PC guy wondering about Macs

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
No, not for me. I have an Alienware.

My sister is going to a school next year for video editing or something (terrible school choice btw), and she says she NEEDS to have a Mac for school. I really do not know why it is such a necessity. Anyway, I started looking at the Apple website for computers and oh your god, they are expensive. And that's coming from someone who bought an m15x.

So why are Macs so special? Looking at the website, they can do literally everything a PC can do, but they aren't a PC? They "never crash" even though crashes are usually software based, and if you are running the same software as a PC, I fail to see the logic in that statement. I really do not want to here the reason of "they do different things." Mainly because they don't. There is really no special must-have-or-die software on Macs that aren't in CS4. The only difference really is the OS.

Also, my sister is a bit dumb, and follows trends really easy. And I'm sure the school being heavy on Macs is just her excuse to "be cool" with a Mac.

Please don't turn this into a hardcore flame war, even though I already piled gasoline next to kindling. I would really like some good information here.

Update: Apparently it is required for her to have. I have never heard of a college requiring you to buy anything except books. Especially requiring you to buy a computer, especially a Mac.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
These days you've got loads of editing / graphical programs for both Mac and Windows. So only if she HAS to run some programs that ONLY runs on a Mac, buy a Mac. Otherwise she should get a Windows PC and go on vacation with the remaining cash she saved ;)

KdS_22

Bada Bing! Wit' A Pipe!
Dec 9, 2009
Well I was told that I HAD to have a Mac for a program that my university used in their engineering course (I ended up changing majors anyways), but thankfully I was able to sidestep the cost issue through a technology grant scholarship :) Maybe the professor of one of her courses uses a Mac only program? Though I would see that as incredibly dumb. Or, like you suggested, the school may have just suggested a Mac and she thinks it's a good opportunity to get a "cool" computer. (I have both Mac and PC, btw, and I really have no preference between the two)

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
-IT- said:
These days you've got loads of editing / graphical programs for both Mac and Windows. So only if she HAS to run some programs that ONLY runs on a Mac, buy a Mac. Otherwise she should get a Windows PC and go on vacation with the remaining cash she saved ;)
That's what I was thinking, thanks. I think I'll have to talk to the school. And it wouldn't be her money anyways. I'm trying to save my mom some money. I bought my $2200 m15x for myself, in cash. If she's getting a Mac its going to be that little 13"er for $1200, and that would be a waste. Or she can just use the schools facilities, because that's what tuition pays for.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
It's probably true that she could survive with a PC, but the fact of the matter is that macs are the industry standard for "video editing or something." Yes, the OS is different; that difference is what makes macs generally accepted as better for this use than Windows.

Additionally, it's true that macs "never crash" in the same way that PCs do. Software issues will crash the application that has the issue, but you'll never get a major error that will require a reboot like you will with Windows.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
She doesn't NEED a mac she just WANTS one. You can do editing on both even if mac is the one the industry uses more.

KarlixLV

Apr 29, 2010
Well the industry standart for lower level video editing is Final Cut Pro which is Macs only afaik so she is right in one way. However overall still just might be a victim of trends. :)

AlanShore

Nov 26, 2009
Cody211282 said:
She doesn't NEED a mac she just WANTS one. You can do editing on both even if mac is the one the industry uses more.
Exactly this.

Unless she is required to use software that is only available on Mac there is no real value in buying one. Even if that is the case, I'm sure the school will have labs full of Macs she can use anyway. There's just too much of a premium on Apple hardware to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
Firewire is built in. Final Cut Pro, also the truecolour screen reflects more realworld output.

Plus they are just plain damn pretty.

Outside of that you are completely right.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
KarlixLV said:
Well the industry standart for lower level video editing is Final Cut Pro which is Macs only afaik so she is right in one way. However overall still just might be a victim of trends. :)
This was my exact thought. I have a friend going into film, and this is the main reason they bought a mac. Not to mention the screen is really nice as others have said.

Having a macbook myself, they are very nice, although a bit costly. In my opinion, for the laptop end, this would be my first pick. If she is looking at a desktop, I would recommend a PC unless it is specifically for Final Cut.

Feb 13, 2008
PC users are kit-builders, Macs are comfort-builders. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If she's just computer literate, I'd recommend a Mac in the same way I'd recommend an iPhone. It's just simple to use/abuse.

If she wants to learn though, PC all the way.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Macs anymore are just for trendy assholes and people who are just that impressionable.

Yeah, by all means if there's a good justification get one. My brother's in Law School so when his laptop is down he needs it back up and running ASAP. When my bro's mac book's wifi card died they took his laptop, popped out the hard drive, put it in another one and took his old case into the shop for repairs.

But beyond that I can find few, very few reasons to actually buy a macbook.

Uncle Chaos

Nov 18, 2009
pc or mac?: it depends on what software shes using.

I've always edited video on PC- there are arguments for using both, but i prefer the PC. I use adobe premier pro and After effets and there seem to bee way more plugins and shortcuts for speeding up workflow on the PC.

Emberwolf

Mar 7, 2010
I've used both for different parts of my degree- Macs for audio design because we HAD to use Pro Tools and Logic, PCs for After Effects and 3d modelling/animation. I've got PCs myself but can see the appeal of Macs.
But yeah- it's all down to deciding if the expense of a Macbook would actually be justified. If it's going to be used a LOT for a mac-specific thing, then obviously it's a good choice.

Oh, and I have seen a Mac crash no less than twice in the same 3-hour session. Friend of mine just seems to make them want to explode.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Jirlond said:
Firewire is built in.
My m15x and my moms Studio 15 both have Firewire. Next case.

Final Cut Pro
At this point in time, I'm sure there is an equivalent to FCP on PC. If there isn't I'm sure there is a crack for it.

the truecolour screen reflects more realworld output.
There's only so many colors, and 16.7 million is that number put out by most LCD monitors. Plus who could really tell the difference? Is it THAT much better??

Plus they are just plain damn pretty.
urrrrgh...

Outside of that you are completely right.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
PC users are kit-builders, Macs are comfort-builders. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If she's just computer literate, I'd recommend a Mac in the same way I'd recommend an iPhone. It's just simple to use/abuse.

If she wants to learn though, PC all the way.
We've only ever had PCs though. That's what she knows. For her it would be a learing curve of several months.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
CORRODED SIN said:
Oh boy, I was going to come in here and support my PC brethren until I saw you have an AlienWare.

Damn, and I had my anti-mac speech all lined up and ready to go.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:

My sister is going to a school next year for video editing or something (terrible school choice btw), and she says she NEEDS to have a Mac for school. I really do not know why it is such a necessity. Anyway, I started looking at the Apple website for computers and oh your god, they are expensive. And that's coming from someone who bought an m15x.

So why are Macs so special? Looking at the website, they can do literally everything a PC can do, but they aren't a PC? They "never crash" even though crashes are usually software based, and if you are running the same software as a PC, I fail to see the logic in that statement. I really do not want to here the reason of "they do different things." Mainly because they don't. There is really no special must-have-or-die software on Macs that aren't in CS4. The only difference really is the OS.

Also, my sister is a bit dumb, and follows trends really easy. And I'm sure the school being heavy on Macs is just her excuse to "be cool" with a Mac.

Please don't turn this into a hardcore flame war, even though I already piled gasoline next to kindling. I would really like some good information here.
In all honesty she'll need both.
I do a lot of audio work and some software works better on PC's and some works better on Macs. Its annoying as some aren't even for PC's entirely and vice versa, but that's just the way it is.
As far as preference? I prefer the mac because it has Logic Studio Pro, which is my favourite software, and PC doesn't.

For her, it comes down to what software she is running.
If she has no clue than let her get whatever she wants really. Its her money and if she's not gonna do the research then it is her problem right?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
When it comes to video editing schools usually choose Mac's for final cut pro, nothing to do with hardware.

[link]http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/[/link]

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Oh boy, I was going to come in here and support my PC brethren until I saw you have an AlienWare.

Damn, and I had my anti-mac speech all lined up and ready to go.
I got my Alienware because I didn't get the money to go to the school I got accepted to back in 2008 when Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were in the shitter. That's the only reason, otherwise I was going to just get a stock PC. So let's hear this anti-Mac speech, I'll need it.