Pedophile Sues Crew of "To Catch A Predator"

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Okay well first off, from that article alone it wasn't mentioned if he even got convicted of pedophillia , so he might even be innocent. I don't really care about what he did though because the fact is as an American citizen he still has rights, this includes the right to sue. If we take his rights away because we believe him to have committed a crime where does it end? We are meant to be a community, not a lynch mob.

Not many people realise what the crew of this show do to get "predators" to come in. They lure, bait, harrass and stalk. The show shouldn't really even exist, in fact I do believe they cancelled it. Many of the "predators" are even found to be innocent of their alledged crime but now face a lifetime of embarressment because they were accused of pedophilia on national television. This has led to divorces, loss of jobs and friends etc. In fact it even sounds like this guy has now lost his job, which I will assume was because of 'To catch a predator'.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
These people are mentally sick and need help. Instead our government allows to socially obliterate them on the air and force them to take birth control pills that only make their "parts" stop working, but leave the desires still there. So you have a bunch of very sexually stressed, erectile dysfunctional, anti social people that are freed later.

And we wonder why they go crazy. I'm not at all trying to defend their actions, but I am saying anyone that would prefer children, to someone more developed clearly has something wrong with them.

Michael Ellis

Jul 12, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
Many of the "predators" are even found to be innocent of their alledged crime but now face a lifetime of embarressment because they were accused of pedophilia on national television. This has led to divorces, loss of jobs and friends etc. In fact it even sounds like this guy has now lost his job, which I will assume was because of 'To catch a predator'.
Oh, those poor, poor guys who were intending to have sex with an underage child! We should comfort their criminal asses, tell them that everything is allright, and that being a child molester is not wrong at all!

Yeah, no. Bleeding-heart liberal bullshit like that is the reason society is in such a sorry state righrt now. The people caught on To Catch a Predator intended to have sex with an underage child, end of story. It's a good thing they were caught on national television, otherwise they could be roaming free right now! In fact, who knows wether any of the "people" caught on the show haven't raped a child before?

If there's a problem with anything, it's that the worst these people seem to get is public humiliation, which in any properly functioning justice-system should merely be the tip of the iceberg.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Jarimir said:
Way to go Chris Hansen for making me feel conflicted about 40 year old men getting 14 year old girls drunk so that they can molest them!
:D

OT: Not much. I think entrapment and pedophiles suck.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Michael Ellis said:
Oh, those poor, poor guys who were intending to have sex with an underage child! We should comfort their criminal asses, tell them that everything is allright, and that being a child molester is not wrong at all!

Yeah, no. Bleeding-heart liberal bullshit like that is the reason society is in such a sorry state righrt now. The people caught on To Catch a Predator intended to have sex with an underage child, end of story. It's a good thing they were caught on national television, otherwise they could be roaming free right now! In fact, who knows wether any of the "people" caught on the show haven't raped a child before?

If there's a problem with anything, it's that the worst these people seem to get is public humiliation, which in any properly functioning justice-system should merely be the tip of the iceberg.
So then convict and punish them if they're guilty but I want to see real evidence and I want a fair trial where he gets to defend himself to a neutral jury. Man, I must be one radical liberal to believe someone's innocent before being proven guilty and wanting to see a fair justice system. I also don't believe in extreme persecution, let them do their time and be done with it but hey, I'm just wacky like that!
Good luck on that lynch mob though, let me know how all the hangings go. What if you hear a rumor someone commited a crime? Or what if a friend of a friend tells you about someone who may or may not have robbed a supermarket? Ahhh who cares, they're probably guilty anyway right? ;)

Sep 14, 2009
magnuslion said:
gmaverick019 said:
ravensheart18 said:
hotsauceman said:
ace_of_something said:
If we haven't met on the escapist. Hi! I'm Thor 10 year police officer and recently appointed Professor of Criminal Justice.
It would be entrapment if while pretending to be the child the police (or chris whoever) said "If you don't come visit me tonight I'll kill myself" Then the guy could say "I wouldn't have showed up. I had no choice the kid was going to kill herself"
That is entrapment.
Im taking a criminal justice class(taught by an officer aswell,a patrol sgt.) and He makes it sound like entrapment is when the police try to force you into a crime, Like the delorean Case.
Im just wondering that is all
If the police entice you into crime, its entrapment. If you initiate and they just go along, it isn't.

It gets messier with those who are not officers of the court but are working with the police, and it will differ by where you live. In this particular case, in Canada I suspect that because the police were participating actively in his TV show, and not just going and busting someone on evidence, it could be strongly argued that the show acted as a agent of law enforcement and thus they would be bound by the same rules as cops - but as I said, that will differ by case and location.

gmaverick019 said:
Hi I'm chris hansen, why don't you have a seat over there...

*pedophile sits down*

your plea is beyond fuck, you were in the attempt of molesting a child/posing as a child to do so. fuck your lawsuit.
That's not how the law works. Even guilty people have rights.

usmarine4160 said:
As far as MSNBC goes I believe this is protected under freedom of the press. You don't want to be publicly humiliated? Don't try to have sex with children!
If the police weren't there you might have an argument, but while working with the police? Sorry, rules change.
i'm pretty sure everyone around knows that...

i'm just saying it in the sense that, he was about to molest. a child. (and don't give me the crap" he didn't do it, you don't know if he would've done it." bullshit, he'd posed as a child and had been planning it to the finest detail to get that child) that those who are clearly guilty like that should be scoffed at for even making the attempt to sue.
thinking about committing a crime, is not a crime. the bottom line was he did not actually molest anyone. when this nation becomes utterly controlled by a Gestapo police force, it is going to be thanks to people like you who are willing to give away more and more of your freedoms and rights in an exchange for the illusion of safety.
yeah there is a difference between randomly being put on the spot, in the heat of a crime in progress, and doing what molesters like on that show did, they pre meditated it for weeks/months, i'm pretty sure if i went around pretending to being one of your cousins/relatives age, then went to their house in attempt to molest them, you'd be pretty fuckin peeved and have had the police at the ready.

so what, would you rather just have the police let the molester have their way with the child/children before they do a damn thing?

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
WeAreStevo said:
Ubermetalhed said:
I guess the entrapment is justified in catching these people although there have been cases of those with no record of felonies with minors who then have their entire lives ruined for making an extremely stupid mistake.
A "stupid mistake" is when I take the wrong book to class.

Purposefully seeking out an underage girl/boy on the internet, soliciting sex, driving to the house (showing intent) and then, and only then, finding out that "Oh noes! It's "To Catch a Predator!" is not a "stupid mistake."
It's not always the case that they were seeking underage kids, often TCAP pose as kids in random forums and entice and initiate the whole thing.

I say some people have their lives ruined publicly when it could just be an extremely regrettable moment of madness. I remember a doctor who had a clean record, had never done anything before like this, had probably saved 100s of peoples lives and was probably the most part a good man and for some idiotic reason got into this and had his whole career destroyed. That is what I'd call an extremely stupid mistake.

Or perhaps it wasn't a mistake, we don't know. There is always two sides to a story even if the crime is extremely serious as in these instances.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
magnuslion said:
gmaverick019 said:
ravensheart18 said:
hotsauceman said:
ace_of_something said:
If we haven't met on the escapist. Hi! I'm Thor 10 year police officer and recently appointed Professor of Criminal Justice.
It would be entrapment if while pretending to be the child the police (or chris whoever) said "If you don't come visit me tonight I'll kill myself" Then the guy could say "I wouldn't have showed up. I had no choice the kid was going to kill herself"
That is entrapment.
Im taking a criminal justice class(taught by an officer aswell,a patrol sgt.) and He makes it sound like entrapment is when the police try to force you into a crime, Like the delorean Case.
If the police entice you into crime, its entrapment. If you initiate and they just go along, it isn't.

It gets messier with those who are not officers of the court but are working with the police, and it will differ by where you live. In this particular case, in Canada I suspect that because the police were participating actively in his TV show, and not just going and busting someone on evidence, it could be strongly argued that the show acted as a agent of law enforcement and thus they would be bound by the same rules as cops - but as I said, that will differ by case and location.

gmaverick019 said:

*pedophile sits down*

your plea is beyond fuck, you were in the attempt of molesting a child/posing as a child to do so. fuck your lawsuit.

usmarine4160 said:
As far as MSNBC goes I believe this is protected under freedom of the press. You don't want to be publicly humiliated? Don't try to have sex with children!
If the police weren't there you might have an argument, but while working with the police? Sorry, rules change.

i'm just saying it in the sense that, he was about to molest. a child. (and don't give me the crap" he didn't do it, you don't know if he would've done it." bullshit, he'd posed as a child and had been planning it to the finest detail to get that child) that those who are clearly guilty like that should be scoffed at for even making the attempt to sue.
thinking about committing a crime, is not a crime. the bottom line was he did not actually molest anyone. when this nation becomes utterly controlled by a Gestapo police force, it is going to be thanks to people like you who are willing to give away more and more of your freedoms and rights in an exchange for the illusion of safety.
yeah there is a difference between randomly being put on the spot, in the heat of a crime in progress, and doing what molesters like on that show did, they pre meditated it for weeks/months, i'm pretty sure if i went around pretending to being one of your cousins/relatives age, then went to their house in attempt to molest them, you'd be pretty fuckin peeved and have had the police at the ready.

so what, would you rather just have the police let the molester have their way with the child/children before they do a damn thing?
You are missing the point on purpose to validate your claim. There was no child involved, at all. there was no actual victim. That is why it is wrong, because he is being charged with the "attempted molestation" of a non-existent child. His intent is irrelevant, their is no victim, not even in theory.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
pyrate said:
magnuslion said:
They do not get convicted for sexual activities with a minor, they get charged with attempting to do it, which is a crime.
with attempting to molest who? a federal agent? a non existent child? are you getting it yet?

So let me explain something to all of you. I am not in support of pedophiles. If you think that, it is likely because you are unable or unwilling to think about this situation in intellectual terms. for example: I hate the westboro baptist church. I am a Messianic Jew, and to watch how they blaspheme Messiah with their bullshit sends me into a rage. I would like to see them shut down and personally punch all the males in the face.

However: I support their right to say what they want to say, regardless of how wrong what I think they are saying is. Because If we tell them they cannot speak their minds, it will be a slippery slope down for the rest of Freedom of Speech.

Similarly, if we allow Chris Hansen, federal agents, and local police to pull shady crap in the course of dealing with pedophiles, we are opening the door to further abuse of the system and rules by cops in all kinds of situations. If we give them a sense of entitlement in the ability to break the rules, we should not be surprised when they take it a step further.

Sep 14, 2009
magnuslion said:
gmaverick019 said:
magnuslion said:
gmaverick019 said:
ravensheart18 said:
hotsauceman said:
ace_of_something said:
That is entrapment.

gmaverick019 said:

*pedophile sits down*

usmarine4160 said:

You are missing the point on purpose to validate your claim. There was no child involved, at all. there was no actual victim. That is why it is wrong, because he is being charged with the "attempted molestation" of a non-existent child. His intent is irrelevant, their is no victim, not even in theory.
actually alot of times they used their own pictures as children, so at one point yeah, the child isn't "non existent", they are just grown up.

do people get arrested/crimed for attempted murder? for attempted theft? (can't think of crimes off the top of my head right now, a bit fuzzy from studying for class) why would molestation be any different?

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Ubermetalhed said:
Not that I'm against them catching paedophiles but I have always, regardless of what this idiot is sueing for, thought that the level of entrapment on the show is ridiculous.

I mean the girl/boy is of legal age, they help put words into the predators mouth to an extent, they make them bring potential evidence i.e tell them to bring condoms, beer etc and then lure them out and catch them on television. I mean technically they've come over to have sexual relations with someone of a legal age but I understand that if they weren't legal they would potentially still do so.

I guess the entrapment is justified in catching these people although there have been cases of those with no record of felonies with minors who then have their entire lives ruined for making an extremely stupid mistake.
Came here to say pretty much this.

On the one hand, if they're willing to do it once (i.e., for the show), they'd likely have done it anyway, so it's just as well they get caught.

On the other hand, you have to wonder whether any of them were people who might not have ever acted on anything without the prodding of the fake kid for the show.

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
When it comes to child molesters, I rather see them humiliated than to wait for them to actually commit rape in order to give them a proper trial.

Or maybe this is just overprotective father in me speaking...

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
My problem is they lure the guys with the thought of consent(even if underage) its still consent
and im pretty sure the "child actors" are older than consent and the fact that they are being paid to act as bait to arrest/jail people, give them sex offender status aka (ruin their life) is more evil than wanting some consentful nookie.

none of this is right, its just a matter of which is more wrong in your eye.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
ravensheart18 said:
hotsauceman said:
ace_of_something said:
That is entrapment.
No. It's not. It's only entrapment if we force you to commit the crime or create circumstances in which you have no choice to commit the crime.

Example: My old department would leave out dummy cars. Cars unlocked with a key in the ignition. They also had hidden cameras in the cars. They would then arrest people who stole the car. Not once did a lawyer, judge or anyone bring up this is entrapment. Yes, it's 'enticing' because it would be such an easy car to steal. But no one is MAKING you do it. Hundreds of other people walked by and did nothing. A handful of people actually reach in the car and lock the keys in. (I think they were trying to be helpful.)

I don't know how more plainly I can put it. Wikipedia does a good job here though

For entrapment to occur the following three conditions must be met: (ALL OF THEM)
1. The idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime.
2. Government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. Simply giving someone the opportunity to commit a crime is not the same as persuading them to commit that crime.
3. The person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before interaction with the government agents.

Does the TCAP show meet all those criteria? Is the question. I can see it going either way.