite simply.

In my experience, console gamers and PC gamers, as a general rule, have considerably different mindsets when playing multiplayer games. Because consoles are so widespread and accessible, you'll get a large variety of people who play it. Because of this, you'll get a lot of people who simply don't care about being part of a team (usually kids), and they'll go free for all. On PC, there's usually an older and more mature crowd for most games, so they're more likely to use tactics and work together.
Though their is also the fact that most Console players moved over to Black Ops then PC gamers. Most PC gamers i've believed stayed with BC2 or one of the previous iterations.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
just as a point i think they should remake BF:2142 with the new engine... mainly because of Titan fights with destructible buildings would be all kinds of awesome.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
vallorn said:
and of course the stat support on PS3 is so borked i have no idea how many kills i have with anything.

(seriously the menu thinks im LVL1 when ingame it says the correct level for me... this makes me a sad panda)
This happens with the 360 version as well. Don't worry, you're not alone. I assume it probably happens with the PC as well due to the support teams and not the game/console itself. EA support though actually does a good job. They have been fully aware of the problem and your stats are constantly saved through a backup file. When there's any negative disparages, the backup file which just keeps saving all your stats, will fix it. It might take a match, an hour or two, maybe even a day. However, you're not getting rooked.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Guess PC Gamers wanted to try a bit harder. I could help with that if Bad Company 2 didn't have blood in it... YOU LOST 1 CUSTOMER WHO LOVES BAD COMPANY DICE!

I guess it's far more popular on the PC, being that console owners haven't even reached a quarter and arguably not even half combined.