(PC Gamers)Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
If you have 4 or more GB ram, and decent video card, yes. Go for Win7 and go for 64bit edition right away. There is no excuse not to. So far had no problems with win7 after the years of struggle with Vista. And it looks shiny too.

pSY'oniK

Jun 23, 2010
Well I am runing on Vista *grabs the vegetables tossed at him and gets himself a bunny-rabbit salad* and I like it just better than 7... a lot say 7 is the better OS but when it came out and tried it out for about .... 3 days... i felt like i received a number of diseases imported straight from some laboratory in ... i dunno it just sucked. It had troubles with getting both my vid-cards right (as in it would recognize only one...) and yes it was fully update and all that lovely stuff... sides even after 10-15 games of HoN i couldnt get quicker load times than on Vista. My specs are pretty run-of-the-mill with a phenom tri-core (cpus for poor people), 2 gigs of ram and my lovely lovely 9800GTX oc.... so... yeah... its really up to you honestly. I'd try both as soon as you upgrade, check it out and bench it on several games and then just weight out which one suits you more. As for the buginess of vista, well i've been runing Vista sp1 for 2 years i think without any glitches...

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
bassdrum said:
Windows 7 is basically just Vista, but with the bugs fixed
So you mean completely re-done, with the exception of the way it looks?

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Awake- said:
Hey everyone seems to like Windows 7. Hmm, I wasn't expecting that.
some of the kinks have been worked out and have made it tolerable.

I upgraded to a new machine a couple of weeks ago and went from XP Pro to Win7, I don't regret it....yet. >>

Win7 makes it easier for me to tab out of games but stay "aware" of my situation within the games a lot easier than XP did. That being said, if you have the machine, I'd upgrade. [footnote]I'm running the 64 version with an ATI HD video card, 8 gigs (16 gig potential)and 1tb drive, so my games don't even burp when I'm multitasking.[/footnote]

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
gl1koz3 said:
Windows 7 is a minor revision of Vista (mostly UI). They're both good enough.
Windows 7 isn't just a "minor revision" of vista, yeah its built on the same tech, but its completely redone, its got the functionality of vista with the efficiency of xp. If it were just a "minor revision" 7 would still be as heavy on the hardware as vista is.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Compared to Vista, Windows 7 is brilliant.

However between XP and 7, the only thing I'd say 7 has in its favor are the looks.

I'm using 7, its mostly ok but some options accessible in XP are now incredibly frustrating to modify in 7 since it goes with the assumption that the user is always a rookie in handling PCs.
In terms of routine use, yeah ... 7 is good.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Windows 7 is extremely efficient and system friendly. I would highly recommend it for gaming. It's use of resources is fantastic.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
I think it is still kinda early to say I have encountered a few problems that weren't beyond fixable but were certainly a pain in the ass.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
TheComedown said:
gl1koz3 said:
Windows 7 is a minor revision of Vista (mostly UI). They're both good enough.
Windows 7 isn't just a "minor revision" of vista, yeah its built on the same tech, but its completely redone, its got the functionality of vista with the efficiency of xp. If it were just a "minor revision" 7 would still be as heavy on the hardware as vista is.
There's just nothing "completely redone" in it. In my software engineering career, I have yet to find a difference, aside from the UI in it. Nevertheless, internal version numbers speak for themselves: Windows 7: Version 6.1.7600

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I am just backing up my docs and important programs before I install win 7. I got the Student offer where I got 64 bit 7 Pro for £30 :0, just never got round to installing it.
I've had a Dx 10 capable card for the past 4 years now, but never used it.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i think vista gets a bit of a bad rap and when it came out it was bad but now its passable and windows 7 on my fathers computer is not the great saviour people make it out to be

however back on topic if you are building a whole new machine defiantly upgrade windows has stopped supporting XP so its has some security problems though if you have some old games you will want to keep your old machine since some of the games i have don't run on 7 at all but run great on vista and XP

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No of course not keep using the same OS for another decade I'[m sure that won't cause any problems with gaming /sarcasm
Windows 7 improves Vista. Apparently no one seems to know this and thinks windows 7 dropped down from heaven to kill Vista and eradicate its source code from the planet, but whatever. As always, I suggest you update your computer from any technology over 5 years old, like XP.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
If you have XP then go ahead. Actually you will have better performance in some games. Make sure you get the 64 -bit version though, it's the future.. (waves his hands over)