PC Release Of No Man's Sky Not Definite

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I have little doubt this game will land itself on PC. They wanted to make an optimum version first and they chose PS4. I can deal with that.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
They're probably gonna do what Rockstar did: deny a PC release so they can maximize console sales. A PC version will almost definitely come out later.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
The title seems misleading, as the article makes it seem like the only thing up in the air is whether or not they'll release within similar time frames. Considering they have to make it for the PS4, it would be questionable for such a small team to sink heavy resources into a PC version if they don't even have the base game done. It'd be cool to see a PC release, but since this is an indie studio, making a rushed PC port could also lead to an overall rushed game. I say focus all resources now on getting the game done, then worrying about any extraneous platforms to support.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Nurb said:
Article said:
No Man's Sky isn't contractually obligated to be a PS4 exclusive. However, the team is worried the IP might become bloated and that creative potential might be stifled if divided between two different versions.
Does this sound very not right to anyone else?
They could have worded that better. I'm pretty sure what they're trying to say is that the team is small ,and they'd rather focus on just developing for one platform than stretching work and resources to develop for two at once.

There are plenty of games or series that start out exclusive to a platform but eventually branch out. Since they're not contractually obliged to make a PS4 exclusive game, I reckon it's pretty likely that No Man's Sky will find it's way onto PC (and Xbone too, probably) eventually. It's their game, they can do what they like with it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
(especially if Sony gave them help of any kind which wouldn't be surprising)
I was thinking this as well. They may not be contractually obligated to have the title as PS4 exclusive, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they at least feel morally obligated to stick with Sony in the near future due to promised promotion and offered assistance.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
At present, I can only play it if it's for PC. It would be a shame if it turned out to be PS4 only; it seems like a smaller potential audience for a game that could have a long purchase cycle. But I do understand how small the team is and that they may have to limit their ambition.

Joe Danger made it to PC; hopefully, NMS will, too, even if it takes longer.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Rozalia1 said:
(especially if Sony gave them help of any kind which wouldn't be surprising)
I was thinking this as well. They may not be contractually obligated to have the title as PS4 exclusive, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they at least feel morally obligated to stick with Sony in the near future due to promised promotion and offered assistance.
I'd think anyone would tbh after what they suffered and if I was them and Sony offered the assistance I'd be more than thankful and happy to work with them more in the future.

It's like how Insomniac went with Microsoft because Sony wanted to keep and obtain the IP for Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac said no and wanted to keep it because it was theirs (apparently they spent years making this thing a reality) and so that would take them to an impasse until Microsoft stepped in and would fund them for it and let them keep their IP so in the end Insomniac was more than happy with that idea and went with MS on it, meaning Sony made a loss on the because they wanted to keep it from them and yet make more money with it, I can see why when given money and assistance people will in turn be more than happy to work with the one offering in the future or currently, I believe the guys behind NMS made the right choice and decision because Space games are already exploding anyway, consoles don't really seem to be getting much of any gain from the explosion coming from PC so them having NMS first is a good start.

Also them not diverting all their attention to two different platforms means they could make the console version great for the console folk without screwing them too much while eventually working on the PC version and hopefully spreading to the XB1, I'd love if they gave the WIi U a shot because of the tablet functionality.

I will say though that I'm not a major fan of some peoples advice of suggesting they release it on PC first and let modders fix it because that implies we'd all be universally fine with personal modder preferences because not every modder designs to a universally acceptable standard and don't exactly make all mod installs painless and simplistic for everyone, maybe some but not 100%.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Considering how big the market for Space Sims is on PC, it'd be rather asinine if they didn't eventually bring it to PC.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Fair enough, with a game this ambitious for a company so small, I'm ok with them releasing it on one platform and then porting it over to PC later. I just want these guys to pull this thing off.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Whilst I would love for No Man's Sky to come out for PC, considering that the dev is a fairly small studio, and seeing as they suffered a fairly devastating flood in their studio, it wouldn't surprise me if the game was a PS4 exclusive at launch. If they can get the resources to port the game to the PC afterwards, then that would be fantastic, but the worst thing that they could do is create a dodgy port or sacrifice the quality of the game for a simultaneous release. I would much rather wait.

On the plus side, at least they have a viable excuse to not bring it to PC, as opposed to Bungie who are apparently just too lazy to port Destiny over, despite having the largest budget of any game ever.

Karnesdorff

Nov 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm okay with this. It's a small developer with an ambitious project. Best to let them get it off the ground on one platform and getting some cash behind them again before worrying about a PC release. Didn't something similar happen with Dark Souls?

And well, if I were them, I doubt I'd be all that keen on releasing my space sim on PC at roughly the same time as Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen either. I expect that, if it gets released at all, there will be a PC version eventually, just not at launch. That's not too bad, if it's good, I can wait.

K.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I would like it on PC for sure but let's be honest this is another one of those DayZ things that will not be content complete until 1-2 years after release, so I am perfectly happy to wait.
Also getting a PC port right is no easy task, even the biggest studios do it wrong half the time.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
How creative potential could become bloated by releasing it on the PC is a mystery for me.

I will only be able to get it for PC, I do not own a PS4 and will not get one because of the handful of exclusives that I might want to try on it.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I don't currently, have a PS4. If I happen to pick one up at some point, I might look at this.

Otherwise, if there's PC port, it won't even cross my radar again. Not like I won't have anything to play with both Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen coming out, both of which I've backed.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
A bit sad that they don't release on the best platform immediately, but I can do without it, so not a huge issue.

SourMilk said:
Or one the most over hyped games in gaming history. When it seems to be a pseudo EVE clone, it cannot be any better than it could've been if it had single player in-mind rather than the opposite

I mean if microtransactions (expensive and limited ones) isn't enough to set off the fire alarms then the whole place has burnt down.
I am sceptical about it and the hype, too. Time will show. Actually I have a better feeling with Elite:Dangerous, seems like it could turn out really fun.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Have no PS4, no intention of getting one. Really not sure this would be nearly as big a hit with the console crowd as with PC.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
That's fair enough.

The game looks excellent. For me it's a straight toss between this and Star Citizen, and I'll probably just end up buying whichever game is released first.