Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey as Joel and Ellie in upcoming Last of Us show.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really don't care how "source accurate" an actor LOOKS for a character. I care that they can actually act, and carry a performance properly. I'm sure Josh Brolin would do just fine, as he's actually a very good actor, Gerard Butler....eh, I think there's a reason he's never really been in anything above B grade action flicks and romcoms.

Don't really know Pedro Pascal's work enough to comment either way.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Either would be better than Pascal.
But I don't care one way or another frankly. Not after TLoU 2.
Eh, frankly I think Butler is just not a very good actor, so I doubt he would really convey any emotional weight/loss well enough. Pascal, again, don't really know his work, as I don't watch the Mando, and didn't see WW84. He was fine in GoT I guess, but he wasn't in it enough to really make much of an impression.

But I also don't really care about TLoU either. I liked the story just fine, hated the gameplay. But there's nothing really groundbreaking for me, from a narrative standpoint, to make me consider it anything I'd want to pay to watch.

Reactions: Kae and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, frankly I think Butler is just not a very good actor, so I doubt he would really convey any emotional weight/loss well enough. Pascal, again, don't really know his work, as I don't watch the Mando, and didn't see WW84. He was fine in GoT I guess, but he wasn't in it enough to really make much of an impression.

But I also don't really care about TLoU either. I liked the story just fine, hated the gameplay. But there's nothing really groundbreaking for me, from a narrative standpoint, to make me consider it anything I'd want to pay to watch.
I could never get into Butler's films. The most I've seen from him was 300, Olympus Has Fallen, and London Has Fallen. I've yet to see the third movie, though I have little interests in watching that. As for the last of us I'm not even touching the movie. Not worth my time. I'll be waiting for the Resident Evil movie that's going to be an actual accurate adaption to the first game. Definitely more interesting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I could never get into Butler's films. The most I've seen from him was 300, Olympus Has Fallen, and London Has Fallen. I've yet to see the third movie, though I have little interests in watching that. As for the last of us I'm not even touching the movie. Not worth my time. I'll be waiting for the Resident Evil movie that's going to be an actual accurate adaption to the first game. Definitely more interesting.
I remember seeing 300, and ...was it Gamer? Where he was the convict that was being controlled in an IRL shooter tournament? I remember that film mostly because of the wonderful performance from Michael C. Hall, as the villain. I honestly am not sure if I've ever seen any other Butler films from start to finish. And if I did, I've completely dumped them from short and long term memory.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember seeing 300, and ...was it Gamer? Where he was the convict that was being controlled in an IRL shooter tournament? I remember that film mostly because of the wonderful performance from Michael C. Hall, as the villain. I honestly am not sure if I've ever seen any other Butler films from start to finish. And if I did, I've completely dumped them from short and long term memory.
Gamer from 2009. Yeah, it was pretty boring. It has all the worst parts of the filmmaking in the late 2000s. Grim & gritty aesthetic with real is brown and gray? Check. Shaky cam? Big check. Coming off as a worse version of The Running Man, double check. I am so glad I never went to theaters to see it. I downloaded it on Torrents. After I watched it, I instantly deleted it and forgot about it. The same guys that made Gamer also did two of the Crank movies and Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Eh, frankly I think Butler is just not a very good actor, so I doubt he would really convey any emotional weight/loss well enough.
I don't think he's good, I think he's good enough. He leads better than he acts. And if Troy Baker is the emotional baseline for Joel, I'm sure Butler can pull it. Saw him in Greenland recently and he plays a distraught dad in the midst of an apocalypse pretty convincingly. His characters are always angry and a little bit pathetic as well, which suits Joel.

Pascal on the other hand brings absolutely nothing to anything he's in. He's a character actor who got a lucky break by playing someone with a bucket for a head.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh shit! I just looked up Bella Ramsey! She's the little bear! Nice!

Pascal on the other hand brings absolutely nothing to anything he's in. He's a character actor who got a lucky break by playing someone with a bucket for a head.
I think he got his "lucky break" from his time on GoT playing a sexy and suave, charming guy, with lots of charisma and passion....before having his head reduced to the contents of a bucket *coughs*

Reactions: Gordon_4

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They both look the part and Pascal seems like a decent enough actor too, I never really noticed anything wrong with the guy. Bella Ramsey has a pretty thick accent though, so I wonder how well she'll be able to go American. She's also the voice of Hilda from Hilda, by the way.

But TLoU2 exists, so anything to do with this franchise is just ash in my mouth now. Even if TLoU2's story wasn't pretentious shit I'd still be indifferent.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
They both look the part and Pascal seems like a decent enough actor too, I never really noticed anything wrong with the guy. Bella Ramsey has a pretty thick accent though, so I wonder how well she'll be able to go American. She's also the voice of Hilda from Hilda, by the way.

But TLoU2 exists, so anything to do with this franchise is just ash in my mouth now. Even if TLoU2's story wasn't pretentious shit I'd still be indifferent.
What exactly was wrong with 2 at all from a gameplay perspective?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What exactly was wrong with 2 at all from a gameplay perspective?
Nothing really, apart from it flying in the face of the serious, grounded story it was trying to convey. The one saving grace of this game are the fun and intense stealth action playgrounds.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Nothing really, apart from it flying in the face of the serious, grounded story it was trying to convey. The one saving grace of this game are the fun and intense stealth action playgrounds.
So how exactly did it flew in the face of it being a serious grounded story?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think he got his "lucky break" from his time on GoT playing a sexy and suave, charming guy, with lots of charisma and passion....before having his head reduced to the contents of a bucket *coughs*
Ah, your both wrong. Clearly his lucky break was WW84. The bestest movie that ever was /s

Reactions: happyninja42

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oh shit! I just looked up Bella Ramsey! She's the little bear! Nice!

Can't speak for his guest spot in GoT, never watched the show except for the fight between The Mountain and Pedro's stunt double. I saw his "suave, sexy" act in Kingsman and thought nothing of it. He's serviceable but I don't think he brings anything in particular to a part.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's the review thread. Enjoy your stay.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Can't speak for his guest spot in GoT, never watched the show except for the fight between The Mountain and Pedro's stunt double. I saw his "suave, sexy" act in Kingsman and thought nothing of it. He's serviceable but I don't think he brings anything in particular to a part.
Oh yeah, he was in Kingsman 2, I forgot all about that. Your comment about "servicable but nothing in particular" is pretty much my opinion about Butler. I mean, if you want a work a day actor for the role, fine I guess. But I just don't think he's got enough depth of range to really make it work, regardless of how well he fills out the spandex, I mean scruffy, loner, dad bod in a post-apocalypse.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because it tried very hard to portray its characters as real human beings and totally not unrealistic videogame characters, and then proceeded to give them huge kill counts. Something the first game smartly writes around and manages to just skirt by, but completely falls apart in the sequel when they try to do it again and not only apply it to a character who is very much a wrong fit for it, warping her in the process, but also increasing the grounded tone. There's a pretentious tone to how the game portrays its violence, as if it is the first videogame to legitimately adress it, but then gives you the most basic 'kill 100+ dudes' gameplay to experience it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Joel is not a difficult character to play. It shouldn't be too hard to sleepwalk through that performance. Ellie is the tricksy one to achieve sincerity.