(PC Gamers)Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I had Vista Ultimate, which was great by the way, and I now use 7 Ultimate 64bit which is even better.

I have had 0 problems and I only have good things to say.
So yes, if you can, upgrade. You will not regret it.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I wonder, have the people who moan about Vista actually ever tried using it? I ask because I can't understand the ever present slagging on it. I got Vista a year back and never looked back at XP and I was happy. Good performance, no crashes (4 in a year that I didn't cause myself) and all round improvement over XP.
Also does anyone recall all the bitching over XP back in 2001? It was too slow, too much eye candy, used too much memory, was too unstable - sounds familiar right? Or with Win 95? I think a lot of the flak Vista takes is from technophobes who is used to running a 9 year old OS and refuse to upgrade their computers. You think XP will run on a rig made in 95? Then why would you expect Vista to run on old HW?

In any case, I now run Win7 and it's pretty cool. Though I think it's about the same as Vista save for memory foot print and that it's a wee bit more unstable on this rig.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
It IS safe to leave the XP shelter now, but but you can't upgrade install from XP to 7. Yup. You're going to have to wipe and start again. With any versions of the 2 OS's.

I'd recommend downloading and installing this [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en]. It will tell you which version of 7 is best on your PC..

Windows 7 is much better than Vista was - I've yet to have it crash.

Seth Smith

May 28, 2010
I don't see the point. My computer runs XP but I frequently use one that has Windows 7 on it and it doesn't have anything I would have paid money to get that XP doesn't have. Until games start not working on XP I wouldn't bother.

Also, is it possible for me to construct a sentence that isn't clunky and poorly coordinated?

Jazzyluv2

Nov 20, 2009
still a windows XP guy due to drivers having to be signed by Microsoft In windows 7. Driver Signing is a pain in the ass when you are editing shit like EDID drivers and editing windows files.

Windows 7 is great for the end user though, but overall im still an XP fan due to the better performance and more open OS.

But if you don't know much about computers go for it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Xzi said:
Sebenko said:
I have windows XP and 7.

Do it. I've had no problems, and by dual booting XP and 7, I can switch OSes and keep all my old files.

Desktop seems a little clunkier, but games run faster.
I reject your clunky desktop opinion:

Full size image: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8526/dekstopl.jpg
A fine demonstration of gratutious amounts of Rainmeter. I personally use the Enigma skin combined with RocketDock on my old jalopy. Nothing special, but trumps having piles of icons.

On topic: While I'm still on XP, there are a few DirectX 10+ only games (most notable recent one being Just Cause 2), and pretty much all reports suggest that 7 > Vista. So, yeah.

Hudson1

Aug 19, 2009
Yes upgrade to Windows 7. Vista sucked, however 7 is pretty stable and works rather well.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
mxfox408 said:
Is it safe to come out of my Windows XP shelter yet? LoL i was wondering what fellow pc gamers could say if I should upgrade or not. I held off on Vista cause well I heard it blew balls. so I was wondeing If I should upgrade to windows 7 and which version would be good? Im currently Running windows XP Professional.
Already have a DirectX10 or 11 card, then yes certainly. If not, wait with the upgrade until you get a DirectX 11 card (or a new PC with one). The OS is certainly a lot better than XP, but I wouldn't call it must have unless you have the hardware to take advantage of it.

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
The_Deleted said:
Does it run ROME :Total War... cus vista is shocking.
Did I get the only known copy of vista that works? I don't think it has ever crashed on me and it even runs ROME: Total war fine.

I think the people complaining that vista crashes every 10 minutes or whatever should learn to look after a pc a bit better.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I was wondering about this too since i'm getting myself a laptop soon. It's not a gaming laptop, i'm only going to play classic games like Baldurs Gate series and Fallout but i heard Windows 7 causes some problems.

CovertCell

Nov 4, 2009
I got the free upgrade to 7 ages ago and love it, certainly worth it and the upgrade took hardly any time at all and it's easy.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Windows 7 is Vista minus some of the shity bits.

The GUI is still vile though, get a different shell (Or Windowblinds) as a matter of urgency.

Oh and disable Libraries - your not dumb enough to need it unless you can't remember your file system structure.

Disable UAC as well, that shit is annoying as fuck still.

Also burn Homegroup unless you really need it.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
XP is a lot less resource intensive. IF you have XP, the requirements needed to run the games is quite a bit less.
If you have a modern computer, it isn't much of an issue. If you (like me) don't care about the Direct X11 differences, don't bother.

Save that $150 and buy some games instead.

Personally, I dual-boot XP and PC Linux OS (A version of Linux, if you couldn't tell). XP for games, Linux for everything else. Having the Linux means I don't need anti-virus on Windows which gives me more free hardware that would otherwise be used on the AV programs (Which can be quite a bit, depending on which AV program you have).

roguetrooper96

Feb 26, 2010
I'm kind of iffy on this subject, because on the one hand you get some of the best graphics available (on windows OS's... lol) but on the other hand I can't find a good game with a map editor that works (if someone could recommend a good map editor that works (NOT THE SIMS!!!!!) I would really really really... (2 hours later) appreciate it, thanx)

Zwilorg

Sep 11, 2008
Windows 7 is awesome m8 ^^ got it since RC and never looked back :S

i have linux and xp as virtual SO thought only to run a few progs i need!

to have the best experience on W7 install:

VirtuaWin (virtual desktops are very good for multiple windows)

Fences (desktop icone clean up)

Dropbox (files sharing between multiple pc you own and friends!)

excellent programs and very good reviews between critics and users

if you want more information search on youtube for videos about them ;)

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Vista was awful. I'm running 7 on both my PC and laptop and they work great.