(PC Gamers)Should I upgrade to Windows 7?

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
I personally had very little to complain about with Vista 64-bit but then I was always running it on stupidly powerful PCs and don't recall wanting to run older games etc on the OS.

I'm now running win7 Ultimate 64 bit and do think it's a lot better though. I have not run any sort of tests/benchmarks to prove it but it does seem faster for games on all the systems I've installed it on. I have run older software on it just fine. Really like it.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I would say watch out. Since it's built from Vista 64-bit, it still has compatibility problems. I would be hesitant about it.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
Get Windows 7 when your computer gives up. Windows XP is solid proof that Microsoft indeed CAN make a VERY good OS, but 7 is their best one so far. If your XP install works without problems, keep at it. Just keep any eye on the nasty stuff, alright?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
If you are going to do that, you'll need a decent amount of RAM, from what I understand.

4 GB, if I've read up correctly.
Ram is pretty cheap now, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
I'd say go with windows seven. I still have Vista and it's not all that good. It doesn't crash every minute, but it's glitchy and slow.

garlicncow

May 6, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
I only once regretted installing Windows 7 and that was when I realized I couldn't play Exteel anymore due to compatibility problems with its DRM. Still, it's a wonderful system. If you have the computer to run it then I fully recommend it.
THAT'S WHAT IT WAS!?!?! well that answers that question.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
If you are going to do that, you'll need a decent amount of RAM, from what I understand.

4 GB, if I've read up correctly.
Ram is pretty cheap now, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Windows 7 has a lower memory requirement than Vista does, in practice.

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
There is no reason why you shouldn't have 7. 7 is superior in every way.

(I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just really like 7!)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Yes, but stay far, far away from 64-bit.

Even the Source engine crashes all the time on it. Yes, it can run faster in some situations, but there are a load of applications which won't even start until you get a 64-bit patch for them.

Hudson1

Aug 19, 2009
Yes, I would definitely upgrade to Windows 7. Unless you have very specific software that requires Windows XP for compatibility (and DOSBOX doesn't work) there is absolutely no reason not to upgrade.

Hudson1

Aug 19, 2009
Tharwen said:

Even the Source engine crashes all the time on it. Yes, it can run faster in some situations, but there are a load of applications which won't even start until you get a 64-bit patch for them.
There is nothing wrong with the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and there is no reason (aside from specific personal compatibility issues) that you should not be using it. If you are having crashes on your O/S I would recommend a hardware diagnostic and possible restore, I have been running 64-bit since it launched and have had very few issues with it and none that could be 100% directed toward the version of the O/S and not a general Windows issue.

The only reason not to run 64-bit is if you have very specific software that is not 64-bit compatible.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Hudson1 said:
Tharwen said:

There is nothing wrong with the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and there is no reason (aside from specific personal compatibility issues) that you should not be using it. If you are having crashes on your O/S I would recommend a hardware diagnostic and possible restore, I have been running 64-bit since it launched and have had very few issues with it and none that could be 100% directed toward the version of the O/S and not a general Windows issue.

The only reason not to run 64-bit is if you have very specific software that is not 64-bit compatible.
Heh. I posted that over a year ago.

I don't think that way any more. I love my 64-bit PC :)