PC Glove Controller "Peregrine" Ships

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PC Glove Controller "Peregrine" Ships

Control in PC gaming may have just gotten much easier, or stayed relatively the same depending on how well a new glove peripheral works.

The Peregrine [http://theperegrine.com/] has been around for a while, but just now started shipping to customers. For those that haven't heard of it before, the Peregrine is a PC controller that is worn on the hand like a glove. In fact, it basically is a glove.

Based on most of the videos and the FAQ on the controller's website, the Peregrine seems to have been developed with the RTS gamer in mind. It uses touch points on the thumb, palm, and along each finger that allow for 30 programmable actions to be triggered, such as unit abilities in Warcraft III. Supposedly, it can also be used for non-gaming applications like Photoshop with a little customization.

I'm not a big RTS player, so I'm more interested in the glove's use for games like Bioshock or Bejeweled. After a lifetime of gaming, pain and uncomfortable feelings in my hands and wrists are now the norm, so it would be great if a controller could allow for less pain to be involved with my unstoppable gaming habit. Its uses as a general computer controller to replace the keyboard, or as an addition to it, are also intriguing.

The idea of the Peregrine certainly gives me the feeling of being part of Fred Savage and crew as they visited that kid that played Rad Racer with the power glove in The Wizard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfyxWhwia90], but watching it in motion doesn't really give me an idea of how well it works. This may be one of those things that must be tried to get the full picture. The problem there is that it costs $149.99, and I don't have that many spare clams lying around to try out something new despite my hefty salary from being someone that writes on the internet.

The following video shows how the Peregrine is used while playing Warcraft III. Does this look like something that will change PC gaming? For all we know, the Peregrine could be the next mouse, but probably not at its current price point. It can be purchased through its official website.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly an intresting device. I can see how it could make RTS a lot more involving...

It would be great if this could be used in other games too!

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Hey it's the one working powerglove.

OT: It seems interesting, but I would have a hard time remembering the different motions I'm supposed to be doing for it to work well.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I'd be willing to give it ago, mmm maybe in a few revisions or until after the reviews come out, I do love me some RTS.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
And you almost got me as well. Bet you feel absolutely crushed now that I've seen through your crafty ploy.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
That looks prety cool.
I hope it isn't an April Fools joke.
[sup]Especially since it's now the second day of April...[/sup]

Saerain

Mar 24, 2009
The Peregine isn't an April Fools' joke. It's been around for quite a while.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Saerain said:
Indeed I've seen talk about it for the last couple weeks highly doubt this is a April fools prank.

Also I want it to bad its so expensive though.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
HontooNoNeko said:
Saerain said:
Indeed I've seen talk about it for the last couple weeks highly doubt this is a April fools prank.

Also I want it to bad its so expensive though.
If it's an April Fools joke it's one that also steals your money via paypal. I'm relatively sure it's not...

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
If it's an April Fools joke it's one that also steals your money via paypal. I'm relatively sure it's not...
Well, then that would make it a memorable April Fools joke?

Actually I think this device is interesting--probably the most interesting alternate control device than controller/keyboard/mouse and seems more easier to pick up than motion control or Natal. The price would need to go down for me, but I'm intrigued in how this device may work for other games. Something like an FPS might be handy as hot-keying all weapon buttons to would be more efficient then stretching over a keyboard, or this may work great for "Torchlight".

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
It's so-
Treblaine said:
I Love the Peregrine...

... it's so bad.
Goddamnit.
Ahem, it doesn't honestly look that amazing; an interesting novelty, but not terribly useful for anything in particular. I'll pass.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Quite literally, "It's so bad." I don't see how that helps at all. It seems cumbersome to curl your hand up mid-game, seems completely backwards.

And $150? NO ONE WILL USE IT.