PC Release Of No Man's Sky Not Definite

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
PC Release Of No Man's Sky Not Definite

The visually stunning and extremely ambitious No Man's Sky might only be coming to the PlayStation 4.

No Man's Sky stole the show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135811-Evolve-No-Mans-Sky-Take-Top-E3-Game-Critics-Honors] at this year's E3. The upcoming science fiction title from Hello Games is the brainchild of Sean Murray, the managing director of the modest indie developer based in Guildford, UK. Gameplay features planetary exploration intertwined with survival elements set in "an infinite procedurally generated universe". Its ambitions are great, and its promises even greater.

Currently only confirmed for a PS4 release, the possibility of a PC version has seemingly become somewhat unsure in the past few days. In an interview during E3 with Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Murray said, "Basically we're doing a console debut on PS4. That's all we're saying right now. But that leaves open a PC version, which we really want to do." With that said, the question of when such a release might happen was never definitively answered, and Murray stressed that an announcement hadn't actually been made.

Shortly after the interview, RPS contacted Hello Games in an attempt to clear the air. The response he received was a little ambiguous.

No Man's Sky isn't contractually obligated to be a PS4 exclusive. However, the team is worried the IP might become bloated and that creative potential might be stifled if divided between two different versions. Because the game is still far from being complete, Hello Games isn't sure how much that would limit how well it could work on a PS4 and a PC release at the same time. Until they can anticipate being capable of doing such, they don't want to announce anything.

Of course, with the possibility of a PC release also comes talk of implementing mod support. "We don't know yet whether we'll allow mods or provide tools to support them," said Hello's Alex Wiltshire. "Our focus, though, is on features that support what for us the game is about - exploring a vast universe. That might inherently involve mods - we'll know more as we continue making the game."

Which would you buy- PS4 or PC? Let us know by commenting below!

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/no-mans-sky-pc-release/]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
oh well, if they don't want my money thats fine they don't have t o release it on PC.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, as a relatively wee developer, they know best what they can handle. If they do a rushed port or no PC release at all, it'll be deeply disappointing, though, because this game looks like it'd play swimmingly on a PC.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can respect the decisions they are making. The game is sounding ambitious enough just on it's own without the relatively small developer having to worry about both console and PC versions at this point. I have little doubt it will eventually come out on PC but I think they're making the right move in getting it right the first time before they engage any further.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Understandable for a small developer, I can also understand that they might be a little nervous about throwing their hat into the ring with two space ship game Gods David Braben and Chris Roberts as they duke it out with each other on the PC.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Pretty much what was said above. Combining the fact that Star Citizen is probably one of the more anticipated titles on PC at the moment, with the fact that the development team is incredibly tiny, given the scope of what they are attempting, stretching themselves out by trying to work on two platforms at once probably wouldn't be the best idea. I would be seriously surprised if a PC version never emerged, but in all likelihood any additional platforms will be developed after the initial release, rather than simultaneously. However, the fact that they've not even announced that for certain suggest that they're still balancing the scales, trying to figure out what they can do without damaging the quality of the final product.

Captcha; Run The Gauntlet. Yup. That's pretty much what a simultaneous multi-platform release would be.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Barbas said:
Well, as a relatively wee developer, they know best what they can handle. If they do a rushed port or no PC release at all, it'll be deeply disappointing, though, because this game looks like it'd play swimmingly on a PC.
If a rushed port is the case, I won't be disappointed if they allow the modding wizards to fix their game. Let them have it and they'll make it playable.

A rushed port is unforgivable for a AAA developer, but for someone with limited staff, I'll allow it so long as they let the PC mod squad do its work. That's also the problem of AAA developers, they don't let that squad do it's work if the port is shit.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It makes sense not to release it for the pc, I mean you know how little pc gamers like space games.

>.>

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Space sims are about to explode again in popularity, they would be stupid to turn down all that money.

I'm not buying a console to play a game, just like Journey developers who don't want my money either.

Article said:
No Man's Sky isn't contractually obligated to be a PS4 exclusive. However, the team is worried the IP might become bloated and that creative potential might be stifled if divided between two different versions.
Does this sound very not right to anyone else?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
If this ends up being the case, I guess they just missed out on a day-one sale from me. This game looks absolutely stunning, but I have no other reason or interesting in getting a PS4 as it currently is. If this eventually game out for PC or WiiU, then it's a definite buy. If for XBone... maybe since it has a couple other titles that have piqued my interest (but that's a very hard maybe). Hope this changes, but if not, I wish them all the best.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I may disagree with myself some time down the road but right now I do not care. What I've seen of No Man's Sky is nothing more than a simple game using color saturation to appeal to the easily impressed art crowd.

Apr 28, 2008
Considering it's a team of like 4 people (I think) I can totally understand focusing on one platform at a time. So more power too 'em hope it succeeds and they put it out on to more platforms.

Plus I have a PS4 and gaming PC so really I'm set either way :D

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Hahahahaha, oh my *wipes tear* you guys crack me up Hello. This is why I bought Joe Danger on release on PC. You guys are such good and humorous devs. Trolling everyone by saying you're ignoring the platform where space sims are thriving beyond belief. Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, and the like showing that if a developer shows passion and needs funding for a good idea it will come. The platform where even a game with huge problems like X-Rebirth can thrive. Instead you fool everyone by saying you're ignoring all that for you to focus on a new console with a limited number of users let alone people interested in space sims. Golden.

Wait.

Wait, you're serious?

You surely are just showing it off only on PS4 because you're contractually obligated to ignore the fact that the pc version will release first and then be ported like a lot of indie games on PS4, right?

No?

Oh my...

In that case, let me laugh harder. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
"However, the team is worried the IP might become bloated and that creative potential might be stifled if divided between two different versions."

that makes 0 sense

creative potential? what?

man, is it just me, or these guys' heads have grown like 3 times their size ever since this game was showcased? first they are just ano more indie dev out there, but now they are all like secretive and tantalizing? if they dont want to release it on PC fine, i want the game but hey, tough luck, but give us a stright answer, cut the damn chase

"not at launch"
"not ever"
"simultaneous luch with the PS4 version"

all valid answers, enough with the "kinda, maybe, who knows", they were hope their game turns out really good, anything else and they might end up being the laughing stock of the indie scene

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
As long as it's on PS4, I'm happy. I know it's selfish, but as a console player all of my favorite games are either stuck on a previous generation and/or far inferior to their PC version. With Destiny and No Man's Sky, my little black rumbling box will finally start breaking even.

That said, do we have a release date on this game yet? I've never been so worried about randomly dying and missing the future.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Apparently 6 guys after the shit they went through can't seem to catch a break or be allowed to catch one as told by a few random angered forum users, go figure.

Meanwhile I'll remain patient and just wait it out, I'm doing it for the XB1 and for the Wii U before years end so I can do it for this.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
Oh come on now Hello games don't be like that, I'm sure you can have your game for the PC. Prioritize outright for the PS4 first if you must then focus on PC, I can wait as long as possible if it means it will be on PC.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I can only imagine the kinds of mods this game would see. Welcome to planet Boner discovered by DankNugs69. Key features include the towering dickasaurs and 16 breasted centauresses with MLP cutie marks.

Or maybe there will be a planet full of hamsters with tiny hats eating tiny burritos.

Either way, I'm kind of glad that PS4 will be the main version for now. Even though it means I won't be able to play it.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Seems somewhat odd, but I suppose when looking at what platform would bring in more big bucks, in addition to really souring Sony if they cut the PS4 version (especially if Sony gave them help of any kind which wouldn't be surprising) they went with the PS4 as a result.
No big conspiracy involved in the matter, just business and its sad how many people will hate them for it because "oh golly its not coming to my platform, better hate the devs for the rest of my life".

As for the game...maybe I'll buy it...maybe wait for its inevitable arrival on PS+.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The problem with this for me is that this game is not a system seller. I'll buy multiple space games on my platform of choice(PC), but I'm not necessarily willing to buy multiple platforms to play all the space games. This isn't to say that I won't eventually get a PS4; I might if there are enough exclusives I want to warrant the purchase, and if I do, I will certainly pick up No Man's Sky if it hasn't come to PC by then. But as much as this game interests me, it isn't enough to make me want a PS4.

That and space games with Oculus Rift support will take priority in any case.