PC gamers..how are you enjoying Origin?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not. Basic functionality was shit when I used it for the BF3 beta - took multiple attempts on both sides, and somewhere between 12-24 hours, to add a single friend. Links in the store didn't work either, and it was obnoxiously slow at several points in only 2 days.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Vault101 said:
soo.....Origin

good?

bad?

terrible?

I havnt had the pleasure of using EA's "wonderful" new service, so Im curious to know how you guys are finding it? is it as bad as i seems? is it "ok"?

tell me your experiences
*Looks up from playing Skyrim on Steam.*

Ori-what, you say?

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Keava said:
Kyle 2175 said:
It's okay. I have little intention of using it to buy anything, but it works well enough, far better than Steam did at launch. The interface is clean and simple; the downloading is as fast as anything else. It's certainly nothing special, but I don't see why people are avoiding it like the plague.
Because it's not their "beloved" Steam. People really need to realize we need much more competition on digital distribution market if we ever want to have base game price to go down. Currently the only 2 that people speak of are Steam and Origin, but there is GameStop's Impulse, Desura (indie games), GamersGate (mainly for UK people), D2D and GoG (classics and soon indie games). That's not really all that much compared to all the retail chains world wide that sell games.

Monopoly = Bad. Variation = Good.

The idea is to buy the game where You get the best offer. That way You give other services a sign that They could improve.
so you agree EA made a dick move pulling all new games from steam. and making them require origin?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
I've loved it! My only problem with it is that it doesn't have as many deals as Steam - though that may change after they get more third party games. On the other hand, some of the deals they've had (like Dragon Age 2 for $8) have been INCREDIBLE.

As for all the privacy shit people whine about, I don't mind it. Why don't I mind it? Because Origin is a relatively minor invasion of privacy compared to Facebook, Safari web browser, Google Chrome, the google search bar, your cell phone (and almost all the apps on it), etc.

I'm actually thinking about typing a very long thread about the hypocrisy of people and their stance against Origin when so many other services (including steam) have similar if not far, FAR worse privacy violations that they willingly accept.
So what privacy violations does Steam have then?

As for facebook's privacy violations, this is a known and you could simply not use it and block it for good measure. Zuckerbereg has been open about totally not caring about the privacy of facebook users.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I haven't really used it. It's required for The Sims 3 but I have hard copies I would NEVER download anything off an EA made download manager they are notoriously dodgy and they won't give you your money back if it goes wrong. (I know this from reading The Sims 3 and EADM technical problem forums)

If I have to play an origin game (Probably going to be Mass Effect 3) I'm getting a hard copy and switching origin off as soon as I finish playing.

I'm getting tired of games companies labelling PC gamers as pirates I have never pirated a game in my life.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
RadiusXd said:
so you agree EA made a dick move pulling all new games from steam. and making them require origin?
I consider all companies to pulling dick moves all the time. That's why I do not care about which is "better", only which gives me better offer and support, and so far Origin, GoG and Desura really offer me acceptable deals.

I also get my kicks of every hardcore Steam-fan that is blind to all Steam shortcomings and issues, ready to defend Their precious Valve with last bit of dignity.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
I use it (unwillingly) for Battlefield 3 and will presumably be using it for Mass Effect 3.

Good-bad-terrible? Eh, it works. No huge problems or standout features. Anyone who has used Steam will feel more-or-less at home.

I haven't used the Store yet and never will, because... well, mostly because fuck EA. No need to go giving them a larger share of my money.
You took the words right off my keyboard. Yeah, Origin's fine. I only run it for Battlefield 3, and close it down at all other times. Honestly, I just added Origin to Steam, re-named it Battlefield 3, and so I can access the Steam Overlay in BF3 with no problems. I see nothing wrong with Origin; I thought it would suck, but my computer actually handles it pretty well.

I don't think it's a bad program personally, because the servers haven't crashed for me and I haven't had any log-in problems. Again, I only run it FOR Battlefield 3, so I don't need to look anywhere else on it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Keava said:
RadiusXd said:
I consider all companies to pulling dick moves all the time. That's why I do not care about which is "better", only which gives me better offer and support, and so far Origin, GoG and Desura really offer me acceptable deals.

I also get my kicks of every hardcore Steam-fan that is blind to all Steam shortcomings and issues, ready to defend Their precious Valve with last bit of dignity.
That's because most of us have never been burned by Steam while there is a massive group of people who have been ripped off by the old EADM. It makes me wary of Origin when I have read so many tales of EA just taking peoples money and not giving them the games that they bought.I heard that Origin had massive problems with BF3 at first. A lot of my friends couldn't even play it because Origin wouldn't work properly.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
To be fair to Origin, as long as it does what Steam does, i.e. sit in the background, manage automatic patches, save game management, and let me buy games on sale every now and again, then I'll not have a problem with it.

I don't have a problem with Steam, I don't have a problem with GFWL (except the lack of games to play on it), and I highly doubt I'll have an issue with Origin.

Yeah, it's market fragmentation, but if someone manages to come along, and compete with Steam, then chances are it'll be a good scrap.

And around ME3? Yeah, they don't do an N7 Collector's version through Origin, so while I'll be playing it through Origin, I won't be able to buy it through it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm not really using Origin. I have it installed, and there's nothing wrong with it, but I haven't had much use of it besides for downloading Mass Effect 2.

I did consider buying Alice: Madness Returns for cheap recently, but I'm putting that off until they release the original American McGee's Alice again.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
RadiusXd said:
Last I read, EA games were pulled from Steam because EA didn't want to let Valve in on their DLC profits by distributing said DLC through the Steam platform.

Leonick

Mar 19, 2011
The prices in their store match those of buy a game boxed form a normal retailer so that's good, unlike steam where prices are at least 10? more than retail.

Origin also let's me add any game bought in a box to my account giving me an online backup, I hope they will allow that with third party games to when they start selling them.

I'm a bit annoyed by how demos and betas show up in My Games efter I removed them or in the case of Betas they ended though...

All in all it's a nice service. Steam still have better sales like for thanksgiving or christmas though.

Still, I like ordering physical copies of my games.

JediMB said:
RadiusXd said:
Last I read, EA games were pulled from Steam because EA didn't want to let Valve in on their DLC profits by distributing said DLC through the Steam platform.
That and simply having complete control over distribution of DLC and Patches. They also didn't pull all their games of steam, you can still buy for example Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on steam.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
It's ... meh. Nothing exciting but not really horrible.

I use(d) it because I wanted a copy of the original American McGee's Alice which was offered if you bought Alice: Madness Returns through EA's website.

Otherwise, I just sign in periodically to ensure that my account doesn't get deactivated.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
If you don't mention the invasion of privacy then it's okay, i guess. I really hate how now every game has to have their own online platform when you can just choose the user-friendly Valve's Steam, or just don't use one at all, but either way it does it job. Starts up Battlefield 3. Haven't really checked if it has any options similar to Steam's options, like taking screenshots, making groups and all that fun stuff, but i don't really care since the only thing i'll be using it for is Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3.

Sammyjb17

Mar 7, 2011
I haven't acually played any games on it, but I have bought DLC for the original Mass Effect through it, and got a free copy of ME2.

It's not bad, but it loads slower than Steam, and all my friends are on Steam, and they only have like 3 games Steam does not.

It's fine, but with most of my games on Steam, I'd prefer to keep everything in one place. That's just me though.

I really don't mind not having DA2 on Steam, as I beat it on my mac and have almost given up on the series.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
meh its OK, doesn't bother me any more or less than Steam and I think the source of most of the hate for comes from a. its made by EA and therefore must be evil b. EULA paranoia and c. its not Steam and therefore must be despised FOR LORD NEWELL!!!!

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
It works, it does what it said it'd do. So from a standpoint of getting what was promised, it's perfect.

I've only experienced an outage once or twice with their services, but it was for scheduled maintenance.

It's not Steam, but hasn't steam been in continuous development and improvement for about a decade now? I'll give EA a chance to redeem themselves.