PC Glove Controller "Peregrine" Ships

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I've tried similar devices at a research centre for accessibility, although they also included motion sensors to transfer all keyboard and mouse functions to one hand (for ppl who lack a hand/arm). The motion part was horrible, but after replacing gestures with eye-following lasers the interface worked great. You simply looked and clicked.

Having touchpoints on your finger joints is actually very intuitive, it feels like you have four layers of three keys, and then a bunch more in your palm. You can also use the thumb-joint for right-clicks on the fingers. I don't know if the Peregrine works the same way, but really there are only so many ways you can touch your joints on the same hand. 30 keys on the Peregrine would mean you can touch the side of you index finger by the lowest joint as well (but reaching with the alternate would be very difficult), the device I tried had 29.

At a lower price, I'd consider getting one. Although you would have to customize all your UIs heavily. That means not-Windows (or some serious development effort from a windows programmer) and restricted gaming. Since I'm an "expert" Linux/BSD user that's not a problem for me, but I have doubts on the general usability of this kind of device on current software.

Besides, it looks more like something out of of Lawnmower Man than made by Nintenfluke@90s (alb. being from 89 -- more than 20 years too early it seems).

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Very cool concept but I personally would be unable to use it effectively. It confuses me far too much, and besides I'm more of a clicker rather than a hotkey user anyways. But kudos for the awesome idea.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
If Natal had a wireless pair of these it might actually be awesome. Full body and fine gesture control. Seems like a nice peice of kit but being chained to the PC looks irritating and I think gloves would have be capable of replacing mouse and keyboard before I bought one. all it would take is a motion sensing right glove and a squishy ball as a clicker.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Meh - it seems more work than a keyboard with less functionality. Its not like we're lacking in keys to map controls too, and remembering 30 hand movements seems trickier than 30 buttons.

I'm not really seeing the benefits.

Malcheior Sveth

Jul 19, 2009
I couldn't resist ordering one, if only because being able to remap at least half of my hotkeys for stuff like Aion/GW to the glove would be really nice. Once you use up half of your keyboard buttons but still need to use a mouse hitting some of the ctrl/alt+ stuff can get awkward.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
DO NOT WANT. WHile this is interesting, i dont see it replacing my keyboard since its just as effective and cheaper.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I still fail to see, how the movements he makes in this specific case, is easier than the ones usign the keyboard hotkeys, now i know some dota hereos have retarded hotkeys, but still... pressing a single button on the keyboard is just as easy as pressing your fingers together.

I think action games would eb able to benefit more from this than RTS, but ofc RTS is where you get to show off most, cause it usually requires most buttons.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
teisjm said:
I still fail to see, how the movements he makes in this specific case, is easier than the ones usign the keyboard hotkeys, now i know some dota hereos have retarded hotkeys, but still... pressing a single button on the keyboard is just as easy as pressing your fingers together.

I think action games would eb able to benefit more from this than RTS, but ofc RTS is where you get to show off most, cause it usually requires most buttons.
You have to be smart how you bind the keys. Its definitely easier to tap fingers together than it is to push modifier keys (ctr, alt, shift) and another key. Since you can bind those directly.

The point is how close can 30 keys be placed and hit on keyboard versus just tapping. If you're only using 1-5 keys and you don't have "travel" problems and miss keys, then 150 dollars is not worth it. Get creative since its an HID compliant device, it can be used for a lot of neat things.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Xersues said:
teisjm said:

You have to be smart how you bind the keys. Its definitely easier to tap fingers together than it is to push modifier keys (ctr, alt, shift) and another key. Since you can bind those directly.

The point is how close can 30 keys be placed and hit on keyboard versus just tapping. If you're only using 1-5 keys and you don't have "travel" problems and miss keys, then 150 dollars is not worth it. Get creative since its an HID compliant device, it can be used for a lot of neat things.
Still, how steady do you hold your hand if it's just there? i'd waste so much mana casting spelsl i didn't wanna cast cause i accidently moved my hands. i tend to move my hands around alot.

In HoN, which is literally DOtA remade, you have your spells on QWER, item hotkeys on alt+QWEASD, and thats basicly what you'll be using, thats why i think DotA is a poor example, caus ethe only reason it might help there, is cause teh hotkeys are shit, cause Eul/Guinsoo/icefrog choose them based on letters in the skill-names rather than just use QWER.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
jacx said:
reminds me of the minority report
My thoughts exactly, lol. Either way, even if it doesn't catch on its kinda cool to see people try and take things a step up.